A first for me: A pretty sweet bass build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Nov 20, 2013.

1. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I looked at Woodcraft's site today and they have Behlen's lacquer retardant for $16 a quart. The blush eraser is also on sale for $9 a can.

2. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Nice, Roger!

3. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

That body is to die for....

4. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Late to the party but Roger, my friend, ( and I know you'll take this the right way) you'd be a fool not to offer this as your primadonna model!

It's so lovely, I am sure people will stand in line to get it and they'll wait 6 months after ordering!

Seriously... Great work!

5. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

dayumn that looks good!!

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That really looks terrific Roger!

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. Thanks so much for all the nice words, everyone. I didn't expect this kind of reaction. I really appreciate it.

8. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

You didn't expect this? Really? Because that is the most beautiful bass body, scratch that, the most beautiful body of any kind I have ever seen in my entire life. Then again im only 17. Seriously though, just breathtaking!

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sometimes you're too close to the woods to see the trees, but yeah, Roger, that is an exceptionally beautiful guitar. I'm not just saying this because I'm you bud.

(I am saying it in hopes you'll build one just like it for me! :D) Naah, just kidding. Unless of course you WANT to build one just like it for me. ;):twisted: In all your spare time I mean.

10. RogerC

:lol: Ok, so yeah, your opinion has no bearing because of your age :twisted:

J/K - seriously, thank you.

I think that must be the case, Rick. I'm seeing all the little imperfections and everything else, and while I'm happy with how it's turning out, I'm just not as bowled over as others seem to be.

:lol: I'm not sure I could build another one of these if I wanted to. :lol:

And now it's time for something else I've never done.
    ][​IMG]

I've actually been out there for the past several hours wet sanding. I got everything nice and level and smooth, so I just shot another heavy coat of lacquer. I'll get one more on and then see where I'm at. I'm sure I'll be needing pointers to get things where I want them. I'm a complete stranger to the Finely Finished sub-forum, so I'm definitely in foreign waters here.

11. RogerC

My last 2 heavy coats are on, so I plan to finish everything up tomorrow. My thinking for finishing the finish is this:

1. Wet sand 400, 800, 1000, 1500
    2. Use Mother's scratch remover
    3. Polish - what polish would you recommend?

Any advice on process, procedure, products?

12. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Is that Valspar lacquer going to be ready for sanding and buffing tomorrow?

13. RogerC

It is. I wet sanded today after spraying yesterday, and it went fine. I'll be buffing by hand, so I'm not worried about too much friction heat on that step.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

14. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Looking forward to seeing the results.

15. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Can't wait to see the shine on it. Great job Roger!

16. R. Stratenstein

1. Unless you've got some really heavy orange peeling, or rough surfaces, I'd start with 600, but I tend to be chicken!~ :eek: Anything but a sand-thru! If you're going to hand-do it all the way, and want a "mirror" finish, it'll go faster, I believe, if you go as high at 2000 grit, or maybe even higher, before you start with the liquid polishes.

I like Maguiar's Swirl Remover used as polish. It takes a bit more elbow grease, but because it is so very fine, there's little danger of causing problems with what you've already accomplished.

Are you planning on using a protective wax over the finish?

17. RogerC

thank you, guys.

thanks for the info, Rick. I'm not necessarily going for a mirror finish. I think that would be a bit much to ask for my very first attempt. And it's a good thing I'm not, see my post below for today's progress:

Once I got home from everything I had going on today, I decided to get as much done here as I could. I wet sanded 400, 800, 1000 and then stopped. I didn't see much difference between the different grits, so I figured I see what it looked like with the scratch remover applied. The good news is that the depth came back, and it was looking pretty good; a bunch of minor scratches, so it wasn't a Herb finish, but it was completely acceptable for my first attempt at something like this. Then these showed up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm referring to the cloudy spots like what you're seeing at either end of the f hole. I thought I saw hints of them during different stages, but I thought they might sand out. No luck. Are they something that would clear up by flooding it with blush eraser, or would I have to take all the lacquer off?

18. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Very nice work Roger.

My sanding process also includes 2,000 and 3,000 grit. Then its Turtle Wax red rubbing compound, and Turtle Wax polishing compound.

19. R. Stratenstein

Hard to tell for certain from the photos, Roger, are you certain they're not sand-throughs? They almost look like spots where the finer grits didn't clean up the earlier grits, or yeah, maybe blush. If the color's good underneath those spots, you'll be OK--try a spritz of blush eraser on them, see if they go away or get better. You'll have to re-polish, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to start at a much higher grit paper.

20. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I know that throwing out smart advice at such moments is a no-go but we put 3 coats of clear and starting from there we sand every clear coat level with 1200 grit before the new one. We let them dry well before obviously. Looking at the pics, I'd say there is an almost sand-through there but luckily I have been wrong befire so many times. I hope the blush eraser and some finer grit works for you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.