A blue moon has risen.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by fasteddie42, Jun 14, 2019.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Two amps popped up locally.

Fender exclesior with hang tags for $200

Fender bassman Ltd for $850

I would love to hear any advice/experiences/guidence as I have zero experience with these amps and both are used private seller scenarios.

My current flavors are a 65 prri, fender greta, and a pro junior.

I feel like the excelsior is in the same wheelhouse. (though I'm an admitted pawn shop series fan, and I love a good deal)

The Bassman ltd caught my eye.

I've been craving somthing sweet like my princeton but with a tighter bass at louder volumes. Plus... 4x10 seems like it'd be fun :twisted:

I understand the scattershot nature of this thread, I'm fine with whatever you'd like to share.

Thanks y'all!

2. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Fender Bassman has been a popular amp for generations, both for bass and guitar. Can't comment further, as I don't have one.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Let's get this out of the way - the Excelsior is a cheapo chinese-built amp made to look like a fancy boutique brand of some sort. 13 watts, an awful speaker and a pressboard cabinet. It's a fun looking, OK sounding amp for beginners or experienced player/techs with lots of time who like to strip out chassis and do mods. I got one REALLY cheap, put a real tone control on it (it does not have one), did a bunch of mods, installed good tubes and a great speaker and gave it to a broke friend that could not afford an amp. What I did was worth more than the value of the amp. Don't waste your time. Your Princeton is probably louder and is definitely better sounding.

The Bassman is in another category altogether but a very loud amp by the time you reach enough volume to drive the output stage and speaker for good clean tone - so lets get THIS out of the way:

What style(s) do you play?

Do you play just at home or with a band? If at home, are there others you need to consider when thinking about volume levels?

If you gig what types of venues (size, capacity, shapes, ceiling heights, wall surfaces, are there stages, are amps mic'd?)

What size of band and what do the other players use?

You're asking about amps with zero context. Answers will primarily be "I really like the" or "my favorite amp is the" but have little to do with what YOU do.

6stringcowboy and Greggorios like this.
  4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

You can get a nice clean tone from the Bassman at home volumes. Fat, juicy, and rich in mids. Problem is, you'll find out that giving it more volume to work the output section a little sounds even better. And pushing the amp to proper distortion is an otherworldly experience that you'll want to repeat again and again. My clone begs to be turned up like no other amp I own does.

If you have a basement with thick walls and understanding neighbors, or if you can use it on stage in a bigger room where it can be turned up, it's an absolutely great amp. One of the classics. By all means, at least go try it out so you can experience the sound and the volume. And take a Strat if you have one. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Excelsior ain’t great but - I play through one at a buddy’s house with the stock speaker and tubes that has been used for synth and all those low/frequencies for about 6 years now.

It’s wAaaaaay beyond broken in /burned in.

Sounds way better than the one I own with upgraded glass and Emi Legend speaker. It just does . Don’t know why and admittedly it’s a lo-fi Valco-ish sound but - it barks .

NothingGoatboat and Greggorios like this.
  6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's funny how one example out of a bunch of amps will sound fantastic and the rest mediocre; or one example of a usually fantastic amp line will simply sound dead no matter what you do to it.

That's the fun of these crazy things!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I have the LTD. Posted a lot here on that amp. But one more time....

It's my favorite 4x10. I like the tone better than a super reverb except the LTD has no reverb. To make it sound heavenly you need to pick up a Fender reverb tank or a reverb pedal of your choice. Fender went back to the drawing board after re-releasing the Fender Bassman amp a few years prior to releasing the LTD model. They added a circuit more in line with the originals 50s amps and also a pine, finger joint cabinet. Some people take shots at the modern Jensen speakers in the amp but I can report, after about 50 hours of playing, they break in, round in tone and sound pretty close to the 50s amps. There are some minor mods you can do in the circuit to bring them fully in line with the originals. It's a powerful amp, will keep up with almost any band and you can drive the treble potentiometer to some great distorted tones. The original was the basic design of early Marshall amps and it shares that wrangley cutting high end which cuts through a band a bit more than the Super Reverb which is a bit more rounded in the high end. If this is going to be an at home amp then better played in the garage then the bedroom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.