Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A great "dad move"!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thesamhill, Sep 14, 2018.

1. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    I wanted to take an old water softener out of our new-to-us house. I really like learning new skills, and I'd never done plumbing on pipes, just replaced fixtures. So my father in law came over and walked me through it.

We did the job together, but I didn't do any soldering of the pipes. Part of me was a bit bummed about that, but then I thought, well, I need it to actually hold water so probably best this way.

But he explained and we walked through every step, from draining the water in the house to prepping the fittings and tinning the pipe, to soldering, to testing it out.

When we were done, he was getting ready to leave and he set all the tools he was using on a folding table. He said, I'm gonna leave all this stuff with you. I don't really need it anymore, we just moved into a condo, I don't do much plumbing these days. Here's some extra fittings, too, that we didn't use." And he sets them next to the pipes we took out.

At the time I said thanks, I appreciated it, if you ever need any of it just let me know.

But now, the day after, I finally realize- I just got a full-day class in basic plumbing and a beginner's plumbing toolbox. I also got a pipe-soldering practice kit, so I can do the one thing I didn't get to do (yet still have well-connected pipes). AND I checked something off my house to-do list. Whoa!

All I can say is, that's a seriously strong dad move. I'm gonna have to put that one in my "dad bag o' tricks" for when my own kids get to that age.

2. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    Congrats and consider this the first step of your initiation! :)

thesamhill likes this.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Or like your mom leaving a bag of groceries at your first apartment
    and 2 pans.

thesamhill, skunqesh and tery like this.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I took out an old water softener in the first house we bought. Had you cut it open, you most likely could have seen a colony of miniature snails living inside the tank. That's what I did and that's what I found. I have never had the desire to install a water softener since that experience. How this is possible since the one I had required salt to work I have no idea, but I can shut my eyes as I'm typing this and still see the tiny little snails.

thesamhill likes this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought this was going to be a GIF thread.

[​IMG]

6. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Love it. A solid move on his part and a solid move on yours to see the importance/generosity of his gesture (and regarding passing it on yourself in time). The "rightest" thing I've read all day.

thesamhill likes this.

7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Wimauma Florida
    Its kind of cool watching the solder defy gravity when you hook up a vertical pipe

thesamhill likes this.

8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Dad will now call You to come over to fix his plumbing :)

thesamhill likes this.

9. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    My dad, a "Jack-of-All-Trades", never hired a tradesman/repairman in his life. If he couldn't build it or fix it he didn't need it anyway. As his longtime apprentice that rudimentary knowledge I gathered has carried over for most of my adult life.
    The one best bit of wisdom he passed on to me is "there's a right tool for every job". My garage and tool shed are a testament to that theory.
    He passed away several years ago, but, the brick mailbox he and I built in front of my house nearly 30 years ago is a pleasant reminder of what a great dad he was.

10. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Op is already doing that. ;)

thesamhill and tery like this.

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

dude, that made me super weepy. it is part of the 'putting things away' thing that really mature, cool people do... a TOTAL labor of love and devotion and care... man..... that is a master's class in how to turn over the keys...

I've been working on a project for a couple of years and part of my calculation is how many more years I can do hard hard hard labor... I want to leave something to my children that they can have and enjoy and love like I do... and take it over and own it... your post teaches me so much about how to do that...

thank you!

thesamhill likes this.

12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    That's the truth. When the time comes, these guitars are not going to random strangers.

thesamhill likes this.

13. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    @Toto'sDad I've always had some mild allergies. I've been having a mild but detectable reaction in the basement that's gone now that the softener is gone. There's no way I'm looking in there

That IS weird. I didn't get to see it much because the pipes we were reconnecting were more or less straight across, but that's one thing I want to do when I'm practicing on the leftover pipes.

Yup! I'll be there!

That's another reason this is such a great dad move. He's looking out for my mother in law- if he's not around or sick or something, he knows there's someone around who's willing and able to pitch in.

And the cherry on top is... now there's some space opened up in his tool closet! I mean, no one says you have to be completely selfless when you do stuff like this, right? :)

@getbent yeah, man. It's a good lesson to have. I'm just glad I realized what happened- it was pretty subtle, it could have easily whooshed right over my head

tery likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.