Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Double Cream humbucker set, that isn't DiMarzio, and costs only $25

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Antigua Tele, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Just contact them and ask for it. They took it down because DiMarzio apparently intimidated them as a result of this thread. They should sell if it you request it.

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thought so. I may also contact them about getting some strat Pickups with just black and white wires.

3. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I bought two sets of humbuckers. One with a high output bridge option and a regular set.

Also bought some singles for a tele. For a while this guitar was being neglected and now I can't put it down.

Well over the honeymoon period and still loving these pups.

How is everybody getting along with theirs?

bparnell57 likes this.

4. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I take an analytical view on pickups, the Donlis set in question with A5 bars is a near perfect spec match of the SD '59 set, so whether or not you like one will determine what you think of the other.

I just bought a bunch of Donlis fiber bobbin Strat sets with the intention of removing the coil wire and winding some experimental pickups. It was cheaper than ordering raw parts from StewMac, and saves on the hassle of assembly.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I've just put a Donlis DS53 set in my strat. Fantastic sound in all 5 positions.

So, thanks for the work you do on these pickups... much appreciated.

awasson and CFFF like this.

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I have ordered a set of "P94" s to fit in my Bullet Mustang .The strat sets look very interesting .Thanks for the thread .

7. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016

8. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Something went wrong up there . . .

It was your analysis that convinced me it will be worth taking a chance with these. I won't pretend that I understood it all but the numbers and comparisons have to count for something. So often we see product descriptors like "a modern vintage sound" (means nothing to me), yours for 200+ dollars. Okay if you believe you need to spend this amount of money to get some decent pups I guess. Many will not choose to try these pickups because they are too cheap. I would never say that Donlis are the best that you can buy but I am more than happy with mine and they have replaced pickups that cost much more. I am not someone who is continually looking for something better and changes their pickups every week so for the foreseeable future they will stay. Meanwhile for a better sound I will examine my playing technique.

Donlis have been great to deal with too. When a problem arose that was not of their doing and totally outside of their control they made good the situation at a cost to themselves.

I really do appreciate people like yourself who take the trouble to measure/plot their findings and share this information on the Internet. Again, thank you.

awasson and Bristlehound like this.

9. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

May 14, 2013
    greece
    Im about to hit a set of alnico 2 and i wonder ate they gonna be as good as the alnico 5?

10. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Haven't been there for a while but I am on the site now. The alnico 2 pups have received the same favorable feedback as the other stuff, so. Don't think that a change in magnet type would make for a miserable experience.

Good luck with wherever you decide to buy from anyway :)

11. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I've got the A2 cream models in one of my guitars and they are stunning. They replaced a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a coverless Ibanez Super 58.

The Donlis A2 pickups made a marked improvement. It took a few sessions to get the height dialled in but once that was sorted out they're perfect.

tubejockey and CFFF like this.

12. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

May 14, 2013
    greece
    Thanks im gonna hit them and put them in a 335 style guitar i've got.i hope the'll be sweet sounding pu's

13. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    Spanaway, WA
    Those should sound amazing in a 335 type guitar. Let us know how it goes!

14. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Like @oyobass says above me, those should sound amazing. I have a covered A5 set in my Ibanez AS100 which is a pretty good approximation of an ES335 and even with covers they sound great. The uncovered set should be just that more open and articulate.

oyobass likes this.

15. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Just a note for those who like to experiment with magnets swaps or are maybe undecided as to which type to buy, Donlis sell A2 and A5 magnets separately.

awasson likes this.

16. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes and at the relatively inexpensive entry fee, these Donlis pickups and parts make a good platform for experimenting with.

oyobass and bparnell57 like this.

17. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought a pair of the zebras, seems they no longer sell the double cream version, but I'm guessing it's only a cosmetic thing because these things sound fantastic..

18. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast

Just email them and ask for double cream. Donlis said DiMarzio asked that they remove the double cream option from aliexpress, but they still make and sell them, you just have to ask.

They do sound very good, very much like uncovered Duncan '59's.

awasson likes this.

19. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

May 14, 2013
    greece
    Well after more than a month with a set of hum's alnico 5 low output pu's and more than 10 gigs with the band playing blues funk and soul things(the guitar is a midtown gibson style) i have to say that i'm very glad that i make this choise.they sound full but clean and mellow enough when i play with my finger some things.and sure they have definition to the single notes.when over driven with my ehx east river drive 808 type ts oohhhh what a sweet thing happens in chords or soloing....but the most impressive is they are the most quiet pu's i've ever had..so i highly recommed them...and all thank to the eye opener antigua!

20. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I did ask them.. i even sent them the photo of the double creams and said that this was what i was after but they said they must have discontinued them and the zebras were now the only option.. perhaps if I'd gotten a different customer service person, i may have gotten a different answer.. but I'm not at all concerned with the color scheme, as long as they sound as good as these, they could be fluoro pink!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.