Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

920D Baja wiring troubles. Help needed

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TheBadHombre, Nov 6, 2017.

1. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

Alright so here’s the low-down. I order a 920D loaded Baja pickguard with twisted Teles. Long story short, we install it all just like the following black and white picture illustrates. IMG_1963.JPG the only difference is that, even though the bridge pickup had a copper bottom that the bridge screws ground to, we added the ground wire that’s stuffed under the bridge also by soldering it to the volume pot. So now I have 2 problems: 1. Theres a noise issue (probably a ground issue) that goes away when I touch ANY metal 2. The Baja switching is supposed to be bridge, bridge and neck, neck, and bridge and neck in series. However, for me it is bridge, bridge and neck, bridge, bridge and neck in series. I tend to ride the neck pup – especially as it’s a twisted tele, so i really want to have it available by itself. Anyway if you need a picture of the real deal I’ll add it but I’m sure it wired up just like the diagram. My suspicion is that it all has to do with the extra ground because it’s grounded one way to the bridge, but the second ground just sends it back to the volume pot, and thus creating one big circuit. Sounds great apart from that. Thanks for any help. PS - maybe this question will ignite an argument among all of you and thus draw more attention to this thread: if pickups merely detect the disruption of the their magnetic field caused by string movement, then what and how does the wood a guitar is made of effect tone (being that wood is not magnetic)?

2. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Without engaging the S-1 switch, the first three blade switch positions deliver standard Telecaster wiring, with a special in-series fourth position that creates a thicker tone with more output. Like so:

• Position one: bridge pickup only
    • Position two: bridge and neck pickups in parallel
    • Position three: neck pickup only
    • Position four: neck and bridge pickups in series
    Engaging the S-1 switch on this particular Telecaster introduces out-of-phase circuitry to blade switch positions two and four only, with positions one and three remaining unaffected. This produces a thinner and more-hollow tone of the kind often heard in, for example, funk and early electric blues. Like so:

• Position one: bridge pickup only
    • Position two: bridge and neck pickups in parallel and out of phase
    • Position three: neck pickup only
    • Position four: neck and bridge pickups in series and out of phase

1.I would check those leads into the S-1 but what your hearing has both pickups working just not right. Are your leads going into the S-1 just as above? Im assuming thats a Fender photo but I dont know.

Heres what I would do check the original diagram from Fender against your guitar wiring. Bascially you have a Tele with a added Neck-series and the same with the S-1 only adding out of phase which is very useful imo.

Im not sure what you did with the extra ground since you lost me in here I'll show you....

"even though the bridge pickup had a copper bottom that the bridge screws ground to,"

OK but here Im not understanding here....

"we added the ground wire that’s stuffed under the bridge also by soldering it to the volume pot."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

3. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Heres a video explaining the S-1 thus you can check your wiring to it. Switching 4:02 below

4. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Its your energy hitting the string which is transferred via bridge and nut into the body and neck woods, same principle as acoustic just with the electronics added instead of a sound chamber, various woods or whatever add their flavor to energy transfered just as various pick-ups do? :)

So what your really talking is whats the difference from a pick-up and a microphone assuming you wanted to mic the acoustic. A microphone is not a pickup, and a pickup is not a microphone. However, they are both transducers. So you convert pressure into a electrical signal. You didnt need the electronics in either case-secondary to the actual sound and playability of the guitar? lol

All that above- "imho" lmao.

5. TheBadHombre

First of all I apologize for the rushed composition of the post. Second, I’m assuming you know that on some Teles that have pickups with plastic bobbins, there is a wire that goes from the volume or tone pot to the underneath of the bridge. That’s how the circuit is ground. But on other teles the pickup has a copper plate on the bottom that the height adjustment screws touch when they are screwed in, thus grounding the circuit to the bridge. On mine however, both of these grounding methods were used, and I think they cancel out each other’s ground by creating one big loop that goes from control assembly, to bridge pickup, to bridge ground wire, and back to control assembly. So I’m sure that’s gotta be the cause of the noise issue.

6. TheBadHombre

Im not sure if you got the reply. I don’t want to sound pushy but I’d appreciate the help

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.