Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

98 MIM Squier

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Tiger80, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPaCs4yQS8te6Wnu2tx12h8J7Bxba_DRfPqeZJX

Sorry I can't figure out how to get the serial # photo

Got this gold label tele in a trade for a CV Strat that I didn't care for. I have about $175 in it and even though it is "just" a Squier, I like it far better than my MIJ double bound tele, Cabronita MIM (which I enjoyed far better than a US one), Tele Select US, Baja, CV double bound, and James Burton Tele. I keep thinking those others are far superior but the feel on this neck is outstanding and it has a bit of beef to it as well as some really nice flame that is hard to see in the photos.

I have attempted to learn about these as much as possible on the net but could any of you experts elucidate me regarding the materials and specifics or where I can find out more about this specific model. It seems this one is one of the first year MIM production before they were labeled as Fender not Squier. Is that true? Basically this would be a MIM Fender then? The color in the photo is bluer than in real life. It is almost a turquoise. Anyone know what color Squier called it?

I have read the tuners are bad (although these seem to hold fine) and the bridge is cheap as well as the electronics and the pickups. I like this one enough to upgrade but not sure what parts to get that would be an improvement. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ike

Attached Files:

Dismalhead and jimytheassassin like this.

2. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    That's a great looking guitar. If it rocks your world - all that matters at any price point. I wouldn't let the Squier name worry you. They are mostly just as good and in some individual cases better than higher priced Fenders. If it's set up the tuners are probably fine. Great guitar to play out and learn to set up. If you decide to mod it, plenty of parts and options..

Got a good gig bag?

4. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    They were cranking out plenty of MIMs as early as 1990-1, equipped and branded every which way. Yours is not early. I generally make a point of changing out trapezoidal Squier tuners like yours; I doubt they won't do the job, I just prefer saf-t-posts or the old PW auto-trims.

The electronics in there will definitely be upgradeable, which isn't to say they won't work fine as-is. Pickups are your choice.

Nice Tele. Love the color.

awasson likes this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Those are the 'trapezoid tuners' and many people swap them out as fast as they can although they work fine. Just always 'tune up' (like you should with any type of tuner). I have a couple of frequent players that have trapezoid tuners.

The electronics, just change as you wear them out. I like Bourns pots, but CRL are the typical Fender options, Oak-Grigsby (4-way) switch, switchcraft output jack. I put 4-way because if you are rewiring anyway you should get that extra option as it's like getting a "free" Les Paul. Put shielded cable from the jack to the controls to reduce noise.

I also like to rotate the control plate, Volume up front, tone, switch to the back. If you watch some Bill Kirchen Hot Rod Lincoln videos you'll see why.

6. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the info, folks. So my assumption that it is an 89 is correct? This would be right after the "Squire Series" but before the MIM Fenders without the Squire logo, correct. I figure it's basically a MIM Fender Tele but with a Squier label. My son has a MIM Squier Series and it is really nice from about the same era - can't remember exactly when he bought it. Is this one alder or poplar body? I'm sure it's multi piece but how could I find out how many pieces (without stripping it - which I just am not going to do)?

Interesting story, I bought a CV Strat from MF in burgundy mist for I think it was $220 on a deal of the day. Couldn't for some reason enjoy the neck so I asked to send it back. They said they could take it back but I had to pay $30 shipping both ways. So I put it up for sale on local CL for $250 and a fella here offered the Tele in trade. I played and immediately fell in love with it. We traded and then in a week put it up for sale on CL also. I felt sorry but he didn't ask to trade back. I definitely got the better end of that deal.

I do have a Reunion Blues thick gig bag that I carry whatever guitar I'm playing out in. I have an extra hard case for it I can use but it sits on my rack at home handy to pick up whenever.

Ike

7. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana
    I am a newb here but spend most of my forum time on The Gear Page. Felt like I could get more specific info on this one here.

8. Picton

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    1998, yes. I believe the "Squier Series" lasted '94-'95 or 6,but remember that Ensenada wasn't just making one product line at a time. The factory made many different lines simultaneously. 1994 MIM products can be branded Fender (silver label), Fender (black label, no Squier series), Fender Squier series (also a black label), or Squier (black label, I think, with Fender in tiny script). All are correct. Your gold lettering is correct for the late '90s.

They were differentiated by quality of hardware and electronics and, increasingly, by quality/number of pieces of wood. Which I wouldn't be concerned about; there's enough poly on that sucker that one piece vs 12 piece is basically moot. If you take the PG or the neck out and look into the cavities, you might get a sense for whether there's a seam in there. I doubt it's worth worrying about.

So I wouldn't get hung up on thinking of it as "basically a MIM Fender," except in the sense that every Squier is "basically a Fender." But make no mistake: it's a Squier; if it plays well, no need to worry about what's on the headstock.

9. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Picton. I am going to play it no doubt and I don't care what it says on the headstock. Just trying to get a sense of what it is. I have many high end guitars and some inexpensive ones, too. If it speaks to me, I'm going to play it and I really like this one. So, what were the colors offered by Squier in 98? Was turquoise one of them? Is there a Squier resource that details these sorts of things?

Ike

10. Picton

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    No idea on the color, sorry. It could be Ice Blue Metallic? That was certainly offered in 1998. Some of the folks over at squier-talk.com can perhaps tell you more.

You can do a Google search for that color, but it's always hard to tell with photos.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017

11. Picton

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Tiger80, I've been rereading my posts and should clarify: some folks feel that a Mexican Squier, built in a Fender-owned factory, is "more Fenderish" than the Asian-made Squiers, which were made by other companies under contract to Fender. Certainly the measurements are closer to contemporary Fender spec; Asian factories used metric.

Not sure I buy that. A lot of Squier aficionados claim the Korean Squiers made by Cort in the late '80s are some of the finest FMIC products ever made. The point is that what differentiates a Squier from a Fender, at any period, is a combination of lower-cost labor and downgraded electronics.

Which doesn't make them bad guitars. A lot of my friends gig regularly with stock Squiers, and I suspect that Clapton with a $79 Squier Bullet would still sound pretty damn great!

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

From '93-'98 MIM "Black Label" Teles came in "Squier Series" and "Traditional Series".

The TS was a little more upgraded than the SS.

The TS came with a 3 ply pickguard like Tigers.

His guitar could be made up of TS and SS parts with a Squier
    headstock decal.

13. Picton

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Could be. But why? A Fender decal would have allowed them to charge the extra $50 at retail. If you're using TS/SS parts, why not label them like the rest of the TS/SS products?

14. joshote

joshote Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2010
    Camarillo Ca
    I just bought a 98 MIM Squier Strat body that is the same color as this one. The seller said it is Lake Placid Blue. I attached a neck from a mid 80's Japanese Squier that plays like butter.
    Yours is a nice looking guitar!

Tiger80 likes this.

15. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana

No doubt! :)

16. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana
    After I took the photo I thought, man, that is Lake Placid Blue exactly. But in real life it doesn't look like that. I'm going to take it to a store where they have a lake placid blue and compare. I imagine the colors would still be different from different eras though.

17. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana
    This guitar could be modified some way - I haven't opened it up to look. But it was represented as stock. Just seems like a tweener based on what I have read. I don't see any evidence of ever having had "Squier Series" where it would be if present.

18. Tiger80

Tiger80 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Louisiana
    I really appreciate the input and the compliments, folks, btw.
    Ike

19. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Here's my long gone lake placid blue strat in natural light for you to compare, that tele definitely looks like it in the photo but it has varied from a slightly darker and lighter than the LPB finish you'll find on more recent guitars.
    DSC00266.JPG

20. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Might have ran out of necks. Doubt if they'd not use the other parts.

All speculation here. As long as he's happy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.