Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A few tubes from the rummage sale

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by CK Dexter Haven, Sep 16, 2017.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    IMG_1512.JPG Local church was having a "white elephant" this AM. In a box full of TV tubes from " dads garage" were these .25 each..
    No idea if they are good, but the boxes are cool.

hrstrat57 and twr1 like this.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, those are some good tubes, provided that they're healthy. I love those Tung-Sol 6V6GTs. The Delco-labeled one could also be a Tung-Sol, but you'll have to check the codes on the base of the tube. Tung-Sol is 322. That GE 5Y3GT is fine, too. Can you take some pictures of the actual tubes and the numbers on them? If you decide at some point you have no need for them, I'm always interested in the Tung-Sol 6V6GTs, especially if they're the 50's "black glass" type. I kind of collect them.

3. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Put them in your TV and see if they work .
    Seriousy though, good score. The car radio tubes should be good.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

4. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Yes the Delco is 322 also, I'll take a few pix, I do have a few amps that use these, but I will keep you in mind.

5. Mountianjustice

Mountianjustice Tele-Meister

Ive got a GM 12AU7 around here somewhere its one of the best sounding au7's ive ever heard

6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    One of these days I hope to be so lucky. Nice score

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    The 12AU7's may be and can be tried without hurting anything. They're low-gain and similar to 12Ax and AT7's.

The 6V6's should be run on a tube tester to check for shorts. But you can't check tube quality on a common tester. The plate voltage is far too low. With no shorts you could try them in a Champ, though. I would not use them as a pair in anything.

I'm leery of old 5Y3's, even if they make it through a tube tester. I've encountered far too many "swap meet" boxed and used ones that failed, and good original ones hardly ever fail .

Dan R likes this.

8. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Well found out my home town tech retired, this is not good, as everyone else is in the city, where i prefer not to go. I will ask around at the ham-fest in a few weeks, maybe some one has a basic tester.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Before I got my ElCheapo tube tester I'd use a light bulb limiter on an amp first to see if a tube was shorted. Figured that out after I blew a fuse with a shorted one.
    Ain't exactly scientific but it gives you some idea if the tubes going to hurt the amp.

10. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Interesting, I probably should try to get something; I have a few other tubes including some 6L6g's a 6K6 and a few others.

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Emission testers can be found for $25 or so at electronics swap meets and are often fine for "pass/fail" testing (but again, NOT quality). Even these usually need service before they work OK, though. Still, could be useful for a 6K6, but unless you have a use for single 6L6's they might not be worth fooling with. If they're not the same make and identical in construction it's very unlikely they can be matched in an amp after shorts testing.

Transconductance testers will cost more money to have serviced than the purchase price and still aren't very useful because of the low plate voltages.

I've found "loose" tubes nowadays to usually not be worth the hassle - while 15 years ago I'd buy boxes of 12A*7 types. Seems like good "not previously found" NOS tubes are hard to find nowadays, and loose "pulls" are mostly junk. I used to look at all of them - now I walk on by.

12. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    My understanding after reading a few threads here is that my VHT Special 6 can run a single 6L6(no more power.. different tone) $25 or so would be fine for a basic tester, it's just a modest hobby, more of a interest than anything else; tubes turn up occasionally, I have a few old radios, amps & a basic Techtronix 'scope, that i'm interested in learning to use safely so as to do basic repairs.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    It would be more revealing if you'd post pic of actual tube in the box. If labeling on tube matches what's on the box chances are better that it's a brand new (NIB) tube.

If Delco or TS 6V6 match what box says, I'd have no problem just popping those in VHT (single ended, self basing) for a unverified trial, just watch them as they as they warm up and be ready to shut down if you see redplating or sparks inside tube.

From my experience they really did test and screen tubes better back then. If box and tube matches, with that amp, 95% of time you can just drop them in with no testing and have zero problems.

The 12au7, I'd drop those in VHT without fear, as stated above watch them as they warm up and be ready to shut it down if needed. Don't be surprised those are actually RCA, GE or Sylvania, all great tubes but you VHT will now be a totally clean amp that you have to run vol at close to max to get up same vol as a 12ax7.

At .25¢ a tube I'd hit that score for sure. That's a awesome deal.

14. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    Nice find there by CK Dexter Haven ...

Got me thinking about two things, first one already pretty well covered here ...
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/converting-old-record-player-into-guitar-amp.256741/ ...
    thinking back to the days when, as kids, we used to wire into our parents record players to amplify our atrocious Rosetti guitars (we thought them the bees knees at the time). I can still sense that evocative smell of the tubes warming up ... just don't get the same from amps these days.

Secondly, again remembering back to the days when most things were actually repaired out of warranty ... the thought of discovering a hidden room or attic full of NOS Sovteks or Tung Sols etc in a shop that was once the Audio/TV repairers. What a potential mother lode to hit!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.