A clean amp..... from Orange? With tremolo and reverb!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Les Paul lover, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Ade Emsley had been speaking about developing a tremolo amp for a while a few years back, so I guess he took his time to get it right.

It sounds pretty phenomenal IMO.

Interesting!!!!

2. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sounds great...

I'm a little surprised they put the Bedroom/Headroom switch on top. It's not a switch you're going to change much..

3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Cool!

4. beninma

$1300... quite a bit.

But you can save a few hundred on pedals for sure.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds great!

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I like the fact that they chose a speaker that very few have heard of, based on tone, not popularity.

7. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Love the clean strat tone at 2:00. That price point is in the territory of a LOT of other great sounding botique amps.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  8. beninma

Looks like Andertons was blessed with the first demo.

chris m. and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Sounds really nice. And if the street is $1300, that's not bad really, for Orange quality. More than I'd want to spend for my needs, but a reasonably decent price for a valve amp like that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, interesting. Lavoce speaker? The only one they make for guitar? I'd love to get to know more about it.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting new amp. I love Orange and have two, bought the AD30 as soon as the new line showed up in the US and more recently bought an OR15.

But this one IDK, listening to the clean reverb sound after 1:20 or so it sounds like the reverb is distorting, or the springs are splatting, maybe the tank is a bad match or the return is overdriving the recovery stage?

And the distorted sound, which was presumably a pedal since this is a single clean channel, wow that was terrible! Bottom falling apart mud splat.
    No dirt pedal I've ever heard falls apart like that, seems like some gain stage is badly designed.
    I didn't listen to the Chappers demo, but they make everything sound good, so i lean toward the worst demos as representative...

I gotta feeling they still have some circuit tweaking to do!

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I can appreciate your approach but anyone can make something really good sound bad; my guitar playing is a prime example.

I recommend you have a listen to the Anderton's version as I thought it was a pretty fair run-through. Alternatively, see if you can audition one. If I didn't have an amp, I'd be having a serious look at this one.

13. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The first Orange amp that piques my interest. I'll definitely be doing a test drive when it comes available.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah the first demo he was smacking the strings pretty hard in that section, but an amp should IMO be able to manage that amount of attack if it's a dedicated clean amp.
    I would give a little SE 5w amp a pass for not being able to handle hard attack, but here not so much.
    It's also possible the amp in the first demo had a bad (I'm guessing 12at7) reverb driver tube that was distorting, or a bad reverb recovery 12ax7.
    Or maybe the tank is a poor match and they will fix that later after hearing more demos. Could be they rushed it to NAMM and hadn't tried it with a harder hitter.
    The Chappers demo didn't display that reverb distortion/ splat, sounded pretty good if maybe a little nasal with the LP. Both those players use a pretty light touch.

WRT their choice of the el84 quad, IME the Orange el84 power section never really has the clean headroom possible with that tube complement, favoring instead the dirty end of potential sounds.
    My AD30 does a decent clean but lacks clean headroom for a 30w amp.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the clean amp designation as intended for clean sounds, when in fact they intended it as a clean pedal platform, more than an idealized clean sound amp.
    But my gut says they didn't finish tweaking the circuit before NAMM, and will fix the headroom "problem" soon. Or there was a bad tube in the first amp demo.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  15. beninma

They may have used a poorly chosen OD that was amplifying low end bass too much.

This thing still sounds like an Orange under drive, it doesn't surprise me it would be picky about OD pedals, although the weird thing is this one sounds like it would be more likely to require OD pedals whereas so many Oranges don't and/or don't even like them. My Rocker 15 is really really picky about OD pedals.

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

In the Anderton's video, I think they suggest it's okay for clean sounds but more of a platform for pedals. Again, I think the distortion pedal they used on the video is Peter Honore's (Danish Pete's) new signature pedal. I'm no connoisseur and don't have the knowledge / exposure to the vast array of amps and pedals others have - but it sounded pretty good to me. That said, I wouldn't swap it for my Dr Z Maz 18 1x12 combo and Brake-Lite attenuator (but I'm biased).

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

I primarily play clean. And while Orange cleans aren't bad, I wouldn't buy an Orange for cleans. They're known for crunch, that's what they do best. And in the dirty tones department, all I'd ever need is a bit of mild crunch. And I'm not a pedal guy, so I don't buy amps thinking in terms of "clean platform for pedals." And for $1,300? If I were going to buy a tube amp (which I'm not) in that price range (which I'm not), it'd be a Supro Tremo-Verb.

Treynor likes this.
  18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought it sounded really nice in the demo video, but I’ll just admire and leave it at that. I can essentially cover that ground with the Dual Terror I already have and a couple decent pedals. Maybe not quite as clean, but I don’t need or want that anyway.

19. beninma

Exactly, some people who don't have Orange amps today might get this one cause it's just right. No chance I'm going to sell my Rocker to get this one even though I'd love to have a real spring reverb and tube tremolo.

Lots of different amps... something for everyone. To me this is some kind of crazy cross between a 50s Fender and an Orange... after all Orange did not even exist in the 50s.

20. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yea, and I’ve slowly realized that it’s not as pedal-picky as maybe I thought. The key for me is using the full 30w and not letting the gain get out of hand. If it’s set right below crunch, a boost/TS/Klon can all do amazing things to it. Then I keep the other channel for the heavier stuff.

It’ll never be confused for a Deluxe, but that’s a good thing imo.

Funny timing too - I just pulled out my DT last night. Auditioned for a band that focuses on 60’s psychedelic rock. Couldn’t think of a better amp to bring. Forgot how awesome that thing sounds, especially after learning to dial it in.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.