Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

98 MIM Squier

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Tiger80, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    It won't. All the ones with Squier Series decals had black Fender logos. But you're right, you'd have been able to see the traces. Many of them left ghost images after they were sanded; even if they didn't, the sanding itself usually leaves a telltale discoloration.

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I had a '96 MIM Squier tele once. It had been refinished daphne blue laquer. It was beautiful - great quality, solid as a rock and played great. I even liked the pickups.

But that bridge. Man, that thing sucked. I like the idea of keeping with barrel-type saddles, and having 6 of them so each string is individually adjustable. Great idea, horrible execution. The springs on mine rattled like crazy. And not a good "spring reverb" kind of rattle or even sympathetic like a strat. It made the thing sound broken. I had to swap it.

3. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana
    I see, yes that looks more like it. LPB it is.

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I would have said LPB aged a bit, vintage LPB is Lucite (acrylic) but often as a custom colour in the 60s shot with nitro clear. So the nitro yellows and darkens and turns into a lovely teal colour. Think poly can't age after ten years? Think again. My 1999 MIM Thinline. This was about ten years back - even darker, now! Check the bikini Tanlines, original colour under pickguard.

69_reissue_aged_finish.jpg

5. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    naperville, il
    I have this same MIM Squier Tele in the same LPB finish but mine is a top loader. I have since converted mine into an "Esquier" with a new bridge pickup, pickguard, control plate, knobs, and wiring harness. I believe the gold Squier logo is original. Mine is from 1997 and I speculate that Fender changed the logo from the Fender Squier Series into the gold MIM Squier logos from the early 90s to late 90s. Regardless, it's a great guitar and aside from the cheap electronics and tuners, is on par with a MIM standard tele IMO.

Here it is next to my 62RI Thin Skin in LPB (nitro)

[​IMG]

Picton likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.