Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A/B’ed 2 amps : ‘79 Princeton Reverb & 2016 ‘68 Custom PR

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Bandmate’s 79 PR and a ‘68 Custom PR that a friend of mine had shipped to me as he is out of town.

Long and short of it , totally different amp behavior .

A good part of it is that the ‘79 has one of the worst non-gradual volume pots I’ve ever experienced . So it basically goes from off to 5 immediately. But , it’s Dean Zink serviced so it’s in tip-top condition otherwise.

That aside, both amps have Celestions in them - the 79 has a 60 watt Celestion in it (the one Campilongo uses) and the CPR has a Celestion Gold 10.

68 : boomy at low volume with the bass at 1, very quiet operating amp , great trem and reverb, tone/crunch at full volume very good and arguably better than the 79.

79 : the amp most folks would pick in a blind listening test, sounds like really good PR - what your ear would expect - and if you don’t like speaker breakup I think that 60 watt Celestion is one of the best speakers for a PR.

The owner of the 79 ? He wants to change speakers ! :lol: Wants early speaker breakup. So maybe I’ll get the Celestion back !

Alright, not a great shootout/comparison but certainly not one of the worst...

Nickadermis and nojazzhere like this.

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    I like it. You get total credit for doing an actual test. Your impression also suits my confirmation bias -- I had a '68 CPR and found it very different from the BF clone I built later.

K1121 likes this.

3. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    so wait a sec.. the one you are calling a '68 is actually a recent/current reissue made by Fender?

and the one you are calling a '79 is a made-in-1979 Fender Princeton Reverb amp?

and both of them - for some strange reason! - are sporting Celestion speakers, not any kind of real Fender equipment?

crazy, man...

King Fan likes this.

4. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    What guitar did you play thru them? I find with humbuckers the bass goes to 1 , but with my strats 3. I actually like strats thru the 68 alot . It took me a while to figure out Gibsons thru the 68. Much of it was a broken in speaker. Nice to hear a comparison of something that is really a silver face.

5. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    I have a 68 custom. I agree about the boominess, but it is less pronounced when I play my Gretsch (with TVJones pickups) through it. I would have expected the opposite. For my single coil Fenders, I keep the bass at 1. Friend of mine with a Mosrite cranks the bass on it to 7. I did the resistor mod on it to tone down the bass, now it sounds great.
    I chose the 68 custom because it is less bright than the PRRI and breaks up sooner. That fits my playing style.
    The 68 custom comes with a Celestion 10-30 installed. I like it a lot. I might try a Weber in there just to compare, but I do like it as it is. The only comparison I have right now is with a Warehouse Veteran 30 in a Mojotone cab. It is louder than the Celestion, but not necessarily better.

6. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    So Garruchal, you still keep the bass at 1 even after you did the resistor mod ?

To be fair I don’t know if the Celestion gold in the 68 custom I was using is completely broken in yet.

The guitar I was using was a completely gutted MIM Tele w/ a Fralin in the neck and a Cavalier Huge Lion (very P90) in the bridge .

7. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I have a tiltback amp stand that keeps it off the floor. That helps quite a bit. Now that my speaker is broken in its not nearly as boomy .

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    It would be interesting if you had tried plugging up the speakers to each amp to see how much difference that makes, as is seems like you were comparing a low efficiency speaker with a high efficiency speaker in addition to the different amp circuits.

9. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    The Gold is a 40 watt and the vintage 10 is a 60 watt speaker w/ sensitivity very similar. I know they’re voiced very differently . Yeah we should have plugged the amps into each other’s speakers but the bass settings and gain at the same volume tell the tale

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Interesting comparison!

I'll say that the Celestion Gold ten is the best sounding ten I know of for use as a single speaker that can handle some power.
    Haven't tried this 60w Celestion (10" ?) of which you speak though.

My late '70s Princeton was gutted before it came my way and is now an entirely different 6L6 amp...

11. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    That 60 W Celestion is the one that Jim Campilongo uses, but I just took it out of a trace Elliot Velocette and sold it to my buddy before I knew about any of that.

It’s a very good speaker for a Princeton.

Like I said, I don’t think that gold is broken in yet.

12. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Update : my friend who owns the 68 Custom Princeton is selling it 48 hours after he got it.

Whatever it does, he doesn’t like it.

13. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    Its not everyones cup o tea.It does take a long time to break in the speaker imo. Much of the boominess complaints stem from that. Plus its not the 65 prri with silverface cosmetics, or even a silverface with silverface cosmetics. Hope your friend finds what he wants.

14. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I don’t think he even knows what he wants, but I know what he needs:

A silverface non-verb Princeton with a decent mid-level efficiency speaker .

He has also been told this by his amp/guitar tech many times.

I wonder why he’s resisting?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.