Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

'98 Affinity Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by JD59, Sep 19, 2018.

1. JD59

JD59 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 19, 2018
    US
    Hi Everyone, just signed up.

I just bought this 1998 Squier Affinity Tele, MIC, Serial starts with CY981...

It has a thick body, 1.75 rosewood fret board but other than that, I don't know if it's worth keeping as is.

My question for anyone is, since I'm new to all this, should I leave this alone or would it matter if I re-color it. I hate the black. I want to maybe make a warm grey color or something.

If anyone has any ideas or info on this, thanks for the help in advance

Attached Files:

2. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west
    you have a very affordable decent sounding and playing Tele with no collecter value..go nuts!..[​IMG]

WetBandit likes this.

3. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

4. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

5. JD59

JD59 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 19, 2018
    US
    Love the color choices! A little extreme for me though.

Any suggestions on any upgrades other than a new set of strings? I think I have a new Tusq XL black that may fit it too.

Sounds really nice now.

6. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

after spending thousands of dollars and owning dozens of guitars and modding lots of them...….…………..here's what I would do....play the crap out of it..good luck

telestratosonic likes this.

7. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    New strings are not an upgrade---but that is all I would do :)

nicod98 likes this.

8. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca
    When you say 'thick body', that says not Affinity to me. What is the actual body thickness?

As others have said, you will not affect the resale value in any way by repainting it. Go nuts.

There are thousands of mod threads here, just use the search bar.

9. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

The early Affinitys had full thickness bodies (and rosewood board necks).

They did a couple of nice colours, the "butterscotch" was a nicer shade than the later Affinitys and I used to have a lovely surf blue one some time ago, that was an option.

Great Squiers, nice necks, tough as anything and fun to either mod the heck of, or play as is.

Telecentric and nicod98 like this.

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Thickness of 1997 and 1998 is the same as a regular tele, the thinner top load body was introduced in 1999.

Even though I like to see nice inventive colouring as the ones above, it's just not for me. I'm more of a traditional look kind of guy (but with a twist)

I went nuts on a blue 1997 (transformed into a Nashville tele), and a BSB/almost natural 1998 is still undergoing its transformation to an HS 70's chrome tele...

Squier Affinity Modified Nashville.jpg Affinity 98 Natural.jpg

Bobby73 likes this.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Here's one I rescued. It started as a gray when I got it but was originally the penguin style black and white (I guess). I have done other rescues if you look up my threads you can find them.

Leave the stock nut unless it's damaged like a side is chipped off. I've seen more problem with intonation and tuning after someone 'upgrades' than not. Pickups will be fine. Focus on the pots, cap, switch, jack, cavity shielding, and shield the wire from the volume pot to the jack. Oh, and get a 4-way switch not a regular 3-way ... you can add a stealth LP humbucker tone to the guitar.

There is a rattle-can spray thread the last two weeks on here.
    Don't strip the old paint ... that job ends up being a mess. Scuff the existing finish and overspray with primer and top coat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.