Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Burlap Guitar Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Nick JD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Pretty darn cool. I hadn't figured that it was hollow in the original picture from a few days ago. Perhaps a Supro Reso telecaster is in order...:)

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    +1 :)

3. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was seriously thinking about doing a silver sparkle pink paisley for the last Tele Challenge - but got swamped with a current project.

Too many ideas, not enough time.

4. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    Wow, what a shame. Looks amazing!
    Glad you had some photos to record it for posterity.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

You could call it a Tele- Glasster.

6. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    Cool process, Nick. Are the failures costly? (It'd be nice if it could be melted down and re-used, but life aint like that).

7. Nick JD

Not at all. This one cost all of about $30 in materials (all the tooling is reusable and the hardware is always reusable).

Then again, I played it for nearly a year before the relief became a ski jump.

The CF guitars that come out of this tooling play like a dream, so this was a good learning exercise on fiber strength - especially with my latest stuff, blending the best of wood with the best of composites.

I'm the last to say composites are the new wave of guitar building - that's crap. They're great, but so's wood. IMO, there's room for innovation, but not really for improvement. Composites are expensive because they can't be made by computer, and in that sense, they are kinda old-school.

The guitar is an old instrument. I like the idea of an old instrument made new. I'm the kind of fool who thinks a Rat Rod with a Lexus V8 in it is a great idea.

8. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2007
    hamburg, NY
    Nick... that's really neat..... I was intrigued by the fret slot cutting setup you fabricated that is in a couple of pics.... is it discussed and shared in any previous threads? if not would you mind describing or possibly adding it to the DIY tools & jigs?

Burlap.... holy cow!!! amazing......

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

9. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2009
    Iowa
    Thanks for posting this thread Nick. I followed the original a long time ago but never heard how the whole thing turned out. Too bad it didn't work out in the end, but it was a pretty sweet idea. I'm sure if you wanted to do Burlapcaster V2.0 you could make it work.

10. hockeygoon

hockeygoon Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Norwich CT
    And I thought covering a guitar in burlap would be cool. :eek:

11. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Nick ........... how would you rate burlap as a tone fabric? How does it compare with other tone fabrics such as tweed, flannel, denim, or an old T-shirt?

12. Nick JD

13. Nick JD

Yeah, the issue was with the neck - the rest of it was fine, which was surprising because lots of corners were cut.

It's a good idea to visualise a guitar neck as a sandwich (not the edible one; the composite one!). This diagram describes it best.

[​IMG]

As you can see, as two surfaces are separated (and held together by a core material) their overall stiffness increases at a much higher rate than their weight. High end yachts are often balsa (or PVC foam, or polyurethane honeycomb etc) cored for the same reason.

So with a neck, you have the back under tension, and the fretboard under compression. But since burlap is pretty weak under tension, and worse under compression I reckon the whole neck would have needed to have walls (hollow) about a half inch each ... which is the entire thickness of the neck! Essentially, burlap fibers in an epoxy matrix is hardwood. I was asking too much of the material.

With CF, the walls are about 3mm thick.

A burlap guitar would work great if you reinforced it with enough CF to make it not really a burlap guitar anymore :D.

14. Nick JD

:D

It's guitars like this that show just how little difference wood makes in the tone of an electric guitar.

15. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2007
    hamburg, NY

16. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Jun 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Silk is not really a traditional materal to answer your question. Linen is thoug, it was used to reinforce rib to back and to in Vials and Strad used it across his cello ribs. Wipe some hide glue, put a strip down wipe more glue.

Have you looked up Joeseph Curtain's work with composit violins, violas? Search for Avia.

I made some guitar tops for acoustic steel string guitars using sandwich composit technology with a foam core. I still play it since 1995.

17. Fuzzblaster

Fuzzblaster Tele-Meister

Jun 10, 2010
    Kelowna, BC
    this woul look great in a cabronita style build :D

18. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2011
    Michigan USA
    I'm scratching my head that I just seen and read all of this. Awesome is the first word that comes to mind, your a he11 of a craftsman!

19. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    How do you think, would have been the best way to incorporate a truss-rod? All I"m coming up with is a wood core in the neck with truss-rod in the core. How would you have done it? :)

Dave

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.