Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A few questions for pedalboard users

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gmm52, Dec 31, 2017.

1. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Southern Ontario
    I know some pedal boards come with built in power, which can then shut off all pedals, but for those pedal users who prefer batteries, how do you deal with shutdown of the board? Do you unplug the input of each unit, or is there some kind of switch available?

And what are some decent commercial pedal boards for me to consider? I would probably have no more than 7 or 8 pedals, mind you, of odd sizes. Any recommendations?

2. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2009
    visalia, CA
    I know that when most pedals are plugged in with a DC or AC adapter, the batteries are not drained. I would assume that
    plugging in an adapter would save the battery life even if the adapter was not powered. So you could find the right sized plugs and plug them in when not in use, or just unplug the input. I cant find a pedal board I love, but Pedal Trains are pretty good.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I've got a couple of pedal trains and another fir my big board. I use one spot for 9v power daisy chained. So, if I want to use battery, I can just unplug.

Vespa_One likes this.

4. Noface

Noface TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    What would be the advantage of using batteries over a power supply like voodoo lab’s?

5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    According to some tone purists batteries have a better edge. Also, theres much less chance of power surges etc. (although I think voodoo lab would handle those). It might be that batteries are cheaper. That would depend on your usage etc.

Noface likes this.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS

Yea, the way pedals work once you stick a power adapter in the power jack it disconnects the battery, so you can just insert dummy plugs in power jacks. But then by time you go through that hassle why not just pull all the batteries and hook up a power supply. Only 2 pedals I use on battery are a couple of fuzz which actually do sound better with cheap carbon zinc batteries.

As far as which board.

The ones with built in supplies are usually not very good supplies, they are usually just like a one spot supply with built in splitter. They have no isolation if you need that.

As far size goes, your asking a loaded question. Do you have 2 Strymon and 5 boss sized pedals. Or do you have 3 boss sized and 4 Chinese mini sized pedals.

Here this is only 6 pedals and a power supply. Can pretty much guarantee that most of those boards with built in power supply are not going to be able to power these pedals and if they do have enough amperage to cut it it will be noisy as heck being as most those pedals are going to require isolated power.

[​IMG]

You need to layout all your pedals, figure out how big a board you need and also make a list of what voltage they run at, how much current they consume. Also try to figure which ones will need isolation. Say you have a TC Ditto looper and Flashback, those for sure will need isolation.

Then once get all that info, buy a board that's a bit bigger than you need and buy a power that covers the current draw with at least 20% overhead to spare.

7. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Southern Ontario
    Thanks for all the replies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.