Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Carbon Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Nick JD, May 26, 2010.

1. TobiH

TobiH TDPRI Member

looking forward to hearing her sing

2. deaconque

deaconque Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2009
    Virginia
    With the revival of the Burlapcaster I think its appropriate to revive this old gem and demand videos once and for all. What do you say Nick? We're all curious how it sounds.

3. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    C'mon Nick, finger out! Want to hear that CFcaster go.

Tibet's borders were closed, no Everest, no cerebral endema, hot as buggery here in Nanning!

DC

4. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hate sanding and polishing!

I'll sand and polish it tomorrow - how's that? At least I can be sure the poly is cured... :D

And that's right, I have to do something about that output jack, it's scratchy. I think I'll put in a switchcraft if I can work out how to get that one out. Probably have to grind away some of the cone well edge thingy, as long as one of the cone support screw things isn't in the way.

Wanna know how to stall a project? Make it up as you go along!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC

6. deaconque

deaconque Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2009
    Virginia

7. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    I could resubmit this idea...

[​IMG]

8. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Neutric NC3MP-B

No scratcheee contacts No falling out No big bad noises and in a natty matching Black..

616310.jpg

9. Nick JD

Still can't believe I got that far without considering the cone support killed off any possibility of a normal output jack. Bit like searching the entire house for your sunglasses before the top of your head.

I've measured it all up, and there's room for a normal jack if I grind away the cone support ring just in that one place - the screws that adjust the action (around the cone) will miss the hole by a couple of mm. My only concern would be that it would create a weak area under that part of the cone, and affect sustain ... but I can easily reinforce it there. Sustain is not something you want to mess with in a reso, there's not much to go round before it becomes a banjo. :D And this "reso" is quite possibly more banjo than reso if you think about it!

With a slide and a bit of dirt in the amp it's a very unique tone.

10. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    why on earth was this thread never finished?? =]

11. Nick JD

I'm putting it together as I type! Will wire it up tomorrow if I can get to it.

12. Nick JD

Back together again. Instead of buffing it out I went with a waxed 1200 finish, which doesn't look as pretty, but it feels like moleskin.

Just need to get SWMBO to bring her Zoom H2 back from her studio and I'll do a couple of recordings. I forgot how loud it was acoustically :eek:.

Probably the main reason I stuck it to the back of the workshop was the bad choice I made installing that buck fifty jack that died within an hour or two. Did some major dentistry work on it today with a dremel. If you look closely you can see where the cutter on the weird angle got completely away from me and nearly went right through. It's UGLY, but now it's got a Switchcraft jammed in there (just!). Broke my golden rule (use quality hardware) there and paid for it. :oops:

[​IMG]

Least it's covered up by the cone. Hey, prototypes are not meant to be pretty ... they're are to break new ground! :D

Now I'll tell people the other jack is for a cable to the PA ... shhhh.

[​IMG]

So now I can finally put it in the rack with the other oddities. Learnt a lot from it - well, learnt a lot of what not to do anyway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just realised it's got no strap buttons. :lol:

13. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Looks terrible Nick! Send it to me I'll get rid of it for you!

14. jeremypodom

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    can't wait for sound clips =]

15. Nick JD

I'll have to crank the gain in one of the clips to show the "ebow" sustain. It's not a squeely feedback - it just holds the note indefinitely.

Probably have to get the slide out (something new for me) too, as that's its forte.

16. jeremypodom

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    went looking through my bookmarks and remembered this old thread!

You never posted those sound clips ;)

17. adyyoung2000

adyyoung2000 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 28, 2012
    Northants UK
    Nick,
    I decided months ago to build a CF guitar. I have been doing months of research about the materials and how to set about my build, but only just found your thread, which is amazingly close to what I am planning. I am just at the beginning, butchering an old old squier strat to be my mould plug. Respect to you for doing the resonator. I'm not doing that but have another challenge: the trem spring cavities.
    Just a couple of questions that I couldn't work out from the thread.
    1) how did you join the front/fingerboard to the back? Does it fit like a snug fitting plug, or is it bonded to the end of the sides?
    2) exactly how thick is the back/sides? Is that really rigid enough to deal with spring tension?

Its gonna be a big challenge for me. Only luthiery I have ever done is some minor work on frets so thanks for sharing what you did here.
    Ady

18. Nick JD

I've answered your PM of this. Check your PMs! :D

19. ckloewer

ckloewer Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Just saw this thread. Holy guacamole this is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

20. Dave.W

Dave.W TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2013
    South Wales, UK
    This is an absolutely AMAZING build Nick!!!!
    How did the guitar sound in the end ? Would you say it was a successful concept (are you still using the guitar now ) ?

That fretboard is a thing of beauty too!!! Would you ever consider making Carbon Fiber fretboards to sell on a custom order basis ? Could you make them with a larger Radius than the one you made for this guitar ?
    Being a Parker Fly player i'm a big fan of CF fretboards and i'd love to incorporate a couple into some regular guitar builds in the future.

Could you let me know if that's something that might be possible please!

The things some people make on these forums never ceases to amaze and impress me!!! I just went back and had a look at your Fret Sloterer again to try and figure out exactly how the cutter is moved over the fretboard. Brilliant idea but i couldn't really see how the mechanism is working. Do you have any other info posted here showing it in more detail ?

Thanks for an extremely interesting build thread!;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.