Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

A couple for the bird fanciers . . .

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PeteMac, Jul 20, 2013.

1. PeteMac

PeteMac Friend of Leo's

These Crimson Rosellas visit the eucalypt trees around our place fairly regularly but they haven't, before now, come down so close to the back door.

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

2. BooNin

BooNin Tele-Meister

3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

funny you mention Rosellas... I snapped these two from my back door yesterday...;)

I could hear this small clicking sound outside ?.. and went to investigate..

. it was these guys chewing into some tree fruits and crunching on the seeds to eat them.... :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted

Very exotic visitors - they must think human beings look so dull !

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

You guys have the coolest birds.

7. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

I saw 3 herons and a grass snake in Wanstead park last week (we do pretty well for wildlife in London, believe it or not), but I can't compete with those colours. Amazing.

The older I get the more excited I am by things like that. Luckily my 6-year-old son loves it all, too.

Thanks for posting such great pictures.

8. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Ditto, very colorful birds! :cool:

9. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

Pale Headed Rosellas. Quite a few of them around here. I once saw a pair - one Pale and one Eastern ... would have loved to have seen what came out of their nest!

Crimson Rosellas are my favourite bird for colour - them and female Eclectus. Though you need to go to far north to see them.

10. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

i can't imagine living somewhere where it's like 'oh, yeah, there were 230 of those things here yesterday".

Also, I'm betting when you guys see a common North American bird like a Blue Jay or Catbird, it's not nearly as interesting.

11. trev333

this pair live close by.. they come here most days to drink from the water bowl on the veranda.... and are always out in the yard somewhere..on the ground eating grass seeds or in trees browsing flowers/fruits...

they are very cautious when they come to drink and take turns while the other one watches....

12. Nick JD

Bluejays and Cardinals are pretty cool. It's the squirels and chipmunks I watch when I'm there - they're exotic to me. Also, we have no hummingbirds or woodpeckers, and a Loon is memorable.

But if you want colour, here's the place for it. On your average day, I have 5 or 6 parrot species in my back yard. Sometimes 10. I once counted 25 species of bird in less than an hour in my back yard at dusk. Australia is very, very diverse. Very alive. Helps that there are only 20 million people.

13. Bones

Are the birds protected or could you make a pet out of Parrot if you wanted to?

14. Nick JD

No. You can only get a parrot from a breeder. There are still those people who will raid a nest, but the practice is very discouraged - especially in the rarer species, as you can imagine. There are a couple of Black Cockatoo species that are quite rare.

One parrot is extinct.

Galahs (Frankie, in my avatar is one) are now much more common (as are most cockatoo species) thatn they ever were as they prefer the cleared agricultural land to the native bush, like the 'Roos.

Also, lorikeets are very common in the cities because people plant their food trees (nectar producing bushes and trees). Can you imagine what a flock of Cockatoos does to a peanut plantation? Or a sunflower field?! They have enemies, that's for sure.

A family group of Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos is a wonderful thing to come across. Seriously big parrots. And very wise.

Australia has 800 species of bird. It's difficult to learn them all.

15. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

It kind of sucks that here in america we allways get shows on the animals from austrialia like the kangaroo or your the invasive frogs and stuff you have and never get any shows on animals like those birds. I bet you guys also have a lot of cool native plants and flowers we see nothing about. I'm not saying kangaroos aern't cool and stuff they are.

It's just I bet people in other countrys miss getting to learn about a lot of great wildlife because of stuff like that.

16. Nick JD

Watch the video I posted above. It's 50 minutes long. Unfortunately it's the "americanised" version (the original is narrated by an Australian), but it's good either way.

17. trev333

It must suck to be a bird when it rains for a week....:D

Attached Files:

18. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

I'm a bird freak too. I must say, the catbird is one of my absolute favorites.

19. Bones

Oh, I like them an enjoy their antics as I do with most of our common gray and brown birds, I just wish we had some more exotic looking stuff.

20. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice shots and very colorful neighbors.

21. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Australia does indeed have some amazing wildlife.

It's just a pity that about 20% of it can kill you! :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.