A Couple Nice Guitars vs. A Lot of Okay Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 6String69, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

I'm in the same boat I currently own three decent electric guitars. a bass and an acoustic but I long for a clear cut number 1 I've been trying "Relish" guitars and looking at Fano's and Friedman t styles. Truth be told I want that Fender -62- Strat that someone repainted and changed the pickups out and needs the cash fast but I just can't seem to find deals like that anymore.

6String69 likes this.
  2. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I currently have 11 here and a couple over in Virginia. When I was busy gigging couple decades back I was also raising a kid and building a house. I only ever had 2....a main gigging guitar and a spare. Couldn't justify any more. Now I've retired and only gig occasionally I'm amused to have a collection of pretty well every type of guitar I'd want, and they all get played regularly. They are all budget or midrange, but as I know how to set up guitars nicely, they are all nice.
    Several of them would function perfectly well as an only guitar, but I do enjoy the variety.

3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

I have four really "nice" (moderate-to-higher priced) guitars, and a dozen others that are fun, along with a Bass VI. I follow the idea of spending more on some things that really hit me, but being more moderate on guitars that are more occasional/niche for my uses. I also like buying some with intent to swap pickups or even necks, not something I would do at a higher price.

4. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

I have several guitars / basses I don't use which I could probably sell at some point, but they aren't worth much (and I didn't pay much for them). Plus - they're in storage and I haven't seen them in a long time. So maybe when my traveling days are over, I'll reassess.

I have one guitar which I will keep because I can't sell it: it needs a LOT of work. In my fantasy life, I would buy some books and figure out how to restore it myself. It was my first electric guitar, I bought it for $400 in 1986: a previously owned, badly amateurly refinished 1960 Gretsch Single Anniversary. Gruhn assessed it about 10 years ago as being worth only about $700-800 in its current, very wrecked condition. I'd love nothing better than to restore it, or have it restored, because it is just ... I just love that guitar, even though it's never been easy to play and never been really right. I know more now than I did when I bought it, and I'm a better player now than I was when I bought it, so I think I could make it into something really great. But it would be a lot, lot, lot of work and I would have to really educate myself to try fixing it.

Right now, my best acoustic (a 74 Martin D-35) lives in the States with my family. My other acoustic (a 1990s Martin 000-1), my Tele (2014 AmDeluxe - red with white binding), my Strat (2002 AmDeluxe in teal), and my not-for-export late 90s Japanese Gibson/Epi ES-335 (cherry), plus my Lakland 55-01 bass, are with me on my current overseas assignment. I also have an original Line6 Variax, one of the MIK ones, and that is actually a nice guitar and I love the versatility, super useful for recording - that one is also in the States. So I guess I *have* all my desert island instruments with me. The other ones, in various storage facilities, are ones I don't play as much.

All those guitars are guitars I got really, really good deals on, and would likely make money if I ever decided to resell them, particularly the ES-335. But I'm not sure I'd ever really want to. I do a lot of recording, and I love having the variety of sounds.

There's really only one more guitar I'd like: a 2002 Am Deluxe Telecaster in teal, which matches the Strat. I wouldn't mind the Am Deluxe P-bass in teal too - I think they're really nice looking (and you don't see that many of them). And I wouldn't mind another electric 12 string, when you need that sound, nothing else will do. I had one and sold it, and am sorry I did.

I have played out with all of those instruments.

5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

A lot of nice guitars, that are player status and continue to be enhanced as necessary.

I'm not saying how many I have, but I will say that if I find a Squier that really like, I will buy it, and tweak it.

I'm not one to invest into a vintage guitar retirement plan.

6. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I buy EB pink packs 12 packs on amazon, cheaper and don’t have to get tempted to buy more at the store. Plus there no good guitar stores nearby !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.