Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Craigslist first......the guy wouldn't sell to me because he's bitter.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Feb 10, 2018.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I don't know what he's bitter about. I don't know who he is. I was going to just let it be but I'm still puzzled and amused (mainly amused).

I wanted an Electro Harmonix Delay to complete a board. There was one for sale locally on Craigslist so I sent a message with my full name, personal email and cell number as I always do. $75 was fine, I just wanted to meet and get the pedal.

I got a swift reply saying that the person would not meet with me because I was a time waster. I had wasted their time so horribly in the past that the person would not meet with me or accept my $75. This was restated 3 times in 3 short paragraphs. The seller wrote quite a bit when he blasted me. Something inspired the guy to let me have it.

o_O

I did not respond. I was freaked out. I have never set a deal and no-showed. I always disclose my name and cell and personal email because I don't screw around; I respect people's time.

The only thing that I can figure is that there have been times when I message and message and I message offering to meet and pay and if the person does not reply for a whole week I'll buy the same dang thing on Reverb.com and wait 4 days for a package to arrive. I don't think that's a "buyer" problem.

I did find the Delay that I wanted in this instance on Reverb for $70 (I saved $5 - whoop de do) and I simply ordered one.

I'll never figure it out.....I shouldn't want to figure it out but human nature is causing me to think about it and shake my head.

If anyone is curious; 3 weeks have passed and the person has not yet sold their Delay on Craigslist. A gentleman in Alabama has my $70 and I gave him stellar feedback on reverb.

Takes all kinds I guess.

[​IMG]

I had no idea that I was such an a-hole with that $75 just burning a hole in my wallet.

:cool:

DonM, FenderGyrl, emisilly and 9 others like this.

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    If you post enough on Craigslist, you'll find two things:

1- Most people are flakes. Out of 10 replies, I might find 2 that are willing to actually show up and take your stuff off your hands. The rest either disappear after you tell them to come over, or suddenly balk and say stuff like "I have to get a ride from my cousin, can you hold it for me until Tuesday?"
    2- Unless you live in a larger city, you're likely to get a lot of "repeat customers". The same guy that sold me a futon was the same guy who came to pick up a pair of speakers, and I think his daughter picked up a couch about six months before that. Same van.

So what probably happened was the guy has a fairly small group of people that are regularly looking for what he has to sell, and recognizes some by their name and how they write messages. Your message probably sounded way too similar to somebody who had stiffed him a few times in the past. Don't sweat it, it happens.

Badger06, DonM, Piggy Stu and 8 others like this.

3. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    These off kilter types use CL as their social outlet. I wouldn't give it another thought. He needs to get his meds in order.

Something similar happened to me on another forum. I pm'd a member about an eq. He responded, to which I couldn't open his reply so I figured the glitch would sort itself out & went on about my day. I returned later to find a nasty negative stream of consciousness grade on my buyer/seller/trading profile. This member just seethes bi-polar in his comments. I could go on but I've said my peace.

Breath. Be happy.

4. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like he's either a nut case, or he confused you with somebody he did business with in the past. If he wrote a sermon, I suspect it was the former.

But why not just send a simple message like,

"Hey, thanks for getting back to me. I'm a little confused though as I don't remember having any dealings with you in the past. Can you refresh my memory? Or maybe you're confusing me with somebody else? Anyway I already got another pedal but wanted to touch base as you seem to be pretty upset and I would like to make amends if there is something that I did?

Too nice? Probably, but that's what I would do. I guess it would bug me that there is somebody out there thinking I harmed them in some way.

On the other hand I have had plenty of emails from craigslist buyers that I thought it better just to completely ignore.

5. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Crazy can not be explained, nor understood.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    CraigsList is full of crazy flake-heads. I've almost stopped trying to sell there. I think part of the problem is people respond to ads, but they have no money. Either want to trade junk or low-ball your price. The last thing I bought a couple weeks ago (Blues Junior III) the guy actually gave me his home address and let me come try out the amp....I'm thinkin', "Dude, you don't know me from Adam!...now I know where you live, your beautiful collection of high-end guitars, everything!" Luckily, I know I'm an exception to the flake rule. I bought the amp, asking price in cash, and brought it home....clean as can be. Wish everyone was as trustworthy as me. ;) (and as "normal")

7. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Some people are weird.

nojazzhere and studio1087 like this.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    John...I could have been practicing my guitar, washing the cat or doing maintenance on my humidifier...but no. I wound up wasting my time reading your post. You should be ashamed of yourself...harrumph! :p

9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Holic

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    In my experience washing the cat is always more...exciting than reading posts on the internet.

10. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    The only way CL works out well is if the seller lists their phone number in the ad. The CL messaging is a joke and can take days if they arrive at all. In the meantime, the seller is getting slammed with scammers in a constant flow of text messages and BS emails. My guess is that he mistook you for another and he had reached his limit from all the spammers.

I have sold a lot on CL, even out of state, and it canl make anyone angry. I also never waste my time on ads that don't provide a phone number. I saw an item a few years ago that I wanted badly, but no phone number was provided. I sent emails via messaging twice a day for a week with no reply. Then they guy re-listed it with a price drop. I blasted more emails from my computer and my phone for a week...no reply. By the 3rd week, I get a reply that the item just sold. I could have punched a hole in the wall, I was so mad.

studio1087 likes this.

11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I have given up on CL.
    I’ve had no issues at all with Reverb, some of the greatest sellers anywhere.
    I’ve had no trouble selling on Reverb, but I usually price things to sell, so they go pretty quick.
    To hell with CL and the crazies.

Believer, studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It's almost that time of year again, when I can watch the little blonde wash HER car! That is definitely, most assuredly, guarantededly better than reading posts on the internet!

13. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I had to check your location as I thought you were talking about me. I just did that exact same thing (sold a blues jr lll) about 3 weeks ago. I never mind inviting the person to the house when selling something that you have to hear powered on, but I don't take them to the studio. I just put the amp in the living room for him to try out while I stood there with a shotgun. Okay, I didn't actually hold a shotgun, but I did have a shotgun on the wall, a Colt Peacemaker hanging from a holster off the closet door, and was wearing a 1911 concealed. I figure that the USMC flag flying outside and the assortment of weapons in plain view gets my point across that robbing me would not be a good idea.

He was a great player too...transplant from the East Coast. I have seen him on stage since and glad to see the amp getting used.

Trow, mojosman, Believer and 2 others like this.

14. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Holic

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    CAT, not car you blind old fool :D

Although there's probably a highly inappropriate ***** joke that I not going near. ;)

15. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Even on just the local Rapid City CL, I'm apparently very popular in East Africa.

It truly is a....small world!

16. CL can be a strange place. I once ignored someone that contacted me about something I was selling. I remembered him from the past, I held a guitar for him in the past as he promised to buy it. He came placed it and decided he didn't want it.

studio1087 likes this.

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Send him a pic of your new Pedal.

dented and studio1087 like this.

18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    you shouldve replied to him...you must have mistaken me for my twin brother

studio1087 likes this.

19. moose

moose TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Apr 11, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    Here on Syracuse CL you occasionally get some nasty posters. They post angry, bitter, sarcastic ads mocking other ads both in the equipment for sale site and musicians community site. When I read them I imagine a 40 year old, intermediate shredder living in his mother's basement, posting between his shifts at the corner min-mart.

studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.

20. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I have four cats. I'd sooner attempt to clean my chainsaw while it's running wide open than bathe any one of them. Just saying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.