Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A change in overdrive direction.... a RAT got in my house!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by codamedia, May 5, 2017.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I play predominantly country and older rock. I keep my amp clean and use an OD-3 for a light overdrive and have always used a Tube Screamer or variant such as an SD-1 for the times I need a bigger solo or a little more crunch. It has served me well for years...

Last week I lost my tube screamer as part of a much bigger trade toward a vintage amp. The amp is harder to find than a stock tube screamer so I had no problem giving it up. I'm not one that likes to spend any cash... so I proceeded to trade an an set of MIM bass pickups for a RAT 2. My thought was... "somebody will trade me a TS-9 for a RAT".

Well, I had a gig last night and took the RAT for a spin. I must say, I'm going to need to evaluate this a little longer. It was very different from what I am used to, but I really enjoyed it. I set it mildly (gain around 9:30) so I could use it as a 2nd overdrive option for rhythms, but when stacked with the OD-3 it really sang on the big leads. I was surprised at how touch sensitive it was considering the mount of gain it has on tap.

I used to own a big box Rat about 15 years ago... but I obviously ignored it's potential.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    That combo (OD-3, Rat) is one of the best, IMHO. Enjoy!

3. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    there's something about the od3 that sounds great stacked with other drive pedals. i've run mine with a bd2 and a joyo american sound and they both take on a creamy, smooth flavour with the od3.

Staypuft1652 and RetroTeleRod like this.

4. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 22, 2011
    Northwest Iowa, USA
    Rats are great. Misunderstood and underrated.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Rats have a reputation as "hair metal" pedals, but they're way more flexible than that. Rats are one of the few dirt boxes I've used that don't really have a "sweet spot," they sound good at all gain settings.

6. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Im also curious... tried many dirt pedals now. Timmy is the only one that i saved though because it just melts in so well with my vox clean tone.

Would a rat sound good into a vox running clean and would it stack good with Timmy. Im thinking Timmy for light OD then rat into the Timmy for heavy rythm? Or rat as heavy rythm alone?

RetroTeleRod likes this.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I've never spent much time playing Voxes, but the Rat is often spoken of as one of the few dirtboxes that plays well with an AC30/AC15.

the tool likes this.

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Rat sounds terrific with my AC-15.

SPUDCASTER, the tool and bendercaster like this.

9. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Are you going RAT into OD3 or OD3 into RAT? Stacking two ODs set lighter is way fun, no doubt.

10. tlimbert65

Feb 22, 2011
    Northwest Iowa, USA
    And, since my RAT recently pushed my SD-1 off my board, I'm changing my avatar to reflect the change. :)

11. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    The RAT is like the Telecaster of pedals. Simple, reliable and does the job.

12. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I don't know about the Timmy, but last night I was running a VOX AC30 on stage and I run my amps clean.

I was running the OD-3 into the Rat. Actually... I run the OD-3 into my CS-2 (compressor) then into the Rat. I like the OD-3 to react to my touch as much as possible... then hit the compressor.

Strictly my opinion... but everything sounds great plugged into the Normal Channel on a VOX. It's just a beautifully voiced simple channel with nothing to get in the way. The Top Boost is a little more finicky but has magic of it's own.

Last edited: May 5, 2017

13. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I run a small pedal board into a sparkly clean AC15 with my band. I use the Rat 2 for some of my leads, and a TS5 for some of my rhythm playing.
    Lately, I've been thinking about replacing the TS5 with a second Rat and setting it up as more of an overdrive for rhythm playing. It is just a great, versatile stomp box.

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    At one point around 90' I ran a TS-9 and 2 Rats. Rat 1 was set to a high gain lead tone and I only ever used it alone. The next in line was Rat 2 set for a crunch rhythm tone. The TS was last set for just breaking up. This went into my Quadraverb then into 2 Supers stereo and later 2 Princetons. The crunchy Rat into the TS for boost was a glorious mid/high-gain lead tone.
    Playing loud was helping but, Rats are amazing.

Staypuft1652 and RetroTeleRod like this.

15. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many

16. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    If you don't mind me asking, what do you use the Digitech RP for? The rest are pretty obvious...

I run a similar board... my Zoom G3 takes care of modulation (tremolo, phase, chorus) and delays (slap, tap and dotted 8th) with quick access to any of those at any given time.

board-2.JPG

Staypuft1652 likes this.

17. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Hi codamedia

I have a lot of DIY tube amps without reverb. The RP-55 I use for mostly reverbs and also special effects. Down in the lower right of board there is a double loop/direct bypass box. The RP-55 is on one loop and every thing else is on the other loop. That way I can bring the RP-55 in and out by hitting that looper switch. The reverbs on the RP-55 are not wonderful but on the other hand, not bad. Platefire

Staypuft1652 and codamedia like this.

18. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Can you elaborate (or anyone else)?

It has been a while since I last used ANY pedal... but a touch sensitive dirt pedal might be interesting.

19. tlimbert65

Feb 22, 2011
    Northwest Iowa, USA
    They have a reputation as being harsh sounding extreme gain pedals (not helped by the fact that they are often listed in ads as fuzz pedals), but they are one of the few pedals out there that sound great across a very wide range of gain, and they are surprisingly sensitive to pick attack and guitar volume knob.

20. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Everyone should try a Rat! (Just ask Jeff Beck) :cool:

Agitator likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.