Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

94 Fender Squire Series Telecaster put back together

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by telel6s, Oct 13, 2018 at 11:47 AM.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I bought this guitar in September 2012 at an antique mall on the Maryland Eastern Shore. $150. It's one of the guitars where body & neck were US made and sent to Mexico for assembly. Thought I would use it as a modding platform but it played well as-is so I never did anything to it. Even the top loading six-saddle bridge does it's job.
    [​IMG]

Fast forward several years and the 24 year old cheap mini pots and plastic switch needed replacing. So I put in full-size pots, an Oak-Grigsby switch and some copper shielding tape to fix things up. I also switched out the original pickups, which sounded just fine, with some OC Duffs that I've used in three other guitars since first buying them in 2005. The OC Duffs are a bit hotter & fatter sounding bordering into P-90 area.

[​IMG]

I brought it out to two open mics this week. Plays and sounds great. It's nice to have a smooth, clean volume pot again and the pickups suit me better than the originals. I still need to complete the setup for intonation, string height and pickup height but it is back in working order and that's what matters. I know the Antigua pickguard is not everyone's cup of tea but I like to do things a little different sometimes.

[​IMG]

2. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I love it! These 90's Squiers can really be diamonds in the rough- and here's to all things Antigua! The only thing not cool about that to me, is that an Antigua somewhere has a Squier pickguard! ;)

3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I write this mostly in jest, but......

This post was originally put in the Telecaster Discussion Forum and not the Squier Tele Forum (admins moved it) because this guitar is a Fender Telecaster Squier Series. It is not a Squier Telecaster. Squiers were being produced at the same time. But this guitar has US-made Fender body and neck. It was assembled in Mexcio with a Fender logo on the headstock. It is more in line with the current Fender Standards made in Mexico than with any Squier branded guitars.

The descriptions of the forums are:

Fender Telecaster Forum:
    The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Squier Tele Forum:
    Fender's Squier brand makes tons of interesting Telecasters. Talk about them all here.

So since this guitar is not a Squier branded instrument, I correctly posted in the Fender Telecaster Forum.

Just a little history and information for y'all. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 11:55 AM

4. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Well, I have no idea where that Antigua body is these days or what pg it is wearing, but when I owned it had a flat black single-ply pickguard. :) Which is how the Antigua pg ended up on a shelf in my music room to be resurrected on this Tele.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.