Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Double Cream humbucker set, that isn't DiMarzio, and costs only $25

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Antigua Tele, Sep 13, 2016.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you go to madeinchina.com and contact Donlis for production samples for your "store" then they're willing to do custom stuff and sell extra parts and stuff. I personally got two sets of HSH alnico 2 setups for $45 shipped. That's with nickel silver baseplates.

Edit: my humbuckers are zebra by preference. Didn't ask about double cream.

richiek65 likes this.

2. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I have sent you information.

richiek65 likes this.

3. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Any comments on the P-94s? I'm ready to order a set of these based on the overall favorable review of Donlis, but it would be great to have an independent review first.

4. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    I originally misposted this to the Donlin Tele thread, so please excuse the redundancy...
    I'm interested in trying splittable lower-wind HBs (A5 or A2) & a middle strat SC in my HSH Godin Freeway, but need 'trembucker' f-spacing for the bridge HB given tremolo -- don't really see anything listed on the Donlin AliExpress page, or am I missing something?

5. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    The humbuckers are splitable and the middle single coils you can request. Go to made-in-china.com and request a sample. Swiss Post. I got staggered poles. Flat poles are half the price per pickup for some reason.

Haven't installed them yet, but the hot Pickups and 60's single coil should mix nicely when split.

1504196775464.png

6. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Donlis has a high and low wind set. The higher wind is hot like a JB, with a DC resistance around 13k, while the lower wind set is 8k for the bridge and 7k for the neck, like a Seymour Duncan '59 set. I think they come with AlNiCo 5 bars, but that sort of thing is trivial to swap out.

Regarding "F spacing", if you search the internet for opinions about it, most seem to feel it doesn't make much of a difference, or is mostly cosmetic, so that the strings and pole pieces line up. While I haven't A/B'd the two myself, I know from other testing adventures that the amplitude doesn't really drop off unless the string completely clears the pole piece. I have numerous guitars where the strings don't perfectly line up with the pole pieces, and it's no problem.

You can gauge this real easily by selecting a pickup, then just bending the string and plucking it at the same time. See how the volume changes as you bend the string further from the pole piece. Some players perceive a drop in volume when doing a string bend, but personally I don't really notice much until the string is literally in between two pole pieces, with the signal being perfectly clean.

7. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Is that one wound with thinner wire like a real JB or is it just overwound with 42 like all those other cheap chinese humbuckers on ebay.

8. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Good question. I'll have to look at them later.

9. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    43 or 44 AWG. It's impossible to get up to 13k on PAF bobbins with 42 AWG. I think it maxes out somewhere around 9k, then it becomes too difficult to even put tape around the coils. If you see a humbucker with more than 9k, it's likely using 43 or 44 AWG.

Just to be devious and sneaky, DiMarzio will wind one coil with 42 AWG, and another with 44 AWG. And just to be a PITA, DiMarzio claimed that doing this somehow represented a technological benefit, and patented the practice.

If you were somehow able to wind 42 AWG up to 13k on a PAF, the inductance would probably be astronomical, easily in excess of 11 henries, and it would sound like your tone knob was always turned down.

10. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The internet tells me that the JB is ~16k wound with 44 gauge at ~9H. Those chinese ebay pickup are ~16k and muddy as hell without the high end clarity of real JBs. The Donlis are ~13k and 9.6H (43awg?).

Is the difference here mainly attributed to wire gauge or is there something else going on here? Are those Donlis really going to sound like JBs?

11. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I think the JB's inductance is closer to 8H. Hard to say why your Chinese pickup was muddy by comparison, it would have to be evaluated. There could be something about it that is causing excessive damping, or it might not actually be right at 9 henries. The wire gauge has almost no effect on the tone. The higher resistance of finer wire lowers the Q factor very slightly.

As I'm not really a fan of hot pickups, I never bought the Donlis high output model, nor a JB, so I can't compare either one.

12. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I have a set of the Donlis High output and they sound GREAT to my ears! If anyone else has tried them I'd love to hear what they think. I just put a set of the A5 Vintage Zebra humbuckers in... these pickups are quite a bit quieter than all my other humbuckers. They sound good but the volume difference makes me wonder if I wired something wrong. Anybody use the A5 vintage?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sel...t/509848008.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.hrCnMl

G&Lplayer likes this.

13. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I've got a set of A2 pickups with similar inductance and resistance and they don't seem quieter than the pickups they replace (Dimarzio Super Distortion / Ibanez Super 58). They're the Donlis DH22.

I've also got a set of covered A5 Donlis pickups, again with similar inductance/resistance that seem normal too. They replaced a Fury 50's rocker and a Screamin Demon. They're the Donlis DL51.

I recorded both guitars before/after the swaps and the pickup levels seem about the same in the recordings. The Donlis bridge was a bit louder than the Fury it replaced.

Vespa_One likes this.

14. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    I don't meant to go off-topic, but as I can't find any mention anywhere else, does anyone know of, or comment on the quality of any other Donlis products, such as bridges, pots and switches, etc?

15. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’ve bought a bunch of parts from them. Some things just weren’t right but overall I’ve been happy.
    • I bought some 3-ply mint Strat pick guards + screws and they’re great. They’ve got a decent amount of shielding and they fit better than the original pickguard.
    • I bought a bunch of pull/pots which are ok. They aren’t as rugged as an S-1 switch you’ll find from fender and the pots are smaller but they do the job just fine.
    • I bought some knobs which are just cheap and poorly finished but once they’re cleaned up, they’re ok.
    • I bought a couple of black Telecaster control plates and they’re not the right size. They’re about 5% larger than they should be. Just enough that I can’t use them with a pick guard.
    • I bought those nickel silver covers and they’re great. They fit their pickups as well as any non-overwound humbuckers I’ve got.
    My thoughts are that they produce some very good parts: pickups, covers, pickguards and that’s what I’ll buy from them. I can get electrical parts from Mouser or Digikey and things like knobs, switches I can get from Fender.

Telesphere likes this.

16. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Thanks for that, much appreciated.

17. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    I know it's been a year but I finally put these in a project guitar of mine. I crank my amps pretty hard and rarely play clean, so I waxed them just to be sure of eliminating any feedback problems.

These pickups sound great. I've tried two or three different sets of pickups in the same price range and these are no doubt the best. Looking at the pictures it does seem that they are identical to the Donlis.

18. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you follow the GM link above to their actual Ebay listing, the fine print states that those pickups are made in Korea, but the Donlis ones are known to be made in China. Maybe the GM listing is in error as to the origin. Nonetheless, still good to have a recommendation for the GM ones. I have heard great things about the GM P-94s too.

19. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Considering how similar the base plates are, and their line of products in general, I'd say it's in error. I think GM is a reseller, because his product pictures are distinct from Donlis'. I don't actually know that Donlis is an OEM, although the fact that they've been reportedly fulfilling custom requests makes me think they could be.

bender66 likes this.

20. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Another double cream set from China. Not Donlis, but it appears to be a similar recipe with a brass base plate and DC resistance values in the 8k range.

One difference that is visible here is that the wax potting drip holes at the ends of the bobbin are round holes instead of the usual square shape.

They list the values as 8.2k for the neck and 8.6k for the bridge, which is little hotter than the Seymour Duncan 59 set the Donlis set appeared to be based on. These values are fairly close to Seymour Duncan's Whole Lotta Humbucker set, which also has balanced DC resistances in the 8k range with AlNiCo 5 bars.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-S...-9cd6-410a-be48-1120dbd25999&rmStoreLevelAB=4

CFFF and bender66 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.