A first for me: A pretty sweet bass build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Nov 20, 2013.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I'm positive they're not sand-throughs, and it's not scratches. The lacquer looks almost like it's full of tiny bubbles in those areas. I'll pick up some blush eraser from Woodcraft after work today and see if that helps. *fingers crossed

Thanks for the advice, Mete. Regardless at which point it comes, learning better ways to do something is always a good idea ;). Sanding each coat after the first few definitely sounds like a way to get a better final finish.

As I said above, I'll pick up some blush eraser today and see if that does it. I'm cautiously optimistic because I really don't want to have to go back to bare wood again. I guess the plus side is that my technique has gotten markedly better with each version :lol:.

2. RogerC

Well I made the trip to Woodcraft after work yesterday (about 30 minutes out of my way) only to find out they didn't have any blush eraser or any retardant. So I mixed up a 50/50 mix of lacquer/thinner when I got him and tried that. I don't think it worked too well. Looks like I'll be doing some aggressive wet sanding when I get home today. I figure I'll sand out the blush areas and recoat with lacquer. I guess that's why lacquer has been so highly favored over the years; easy to remove and repair.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe just try misting on some straight thinner. . . .

4. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried Sherwin Williams for blush eraser?

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Man this dang bass is a fighter! Kick it's a...I mean butt this time Rog! :lol:

6. RogerC

I thought about that, but I'd not seen anyone do that before and figured there must be a reason :neutral:

I haven't. There's one just down the street from where I work, so I'll give them a call. If they do have it, I'll be pretty irritated with myself for not thinking of them first instead of driving 30 minutes to Woodcraft. Of course that means I'll be irritated with you, too, for not suggesting this sooner :lol:

I'm trying, Mark. Luckily (despite my many outbursts during builds and threatening to sell all my tools), I'm actually pretty stubborn :lol:. After a certain point on this build, I've just gotten to where I expect things to go wrong and then set about trying to fix them. :D

7. RogerC

I got the top sanded down with 400 grit again and paid special attention to the blush areas. The worst spot I just couldn't seem to get down to, and the other areas seems to disappear, but to be honest, I'm not going to know for sure until I start polishing again. I sprayed another coat of lacquer last night and plan to wet sand 800 and 1000 grits tonight. I'll then start polishing again and see how it looks.

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I did it during the challenge this year (let's overlook that I failed to finish.....) to see how well it levelled coats out. I liked it. I will do it again as a final levelling coat before any sanding. (Only spraying onto a horizontal surface of neck/body, though, for obvious reasons....)

Of course, like most things, I only did it after reading about it somewhere here on TDPRI.

9. R. Stratenstein

I think I read somewhere that Preeb does it on some of his builds to level. No real difference between that and using blush eraser, just retarded lacquer solvent.

10. RogerC

Well, I'm calling the finish done. My options right now are to spend another 2 months trying to get it perfect, or go ahead and get it together and enjoy it. There's still a spot of blush, but it's not terrible. Also, it's not a perfect finish like so many that we see on here. Overall, though, I'm calling it a successful first go 'round at a lacquer/burst. I learned so much during this stage, and I will do it again (probably on the LP I build myself some day).

I'll do the assembly and set-up tomorrow, then I'll send it through QC, which consists of getting my hot-rod bass-playing friend and another professional bassist to put it through its paces. I've been doing some research, and I'm going to set it up to not have much of the "mwah" sound usually associated with a fretless. If that needs to change later, it's just a matter of straightening the neck and lowering the action since it's actually a little buzzing that creates the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

11. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

Excellent man, congrats. I really hope ya post a vid of this baby being jammed!

12. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

PM me when you decide to get rid of your DP:D

I'm happy for you that you're done. Like others, can't wait to hear that really beautiful bass.

13. R. Stratenstein

Hey, let's face it, all guitars are born to start getting relicked the day they're first played. A little bit of blush, or whatever the heck it is, won't even be noticeable when she's been played for a year or so, there will be others. . . .:( The only sadder thing would be if she sat without fulfilling her destiny, which is to make a lot of music!

Anyway, she's beautiful even with a blush spot. Congrats on pushing through all the challenges you went through on this one!

14. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Hey Rog, I feel your pain in the finishing department. I think it's more difficult to finish an instrument than it is to build the dang thing! You're the only one who's gonna know about the flaws though buddy! No one else is gonna notice. Looking forward to hearing it man, it's a beautiful bass!

15. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Taken me 2 nights to read through this lots but it was worth it and I have no doubt that bass will be worth all your struggles to, she's stunning! Congratulation on another epic build.

16. RogerC

Thanks, Cap. I hope to get a vid later this weekend.

:lol:My DP would be severely intimidated by yours.

Thanks, Rick. :)

Thanks, Brian. After all the heartburn during the build, I am happy with the result.

Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate that.

17. RogerC

Setup is always a tense time for me, and it was even more so with this bass. I wasn't liking what I was hearing last night and this morning, and I was in a pretty foul mood. It basically meant that the last 9 months were wasted. I went ahead and put it in the car, and we headed to Tulsa (an hour away) to visit my bass-playing friend who helped me design this. We went to GC on his lunch break so he could test it out. Final verdict: he loved it. WHEW! He said the action was great, and it sounded very nice. The only problem I'm having is the blend pot. It's acting more as a 3-way switch and less of a blend. My buddy gave me the phone # to bestbassgear.com and said that he's THE man. So I called Max, and he thinks one of the pickups is out of phase and told me how to fix it. He was an awesome wealth of information, so I'll be dealing with him in the future (if I build any more basses :rolleyes:). Anyway, I'll get wiring fixed tonight.

Here are a few quick pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And while I was at my buddy's work, I stopped by my hardwood dealer which is about a block away, and he had this beautiful piece of pau ferro. I'm trying to decided whether to use this as a neck or to cut it up for fret boards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Fantabulous !!!

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

That is VERY sweet Rog.

What's next? :D

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Well done Rog! We need a video!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.