Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Carbon Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Nick JD, May 26, 2010.

1. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it's high time I did a Carbon Fiber build thread. :D

Better start at the beginning - here's some 400g double bias carbon and some ambient-cure epoxy.

[​IMG]

Probably looking toward something like a composite resonator Tele with the front end of a La Cabronita Especial. There's no reason for the resonator cone to be circular if we build it from kevlar.

I'd better go dust off the molds.

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Well, it's about damn time. ;)

3. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Yup

I'll be watching this one.

4. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Bring it on!

5. krauser2

krauser2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2009
    SC
    you silly little B*tch

do it to it

6. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Wasn't it Han Solo who was encased in CARBONITE!!!

I love it....Something new to learn!!!

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I thought that was James T. Kirk :cool:

8. David Collins

David Collins Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2009
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I thought all guitars were carbon. All this does is add the oxygen and hydrogen in with the resin a bit later, and arranges them a little differently. :D

Very cool. I'll be watching.

9. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Should be fun! I'm very curious about CF. Where do you get all the supplies? Is it some kind of specialty place, or what?

10. Nick JD

Yup, I'll be makin' the "wood". None of this "grows on trees" cheatin'. :D

11. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    I wonder if Gil is around? I wonder what kind of sandwich goes with a carbon fiber build?

12. Nick JD

The place I get supplies from probably sells 90% of its materials to the boat building and motor racing industries. A few years back some times it was difficult to get hold of particular types of carbon cloth due to the aerospace industry's insane demand for it - they also drove prices through the roof.

Now it's easier, but still costly. My carbon is Japanese made and its price reflects the US/Oz exchange rate.

13. Nick JD

Carbonite is used to transport Tibanna Gas from the gas giant, Bespin. That's what Lando Calrissian told me last time I was at Cloud City :lol:.

14. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    Unfortunately, probably one that was left in the toaster oven for too long. :lol:

15. Nick JD

So it's out with the body/neck mold.

[​IMG]

It's a Tele-ish shape with a slight offset and a bigger cut-away. It's also about 1/8 of an inch smaller in the body, and the headstock has a 10 degree angle. It's a smidgeon over 1.5" thick and has a 1.7" nut width.

Usually, I've built them to a 25.5" scale, but that's not set in the tooling. 24-26" would work - although 24" might look a bit funny. This one will be a 25" scale, closer to a Gibby than a Tele.

Then I remembered the vacuum bag for this mold died. I make them from latex, so like rubber bands they get a bit perished and sad after a while and develop rips. Big rips and nicely sealed vacuums don't mix ... so we'll make another one!

...except I find there's only a swalla left in the bottom of the container. So I've ordered some more and will pick it up tomorrow, but we might as well put the last of the old container on there.

[​IMG]

This stuff is ammonia based. STINKY - for this the 3M Stormtrooper mask comes out, not because ammonia is bad as such, but breathing catpiss can give one a headache after a while.

[​IMG]

A cheapo brush and some latex.

[​IMG]

And we slap a layer on.

[​IMG]

This will need about another 5 thick layers and a day to dry. Then it's peeled off and set aside - and we have a custom fitted vacuum bag that stretches.

16. ha-milton

ha-milton Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2010
    Nowheres

17. Nick JD

That's pretty much how they make CF. :D

18. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Whatever it is, it will be lighter and stronger than a standard sandwich - though I think he prefers his sandwiches to be exact reproductions of sandwiches from the 50's :rolleyes:

19. Gizlow

Gizlow TDPRI Member

May 25, 2010
    Sweden
    +1, this is completely insane. Naturally, I love every inch of this thread already. :D

20. Nick JD

First layer of the latex bag is nearly dry. When I finish it up we can get into cutting some carbon. :D

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.