Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A chord problems

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecasterless, Nov 9, 2017.

1. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Unless you post a recording, we’re all just guessing…

notmyusualuserid likes this.

2. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

Mar 22, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    One possibility is you have become perceptive to the subtle tuning imperfections innate to guitar chords (same with piano). To have a truly "in tune" major chord, the 3rd should be slightly flat. If it's not that you're noticing, then most likely culprit is intonation (either due to neck/saddles or finger pressure, or both!).

3. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2008
    Santa Barbara
    Sorry but you need to practice. I would give you one lesson for this fine weekend. Learn 5 to 10 different A chord inversions. You'll thank me in a few years.
    Play guitar like a piano partial chords and Robben Ford type silliness.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I was thinking it was a string height problem myself or possibly the string getting stuck in the nut groove and pulling sharp.

Toto'sDad likes this.

5. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This.

I've been using that tuning for quite some time now and it works like magic. Probably the best compensated tuning I've ever used to fix all those little gremlins.

6. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I'll have to try that

7. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    It's on a les paul standard primarily. So tune o matic bridge.
    Using a Boss tuner.
    Seems to me it is not the B String so much as the D string (E note). Most noticeable on initial strum downstroke.

8. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    For some reason I haven't noticed this before. Just seems bizarre that it would happen now.

It just came back from getting set up. Maybe the guy just set it up wrong. Hmm. only took him seven months!

9. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I will try to do that. Not sure how to record it and post it here though. would have to use an iphone and then figure out how to post it

10. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I know some A chord inversions. It's not like its the only A I can play.
    I just don't like THAT A chord sounding crappy.

11. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    you know, THAT it might actually be! I have been bitching about that A string buzzing too much. It sure vibrates more wildly than any other string and that's after replacing the A string without effect. So maybe it is IS the nut slot!?

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Lube it and see if it fixes it.

13. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I think this is exactly what's going on. As others have said here there are slight tuning inaccuracies when using standard tuning and I think your ears have gotten better at picking up on the subtle differences up and down the neck.

The same thing happened to me years ago. I would tune the guitar with the tuner, but certain chords would not sound "right" to me, and I would have to tweak it slightly, but then something else would be out. I messed around with the intonation, took it in for a setup, and still had the same issue. I eventually just chalked it up to my own incompetence in tuning the dang thing.

In reality I think it is the ears getting better at recognizing pitch.

Interesting that this was on a Les Paul too. I have since noticed it on other guitars too, some more than others. It's just the nature of the beast!

14. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    I think nobody has asked, but when was the last time the strings were changed?
    I do agree it's the cowboy position, you prolly need to tune for that.
    ... And, of course, obviously, one should always listen to one's significant other. :)

15. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    It's simple and a common symptom.
    The act of pressing down on the strings near the nut causes them to go a bit sharp; To different degrees. The worst offenders are the low E, the G and the B strings.

Just tune them a little bit flat. You will then have a problem with the first position C chord because the G string will sound flat. It's a compromise. tune the G a little flat but not too much.

First of all, make sure your nut slots are cut as low as possible without buzz on the open strings.
    A compensated nut does help a lot but I don't bother with one myself.

S Mac

skantzos and Simoninhyogo like this.

16. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    I've got news for you -- whether you realize it or not, we all do this to some extent.

17. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    I have similar issues, the culprit is my hearing...

18. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    This and jumbo frets with increased finger pressure.can cause the phenomenon you're describing.

19. Simoninhyogo

Simoninhyogo TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Japan
    Tuning the G string a tiny bit flat can help some open chords sound right but you might find barred chords higher up the neck don't sound quite right.

20. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    I don't have a problem with that happening at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.