Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A chord problems

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecasterless, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I don't know if it's something with my ears, but there has been something very disharmonious to my ears lately about the basic A chord at 2nd fret. I thought it might be my guitar at first, but then I played another guitar at Guitar Center and heard the same thing.

The issue seems to lie with the D string (E note) in the chord primarily, but obviously it is the combination of notes together. I don't know if it's just that it sounds flat, or just doesn't "ring out" right to my ears. Like it's dull or something.

Anyone else experience this issue? E Chord, C chord, other chords down in the low positions seem fine, A is just bugging me as sounding out of whack.

2. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

You are fretting the b on the a string?

4. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    There's no B note in an A chord...

5. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

If you are playing B note on the A string, you are not playing an A (major) chord. That would be a 9th of some sort.
    Did I misunderstand?

Edit: I see you changed horses in the middle of the stream- never mind, then.

6. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    sorry, I edited that correctly. Don't get thrown off by that

7. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    What fingers do you use? 3 fingers on D, G, B strings and an open top E, or just a barre across the D, G, B strings and either mute the E or play a high A with your pinkie? Does it make a difference if you try one of those other chord fingerings?
    I’m wondering if you are hearing a dissonance in the octave between the two E notes (if you have 2!!).

8. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Is the intonation set correctly? What kind of tuner are you using besides a tuning fork ;)

9. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    It doesn't make a difference if I bar the A or use three fingers to play it.

I use a Boss Tuner. I was wondering about intonation but the fact that it sounded the same on a different guitar suggested intonation wasn't the problem.

10. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Maybe squeezing the G string a bit too hard and that's going sharp, so it's making the D string sound odd? Because the D string is wound and the G string is plain (usually) it's often very easy to squeeze the G string too hard, sending it sharp. Just a possibility.

tintag27 likes this.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    How big are your frets?

12. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Say that Kelnet does get personal what?

teletimetx and kelnet like this.

13. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I'm actually laughing out loud right now. :lol:

14. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    this is a well-known problem with guitar tuning. You can tune the guitar perfectly on the open strings, and you can set your intonation at the 12th fret harmonic exactly right. But the fretted notes on the first five frets will sound off. It is the nature of fretted guitars, though some seem to show it more than others.

There are tweaks and tricks to minimize the problem, including tuning to frequencies just under or above "correct" (ie electronic tuner) frequency. These are all compromises to try to deal with the inherent problem of tempered tuning.

There are also hardware solutions, such as the Earvana compensated nut. I have one of these, but I am not really convinced.

If you play a lot of open cowboy-chords like I do, it can get pretty frustrating. Especially in the studio. A perfectly-tuned guitar will sound terribly out-of-tune unless you tune it for the chords you will be recording.

EDIT to add: as mentioned above by others, there can also be tuning problems if your nut is not cut correctly, if your frets are too high, and if you hold down the strings too vigorously. But the inherent problem with fret spacing may persist after all these things are corrected.

15. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I played with a guy who bends the strings on open chords as he plays so that they sound in tune.

16. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Pretty standard sized, nothing unusual.

I should really say that I haven't always had this issue with the A chord or the guitar, which is why I am wondering if this is more of an aging/hearing issue and why I am asking if anyone else has experienced this. I don't suspect that it is a physical issue with the guitar per se, except maybe, possibly with tuning or intonation.

17. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany

18. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Oddly, I find that my ear tuning is much better now as I have gotten older, so I am wondering if I have become more sensitive to the issue of not-perfect intonation?

19. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    I have a compensated nut on my guitar and it makes a big difference. Chords sound sweet everywhere.

20. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    You have a broken finger?.

tintag27 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.