Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

9"x15" CTS speakers?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I'm drooling over a pretty cool custom amp built off a vintage chassis with a custom cab. The cab has a pair of CTS 9"x15" speakers, were these probably stereo speakers originally ? I'm not familiar with ovals that big?

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Those are almost always hi-fi speakers. If so they are not voiced like guitar amp speakers.

Many of the oval speakers I've seen have "whizzer" cones in the center which don't work well for guitar at all. Normally they also have very low power handling.

Can you post a link? It's very odd for a guitar amp to be marketed with those speakers. Unless you can try it in person I'd pass. If those are vintage hi-fi speakers you would not want to run any distortion through them.

3. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Most are hi fi speakers with some having foam surrounds and whizzer cones which are not for guitar amps. But Gretch made some funky little amps with oval speakers and I have a 6x9 baffle cut for my 5f1 champ. An old Oxford, alnico speaker Muchxs sent with it, that is built like a guitar amp speaker. Paper to the edges and corrugated with a felt(ish) dust cap. What it lacks in bass, it makes up for in a more compressed sound at a lower volume. When it overdrives, it doesn't sound like a cranked up a.m. radio in the dash of your Dads old Chevy. YYMV but it works in that amp.

4. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Depends what you want them for. Yamaha had trapezoidal speakers in their vintage TA15 and TA30 amps - they had a unique tone that worked for some things. Gigging at high volume with distortion, probably not.

6. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    This is a custom build not a production offering so the history isn't known.

7. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I just have a soft spot for weird/unique amps and this one looks different than the "standard" offerings. I have a few different "work" amps, this would be more just to scratch an itch.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It may be a custom amp but I'll guarantee those are not custom speakers. The tooling cost to make the frames alone would be prohibitive even for a large amp manufacturer.

Who is the maker? Do you have a link, or pictures, or any other info?

9. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    No further pics. The seller just advertises them as "vintage 9"x15" CTS speakers" they are being sold with a 10 watt Newcomb head. All he could tell me was that they were from the 60's he believed.

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I'm not familiar with 9x15 oval speakers. Are you sure about the size?
    I think some older Supro and maybe other amps came with oval speakers. 6x9 type speakers were commonly used in cars , I always wondered how a pair would sound in a low watt amp.
    Seems like Weber was selling some 6x9 guitar speakers at one time.

I was thinking about trying a pair of 6x9s in a Bandmaster Reverb head some years ago, but at that time I couldn't find any new 6x9s that weren't coaxial.
    I ended using a pair of 8" speakers and it sounded surprisingly good!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.