A chambered LPish looking thing

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freeman Keller, Sep 20, 2018.

1. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Awesome Freeman! Do we get to hear it?

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A real beauty!

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

I made audio clips of both guitars but I don't have a way to host them. I would be happy to send them to you or if there is a very quick and easy way to embed them here. I'm not going to go thru the hassle of setting up a user at a hosting site however, I have used a couple in the past and its just not worth my time. The clips are about 2.5M - I don't know if that is reasonable to embed.

4. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Awesome build Freeman, and that is one lucky friend to take that guitar home with him

5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Freeman, you sir are a bad, baad man! What a cool, beautiful guitar. I've enjoyed following the progress of your build. l'm still pining bad for one of your lovely acoustics. Perhaps when my ship comes in, (after 63 years it's still far out at sea) I can talk you in to building me one. Cool stuff

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hey Freeman... Wow! She's a beauty and thanks for the details on materials, build techniques and costs. Such a nice guitar.

For the sound clips, if you like, you can upload them for free at Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com

If that gives you any trouble, PM me and you can send them to me and I'll upload them to my account.

7. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Fantastic build. Great job!

8. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

wowza!!

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beautiful!

10. Freeman Keller

That is a generous offer. I really have no interest in setting up music hosting - I did it once when I was doing a lot of acoustic stuff, just seems like a big hassle now. Lets see if there is any other interest in hearing this thing (or these things) or if you want to hear the clips, then I might take you up. I would need your e-mail addy (PM to me, not here) since I don't think I can attach to a PM.

When I was working on this the anal engineer that lives in my body was constantly thinking about how it was going to sound and conjuring up all these ideas for doing time and frequency domain analysis of the two guitars - I know how to do all of that but its a lot of work. Frankly when we played them side by side and decided that there was so little difference I kind of put all of that aside. Plus, the guitar left my house but its due to come back in a month.

Bottom line, chambering made no detectable difference in this sample of one. I'll do it in the future. Your mileage and opinions will vary, as they should.

awasson likes this.
  11. awasson

I'd be more than happy to upload those to my Soundcloud account. I use it to post things I'm working on and more often than not, sound clips of testing pickups and whatnot. I've PM's my email address.

Cheers,
    Andrew

12. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister

Absolutely beautiful work!!! Enjoying this thread so much!

13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

As everyone else has said, incredibly jealous of guys like you with these skills. I'd love to have one built for me one day.

14. Freeman Keller

Once again, I want to thank everyone for their kind comments. As some of you know, putting together a build thread can be frustrating and really takes a lot of work. One of the hard things for me is to remember to pick up the camera and take a picture. I realized after I had gone thru all the fret dressing and nut making and set uping that I hadn't taken any picture. Maybe some of it is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and starting to rush towards it.

As I mentioned, we had a little jam session the other night and I recorded bits of it. Forumite Awasson (who happens to share some other interests with me) offered to put them up at his hosting site - I gave up on that a long time ago. As I told him, they are just noodling around but the do have one thing that you don't always get - the guitar controls were set the same, its the same amp set pretty clean and flat, and it was just a matter of switching a foot switch to go from one to the other. As you listen to these remember that some small amount of alcohol was involved and we really didn't intend for this to be anything special.

Les Paul 1 is the original, non chambered maple top. Les Paul 2 is the chambered Spanish cedar top. Everything else is the same

Be kind, please...

15. Freeman Keller

OK, this isn't working. Lets try just pasting the URL

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  16. Freeman Keller

That didn't work either. Andrew??????

17. awasson

EDIT: sorry guys... The SoundCloud generated URL seems to not want to play with the forum software but I’ve got it figure out now.

Les Paul #1:

Les Paul #2:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    CraigB and Les Paul lover like this.
  18. awasson

Sorry about the delay guys. The SoundCloud links were not playing nicely with the forum software but I finally got them to take. Have a listen in the post above.

ctmullins likes this.
  19. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

That confirms my experience with like minded guitars I have built.With same settings,amps,etc they sound exactly the same,BUT I think the hollow versions seen to be just a LITTLE louder and more dynamic.Just one man's opinion lol

20. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Both these LP sound really good.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.