Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Craigslist first......the guy wouldn't sell to me because he's bitter.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Feb 10, 2018.

1. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Man it's late, I read that as "..., watching the cat doing maintenance on my humidifier...".

william tele and studio1087 like this.
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Probably had you confused with someone else.

There are some people I would not want to deal with again. There's this one guy that constantly asks for discounts on stuff I have priced super-low. He wrote me a private message on a local forum recently, and he wanted to lowball again, so I refused. Probably was going to buy it and sell it on reverb or ebay to get a profit.

nojazzhere and studio1087 like this.
  3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    For a moment when I first saw the thread title somehow I read it as "the guy wouldn't sell to me because he's a biter"...
    I don't think that would have changed the thread all that much though...

src9000, radiocaster and studio1087 like this.
  4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Three funny pages! (I thought they were funny). Thanks.

I guess the moral of the story is "always buy a used Electro Harmonix Memory Toy from a guy in Alabama rather than the guy in Milwaukee who's selling his because he just bought one with TAM tempo"

My board sounds good.

[​IMG]

By the way, what the heck is TAM tempo? :p That dude needs to get his ceramic frogs together.

Happy Sunday! I have band practice. I'm buying bagels for everyone (everyone in the band; I couldn't possibly get bagels to all of your houses but I hope you have a good breakfast).

:cool:

nojazzhere and JayFreddy like this.
  5. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    I read this thread. Wasted my time. OP is verified as a time waster. Wastey McWasterson

Milspec and studio1087 like this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I met a guy an hour away to trade a strat for his telecaster that he had listed on craigslist. I got there and he checked out my strat and I noticed that he was looking at it very closely, and it occurred to me that he was only buying it to flip it, not play it. I didn't have the backplate for it. He said he was going to decline the trade, because, "Honestly, I'm only buying it to flip it. Someone offered me $450 for my telecaster and he wants to meet me tonight." Knowing this, he allowed me to drive an hour away to meet him. The other deal must not have worked out because his telecaster is still on craigslist and this was two weeks ago.

People who buy guitars just to flip them really annoy me.

Milspec, studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    ^ this mirrors my experience and attitude. No more CL for me.

8. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Undoubtedly some sketchy characters on CL but I’ve scored some killer deals. You just have to have some street smarts. I also tend to avoid the ones that seem fishy or too good to be true (example USA tele $100, one grainy picture). Show up for that and you’re going to get robbed or worse.

studio1087, nojazzhere and JayFreddy like this.
  9. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Saugerties,N.Y.
    i've had a 75-80% sucess rate on CL, I get a helluva lot of time waster flakes..I've sold mostly musical stuff and one car..i have however met some cool people on CL, I met a very good guitar tech who actually knew how to fix Ricks and a good amp tech i used for a while , but he flaked out after 3-4 amp repairs. you usually get better deals on vintage fender and other gear.

studio1087 likes this.
  10. Lord-Humongous

Lord-Humongous TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Canada
    I had a nutter from Kijiji (the Canadian equivalent of Craigslist) call me about a guitar banjo that I was selling for $75. He said he was on his way and never showed. Later that evening, he called me furious saying he got lost. I should have figured out he was mental then but I agreed to meet him in the Best Buy parking lot the next day.
    At Best Buy, he walked up to me, had barely a glance at the guitar banjo (didn’t touch it) and told me it was a cheap piece of **** and that I’d wasted his time. It was so bizarre that I didn’t bother engaging him, I just left and hoped he wouldn’t ever show up at my house.

studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I emailed the guy yesterday. He got back to me pretty quickly, and he seems nice enough, although a bit pushy with his question about whether or not I want to buy it or trade for it. Sheesh. I only asked him if it was still available.

We'll see what he's like after I don't respond for a day or two.

studio1087 likes this.
  12. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I have two Craigslist rules:

Never show up alone
    Never let them come to your home...only time I have is to sell a washing machine, and I make sure it’s already outside in the driveway when they show up.

JayFreddy, studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  13. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Happy Sunday! I have band practice. I'm buying bagels for everyone (everyone in the band; I couldn't possibly get bagels to all of your houses but I hope you have a good breakfast).

:cool:[/QUOTE]

I had a cinnie/raisan bagel with a fried egg on each half....mmmmmm

Have a good practice!

studio1087 likes this.
  14. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I had pancakes and sausage. Pancakes were left over from yesterday and were frozen and revived in the toaster.

I have a Fender Champ on Craigslist for about three days now. So far no bites, not even from Kenya.

studio1087 likes this.
  15. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    I've had good luck w/ selling and buying on Craigs List. Nut jobs will usually tell you they are wacko right away if we listen closely,..

For selling I place this at the bottom of my ad.

"I won't respond to email inquiries that don't include a contact phone number. My attempt to reduce Craig List spam for you and me". And then I don't. Works great in separating tire kickers from buyers.

studio1087 likes this.
  16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I had a guy come and look at my Peavey amp last year. Although he didn't buy it, we had a great couple of hours playing music. And no, he didn't come back and rob my house while I was out.

I also bought a guitar from a guy last summer and I showed up alone at his place. It was a scruffy looking place, with various bits of broken furniture in the front yard. He had two big dogs barking at the door. They turned out to be very friendly, as did the seller. He had just moved in, and was clearing out the previous renter's junk. He played in a working southern rock band, but was selling off some gear because he was concentrating on being the lead singer. We played some Skynyrd for a bit, and then some Molly Hatchet. My wife and I went and saw his band a few weeks later, and he bought us a beer.

Craigslist is often a great way to meet cool people. I've been buying and selling stuff for a long time, and have never had a problem.

On the other hand, I don't live in an economically challenged metropolis with a high crime rate, and I don't buy and sell iPhones on craigslist.

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    This is so frustrating because it’s such good material that one dassen’t come anywhere near! :lol::lol:

studio1087 likes this.
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    I had an experience in Tucson with a guy selling a Victoria 5112 for super cheap. I show up at his house and we got to talking. Turned out to be a super nice guy suffering from severe arthritis and just couldn’t play anymore. I ended up buying the Vicky and an Allen Accomplice from him for incredibly cheap. I actually told him he could, and should, sell them for quite a bit more on eBay (Reverb didn’t exist at the time) and he just said, “No man, it’s been great getting to know you and if you’re going to actually play these amps, I’m happy to sell them for the price we agreed upon”. Great experience and awesome guy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    CFFF, R. Stratenstein and studio1087 like this.
  19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I bought a guitar on CL last year. I asked the guy to meet me near by, but I was on his way to work. He came to my house and he gave me a $10 discount for paying cash. We were both happy. I think he just really needed the money more then a fixer-upper electric guitar.

studio1087 likes this.
  20. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    That is very common these days, but what do you do with the plumber, electrican, hvac repair, window installer, cable guy, etc.? Crime statistics show that many home thieves use legit trades to case homes. I wouldn't give them the grand tour nor show them the valuables, but a simple hand shake and sit down in the living room seems to be an acceptable compromise. The last amp I purchased off CL felt more like a drug deal than a simple transaction. He dwmNSWS so much security I was practically blindfolded so I wouldn't see his face or car. The best part was that I ended up knowing the guy, he was the guitarist of one of my friend's band. I never let him forget about that deal either.

i think people are becoming too protective to the point of seclusion these days. I blame technology as the art of communication and evaluating a person's intentions are dying skills.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.