Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Craigslist first......the guy wouldn't sell to me because he's bitter.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I agree. Its really not the norm to make a living buying and selling other folks junk. But it can be lucrative for those who just can't function at a regular day job. I think that's the correlation. Same dysfunctional tendency associates CL with folks who can't keep a job, or need fast cash.

nojazzhere and studio1087 like this.

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    they should make a "people of craigslist" vid......similar to the "people of walmart" vids.
    all i can say is this....ive scored some great deals from craigslist, but every single time ive ever met with anyone from these deals ive had a concealed .45. never had to use it but dont trust anyone. ever.

nojazzhere and studio1087 like this.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    catbathing.jpg

4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Holic

May 3, 2016
    In the South

I've found, through experience, that an old leather motorcycle jacket, trousers and gloves, and a full face helmet make the job less painful if no less difficult.

:)

5. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i am a cat person. i have bathed many cats. i think the trick is to soothe them with your voice. still, i have scars, lol.

studio1087 and notmyusualuserid like this.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    YOU ain't ever seen that little blonde wash her car! :lol::lol:

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I NEVER have someone come to my house. If I'm selling an amp that they want to play first, I meet at a Central Market nearby. They have a "performance" patio, and the power outlets are always on....plus being in public usually hurries them up a little. I'm not a music store....I'll let someone play it to verify it works, but if you want to put something "through its paces", go to Guitar Center. I had a CL flake once want me to bring an amp TO HIS GIG and let him play it all night to see if it was what he wanted.....I declined. When you respond to a CL ad, your decision should have already been made.... it's like bidding on ebay, if your bid is the winner, you bought it. (unless it's broken or misrepresented)
    And, Milspec, I didn't go in the seller's house armed....but my Taurus 709 Slim was in the car.;)

studio1087 likes this.

8. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    You're the daring type, no doubt. I have to put on my insulated jacket and a pair of elbow length, thick rubber gloves just to hold them while Mrs injax puts flea treatment on them. :rolleyes:

studio1087 likes this.

9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Holic

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Oh that's easy. Open flea treatment tube, pick cat up, face cat's bitey and scratchy parts away from self holding cat under its chin, grab flea treatment tube, part fur at back of cat's neck, apply tube and squeeze. Stand well back. If one is swift enough a paper towel and a couple of sticking plasters are sufficient to staunch the blood.

As it goes, our last remaining cat is due hers tomorrow. Fortunately she is probably the most docile cat I've ever known, and she's very old too so the process will be more straightforward than the above.

jackinjax and studio1087 like this.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I've never bathed a cat but I imagine that bathing our yorkie mutt is about the same thing.

[​IMG]

11. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    My reply then would be "Well today is your lucky
    day as I still have one spot left on my ass please feel free to kiss it".

src9000 and studio1087 like this.

12. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I suspect you'd find a lot of them were the same people.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    You're doing it wrong. I pin my cats on the floor between my thighs, with one hand holding them around the neck to keep them immobile while I use the other hand to apply the flea goop between their shoulder blades. They're so pissed off about being pinned down that they don't even realize that they're getting the flea treatment.

14. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    I’ve only used Craigslist once and I’d didn’t get murdered and I got the item I wanted - a superb baritone Tele neck.

Whilst we were on vacation in Orlando last year, I casually checked the local Craigslist page and was surprised to see a great deal on an as new Warmoth Tele Baritone neck. The photos looked fabulous and it seemed too good to be true.

I emailed the seller to ask if it was still available but the email bounced, so I assumed it was sold.

One hurricane later and a dash to Memphis and back, and the day we were due to leave I sent a text message to the cellphone listed in the ad. An immediate reply told me that it was still for sale and we agreed to meet.

Now my wife reads a lot and she’s read a book where a murderer would place ads on Craigslist, arrange to meet the gullible buyer and, well, murder them.

As I explained to my wife, meeting a guy outside an IHOP at 11 o’clock in the morning wasn’t really a risk, but she was nervous! :lol:

Well Bob turned up as arranged, he was armed with a Tele neck which was better in real life than the pictures, I gave him the money, he didn’t murder me, we shook hands and went out separate ways.

That’s my only Craigslist experience. A bit boring but no-one was hurt in the sale of a Tele neck.

:) Peter

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Can you post a link to the ad? I'm sure that there's quite a few of here who would like to buy that pedal.

16. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Maybe it is just the times that we live in or maybe it is just the anti-social mentallity of the people these days. When I grew up, we knew the names and bio of each neighbor for blocks and would not think twice about inviting them inside while now most people don't know anything about their neighbors despite living right next to them for a decade. People on CL are people, nothing more. Some are flakes, some are sketchy, and some are just like you...just people. There are always horror stories out there, but there are also those same sotries from pizza delivery and carpet cleaners. One has to be cautious, but not overly so in most areas.

Heck, if I was not trusting, I would not have my Lindy Fralin VVT amp sitting next to me which I got for only $900 with a padded case and transferred warranty. Heck, it was only 3 months old!! I've known many who find employment off CL all the time....it is just another resource and sometimes a very good one. I think I have sold over $4000 worth of old industrial equipment on my local CL this winter alone. I have yet to have any negative transactions.

The biggest problem is the communication aspect and the constant scammers that text you.

Tele1966 and studio1087 like this.

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I've had great experiences with Craigslist both buying and selling. I've rarely gone to someone's home. I bought a few dozen graphite target arrows from a guy who had hundreds of them in buckets. I sat in his living room on the couch looking through arrows and his wife had hundreds (literally hundreds) or little ceramic frogs on glass shelfs. There were hundreds of little frog eyes staring at me and it smelled like heavy incense. It was fine but unusual.

That would be funny but I think it's best to let it be. Poor guy probably sees Gremlins in the bushes as it is.

:cool:

JayFreddy and PeterUK like this.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    That looks like Toto's brother! Old Toto likes a lot of things, but baths ain't one of them.

studio1087 likes this.

19. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    That's a new one.

I've found certain patterns are often associated with unbalanced sellers.

One of the most common involves variations on, "If it's still listed, it's still available, so don't ask!"

More often than not, when I've taken these sellers at their word, the item is no longer available.

Obnoxious proclamations about which questions are "allowed" also tend to indicate unstable personalities.

If a seller implies that I'm automatically wrong for having a question about the item they are selling, that's a seller who isn't worth my time.

Glad you were able to get the pedal you wanted on Reverb. CL can be fun, but then again, so can Walmart! ;)

studio1087 likes this.

20. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    And you didn’t get murdered! Bonus!

:lol: Peter

studio1087 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.