Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A few new ones!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    image.jpeg image.jpeg I'll have to buy a bigger home if these amps don't stop following me home
    Here's a pic of a few recent finds. In the 3-amp shot, the top amp is a 50's era Magnatone Varsity. In the middle is a Sano but the model I'm unsure of (questions to come) the bottom is a '65 Gibson GA8t.
    The other pic is a '46 Gibson BR3 in really fine condition.
    Now with the Sano, it has a tag inside saying model 300 but it clearly is not a 300. It has 1-12", 2-8"S, 2el34's with two channels. Tremolo assignable seperately to each channel and a stereo input. I also like its tube rectified.

jimytheassassin, uriah1 and Bones like this.

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Nice, congrats.

3. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Ahhhhh. The Sano is a 300S as it has a stereo channel. As Sano has other 300 series amps, I thought they would look more similar to each other. Still can't find a schematic but it runs just fine at this point anyway.

4. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2010
    Winnipeg
    A BR3 nice, very nice!
    This site said that only 79 were ever made:
    http://valvealley.com/the-amps/the-1946-gibson-br-3/

I may be lowering the value of the one I own as well as one my friend owns but it seems to me their are quite a few around. Thinking 79 made in 1946 how many would survive the trip to 2017. I have not looked at the serial numbers of these things.
    Anyways nice amp great sound. My friends was given the once over by Gar Gillis giving it some extra mojo and it it does seem to have some extra mojo it sounds unbelievable in a home setting . Does yours have the original field coil speaker.
    I also have a BR6 which with a Tele does the Kief sound better than any other amp I have heard, best kept secret. Anyways wandering off topic, thanks for sharing, your BR3 looks mint!
    Cheers Ron.

5. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Yes it's in shockingly good shape for its age and has the original speaker as well as what the previous owner believed to be all original tubes. Cool little amp and a rarity

6. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    Nice amps. I am looking at a 1958 GR-8 and I have a Sano 250R that's a great amp also. Enjoy the amp search, they pile up quick don't they?
    Thanks John

7. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Gr-8? Not familiar with that one, who makes it ?

8. brl322

brl322 NEW MEMBER!

Apr 6, 2013
    NC
    Tomm I just left you a reply on another site talking about the sano 300S. I'm not stalking you, lol. Your room looks much like mine and I've let several amps go. I love vintage amps. Thx.

Attached Files:

9. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Hey !

what's that one with the " Royal Emblem " ?

cheers

10. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    That is a Magnatone Varsity 197-3. I've only seen a couple others with that grill cloth, not sure why they are different from other Varsitys.

11. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Hey ! thatnks for that info, never saw one of these .. now i got something to dig ;)

cheers

12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    This reminds me, I've got a Sano 2-12 with verb and 2-7591s somewhere around here.
    I need to do something with that. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.