Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Craigslist first......the guy wouldn't sell to me because he's bitter.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Feb 10, 2018.

1. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

May 23, 2013
    New England
    I’ve had mostly good luck with Craigslist. I’ve bought guitars, amps, and sold guitars. The only odd interaction I’ve had was once a guy was selling a contoured style Fender Tele/Strat case in mint condition for $35. I didn’t even really need it for anything at the time but it was a steal. I agreed to come to his house that day with cash. When I got there an older gentleman opened the door. He let me in, but was very unpleasant. He asked to see the money, which I had. Then he said “Wait here”, and walked away. As I stood there I looked into the next room. There was beautiful Dana Bourgeois acoustic guitar on a stand. It looked like a museum piece. He comes back with the case, and we exchange cash and case. I then asked him “Is that a Bourgeois guitar?” He says yes, and I mentioned that it was my older brother’s dream guitar. He said “good for your brother” and about shoved me out the door. He made it quite clear that our interaction had concluded. Another time I bought a guitar and picked it up at the guys house. He was sitting in the living room playing the guitar I came to buy. He was tearing it up. He didn’t see me at the door, and I didn’t knock or ring. I just stood there and listened. He was amazing. When I got inside he offered me the chance to play it on this killer little boutique amp he had in his living room. But it was like I was embarrassed to play in front of him. He was that good. I just said I listened from outside. I know it works.

CFFF likes this.

2. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I've only had 4 Craigslist encounters in my life. Two were great. Two were odd. I never bargained because I always thought the prices were fair. Here's the breakdown:

1. Drove an hour and got a great price on a guitar that I wanted. I paid the asking price. I still love that guitar.

2. Drove an hour to check out some gear w/ a pocketful of cash. I told the guy that I was happy to pay the asking price. He replied, "You seem like a nice guy and it's Christmas." He dropped the price even though I already agreed to buy it!

3. I won't bore you with this one. I would have paid the asking price but it fell through for reasons I don't understand.

4. See 3 above.

I didn't attribute 3 & 4 to criminality, scams, or arsholes. Just flakey guys being flakey.

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I just dont get that experience. Almost all of my craigslist experiences have been excellent.

The absolute worst interaction didnt really cause me any agita, it was just a disappointing PIA.

I drove 2 hours to buy a truck and when I got there the guy didnt have a clean title although he had claimed he could produce it over the phone. (Different law from his state to mine (Ga vs SC.)

Also, enough was misrepresented about the truck that I really didnt mind missing it. It was still a good deal though - new engine and transmission and full undercoating (that didnt appear to be hiding anything).

4. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I'm glad yours worked out, and I realize my experiences may not reflect Craigslist or it's users as a whole. What I AM saying is that in cases like what @studio1087 encountered, it's not a whole lot to get upset about. Some people just don't do what they say they will do a varying percentage of the time, depending on season, time of day, region of country of residence, personal proclivity, etc, etc. It's a crapshoot, and sometimes you have a winning streak.

Disclaimer: I haven't sold a whole lot on Craigslist; mostly giving away stuff that's still good but no longer have a use for and that nobody in their right mind would pay enough to make it worth the trouble. Like our old couch, for example. It just boggles my mind when I'm giving away something for free, and people just don't show up, don't reply when I say "it's yours", etc. and it happens a LOT. Maybe if I asked money I'd have a different experience...

bendercaster likes this.

5. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I see your point - I guess most of my Craigslist deals have been me as the buyer. I had to work out of town for a couple of years, I told my co-workers that I was going to get Craigslisters to BRING me everything I needed to furnish my apartment and it would be cheaper than what they were paying to rent furnishings for 2 or 3 months. Worked great. The only thing I bought new was a bed.

My biggest problem in my local small town (adjacent to Augusta Ga) is that no one has good stuff to sell and when I put my good stuff up I dont get any calls. Exercise equipment went lickidy-split though.

6. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    The last amp I sold I had two guys named Erik who were interested. Erik ended up buying it but Erik wasted my time and flaked.

studio1087 and PeterUK like this.

7. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I've had very good luck with Craigslist both as buyer and seller. Lots of different stuff-- handled baby stuff for my wife that she wanted sold once our baby got bigger. Music gear, a motorcycle, bicycles, surfboards, all kinds of stuff.

There are some great advantages to Craigslist,IMO:

1) Zero commissions or fees.
    2) Zero need to package anything and send it with all the attendant concerns as well as costs.
    3) If buying, you can actually check the item out before you decide to plunk down the cash.
    4) Prices are usually quite good.

My experience is the flakes never even show up. Once someone shows up they are usually serious about buying an item. I don't get lowballed...and if I do I just say that
    I've had other calls and other folks in line to buy it so no thanks. I'll also add that it would be obviously convenient for me to just get it sold now, so if they want to make me a fair offer
    real close to my asking price then we can all get on with life. And that usually closes the deal.

Being that the music world tends to be small in several cases I've started a Craigslist transaction as buyer or seller and ended up doing the deal with someone I already knew.

I agree with an earlier poster that the art of sussing a counter party out is key. My Spidey sense starts tingling if flaky communicating starts to show up, whether on Craigslist or EBay or whatever.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I emailed the guy again today, told him that I'm looking to buy, not trade, and I asked him how old the pedal is.

He responded with "You wanna buy or you wanna mail?"

He's getting a bit testy. I'll get back to him on Wednesday.

RLee77 and studio1087 like this.

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Does he know that you're in Vancouver?

Tell him that you live in Cudahy but you'll be having lunch at Oakland Gyros (east side) tomorrow. Tell him to bring the pedal and his appetite at noon tomorrow.

(Now I'm being evil). :lol:

PeterUK and RLee77 like this.

10. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    I let a salesman have it via email from work once because I got him mixed up with another salesman who had stiffed us on some part of an order. Once he wrote back and extremely politely explained my error, I had to apologize profusely. You're correct. That sort of thing happens sometimes. ..woops!

mojosman and studio1087 like this.

11. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Oh that's good. I haven't told him where I live, so I might just do that.

PeterUK likes this.

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

I never get this line of reasoning. There's valuable stuff in nearly every house.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Not mine!!!;)

14. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    I've done tons of deals on CL both in Nashville and Chicago.

Yeah, time wasters, flippers, flakes, insanely paranoid types, but for the most part it's been an amazing resource to meet and make friends with cool, like-minded, folks in music. If they give a good vibe and exchange numbers they're more than welcome to drop by, 90% of those exchanges have been top shelf humans.

All the issues I've ever seen with CL back in Chicago were people meeting in parking lots towards the hood to sell shoes, video game consoles, and fancy smartphones. That, I do not partake in, haha, I'd rather give that stuff to the pawn shop.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Perhaps artists are flakey on craigslist because we're creative or eclectic. I don't know.

The only time that I've been nervous selling on craigslist was when I sold a Honda Accord to two guys who came to my house with a manila envelope with $13,000 in $100 bills. Big dudes. I was counting $100 bills with these two guys staring at me and it seemed like a scene from a shady movie. Beats the heck out of running an ad in a newspaper 20 years ago. I also sold a boat but the old fishing guy was not the same as two ripped younger guys with the baggie full of cash.

I have Vox Nightrain for sale here and I haven't put it on craigslist. I've psyched myself out now. Self inflicted paranoia! :eek:

16. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I couldn't do it. It might be illogical, but I really didn't want this guy getting too angry at me, especially when my name is attached to my gmail account. I told him I bought one from someone else. I'm interested to see if he responds to that.

17. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    One CL buyer at my doorstep was enough. After seeing the nice item, he lowballed me on the spot by offering a $20 bill for the fancy, name brand bike rack. Ug!!! CL buyers can meet me somewhere besides my house.

I don't buy stuff for the purpose of making any money on it (resale). As a seller, it seems like the majority of CL buyers are that type?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.