Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A change in overdrive direction.... a RAT got in my house!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by codamedia, May 5, 2017.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    The RAT completely surprised me on how touch sensitive it is ... I don't generally like Distortion boxes (they differ from Overdrives in how the clipping is handled) but this one has captured my attention. Combined with the OD-3 (which is also very touch sensitive) I am able to achieve three very dynamic and distinct results.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

2. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Jan 1, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    I was recording some guitar parts for my buddy's EP at the weekend - one song needed high-up country bends and the odd arpeggio, all very clean with a touch of delay.

The track ends with a solo that needs a little more hair on it. Used a RAT (OK, Mooer Black Secret), gain round noon, guitar volume at 7. Didn't even have to bump my volume for the solo, just played harder.

Afterwards, the producer & my buddy asked if I'd kicked on a boost pedal for the solo...

RetroTeleRod likes this.

3. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    I've been using a Rat since the early 90s. For a long time, I just basically cranked it and used it as an in-your-face "here comes my guitar solo y'all" sound. But a few years ago I got it modded by Keeley and started tuning into more subtle sounds. One of my favorite uses is a classic John Scofield sound where he sets it just on the verge of breaking up and (I'm guessing) turns down the volume on his guitar a little. He gets this warm, fat tone without a lot of distortion, but then when he turns up or digs in, it gets a lot more nasty-sounding. Really nice.

songtalk likes this.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I also think people under-estimate how much clipping is on tap. By maybe 10 o'clock on the Dist know I can get full-on Def Leopard power chord chunk and raging sustain. (Or edgy-clean) if I back off my Volume knob or right hand attack.). Couple that with a backwards "Tone" knob that is overall "bright" and interactive controls (the circuit gets darker the more you crank the Dist - which I think explains why the Filter has the capacityto be so bright) and the subtlety, transparent (yes, I said it) character and dynamics can easily be missed.

Staypuft1652 and RetroTeleRod like this.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Since the Rat might not be an "instant gratification" pedal, and by that I mean there is bit of a learning curve, some folks are too quick to give up on it. Take the time to get acquainted with one and, wow! The Rat is your friend. Here's some ear candy...Jeff Beck with Tele and Rat.

the tool, Agitator and codamedia like this.

6. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I once (in a burst of hubris) wrote up a "how to set your Rat" tutorial. I think I still use that method, but I've internalized it now. Wish I could find it here on TDPRI, but my search skills clearly are not that great. Despite all the odds, I think it was actually a useful guide.

@RetroTeleRod - great clip. Cool to hear what he can do without a whammy bar. I'm not an amp expert. Are those a wall of Super's? Twins? Something else? Gosh I hope he's only playing through/mic'ing one of them . . .

RetroTeleRod likes this.

7. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    "Instant RAT-ification"

Sorry, dad here, I'll close the door on my way out.

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    RetroTeleRod and MilwMark like this.

9. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Jan 1, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    RetroTeleRod and MilwMark like this.

10. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    According to Dan Steinhardt on That Pedal Show (who is definitely an expert in all things stomp box) the RAT is actually a fuzz pedal. I think he mentioned it on a video that was specifically about fuzz.

11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Favorite guitar pedal ever. Get another tubescreamer (or better yet a Maxon OD808 ) and then run THAT into your Rat.

Mmmmmm. Tasty.

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.

12. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I don't really know what that means. Is there a definition of a Fuzz pedal?

RetroTeleRod, waparker4 and Iago like this.

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

Circuitwise, it's an op-amp + hard-shunted diodes distortion box. Not a fuzz.

Iago likes this.

14. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT

15. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Gotcha. I thought it interesting at the time and figured it must be true coming from him but hey, just because a guy is an expert in his field, it doesn't mean he knows everything. :)

16. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 22, 2011
    Northwest Iowa, USA
    It can certainly get fuzz-ish in the higher ranges of its Distortion knob. I like this article:

http://www.electrosmash.com/proco-rat

Interesting analysis of the circuit and the frequency response.

RiverDog and MilwMark like this.

17. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    The great thing about the Rat is how much gain territory can be covered by a single pedal. It can go from a boost to overdrive to distortion on into fuzz territory. The only other dirt pedal I own that can really go all the way from clean to fuzz is the Crowther Hot Cake.

18. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    9:30 is definitely the sweet spot for gain. It has a way of sounding like it's higher gain than it is. The red llama does it too.

19. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    The volume seems to have a huge impact to tone at that exact 2 clock mark.
    Not just in volume but it does something to tone and gain. Before that mark Its all good, but a slight nudge at the volume so Its in line with that mark and boom, huge change.

May just be my Rat... i dont know :D

songtalk likes this.

20. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

It's the one thing that is consistent on all my RATS.

Something magic happens to the tone when the volume hits 2ish.

the tool likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.