9.5" vs. 9.5"-14.5" compound radius neck questions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JK1964, Jan 27, 2013.

1. JK1964

JK1964 Tele-Meister

Hi again gang. Still pulling my hair out (what's left) on which Tele to buy. In my massive research, I have one question maybe you can help me with. One of the (many) Teles I'm looking at is a Fender American Deluxe Ash. Looks like everything I've been looking for in my Tele, tho more than I really want to spend. The only "issue" or concern I have is that it has a 9.5"-14.5" compound radius neck. I really prefer the moderc C and/or slim tapered necks myself (small hands), and cannot recall if I have actually played this profile. It sounds like a rather large transition, but feel-wise is it still pretty comfortable to play? Also, Any input on the Micro-Tilt neck? Good? Bad?

Also, Like I mentioned in a previous post...I'm kinda set on either a natural wood grain or butterscotch blonde color, But in all actuality, aside from the limited color availability, the MIM standard would be just fine with me otherwise. I have played them and think they're awesome. Am I making too much out of looks? Bang-for-the-buck wise it seems MIM is the best bet for me. I just don't want to buy something and regret it later. Thanks for any and all advise!!

2. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I played one a thought it played very nice. I like thin necks as well and this one was just fine. Best playing tele for me I have ever played for a Fender. You need to play one for yourself as we are all different in our opinions in what is best.

3. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

If you find a MIM that speaks to you go for it and put the saved $ into an amp or your next Tele. You may want to watch local CLs, MIMs come up often for good prices.

I had no idea that Fender made a neck that went to 14.5", I wouldn't want that for myself. Have been playing my 12" radius G&L and was wishing it was a 9.5" but that is personal preference.

4. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

My neighbors Custom Deluxe has this neck. I like it very much. This usually means that others should try it first. When researching the guitar the neck was generally regarded as one of the best points.

Keep in mind that it transitions from 9.5 to 14.5 is very gradual due to the length of the neck. Draw the 2 radius's out on paper. Mark the 9.5 at the nut width and 14.5 at the heel width and compare the two.

Shuster and Maxtone like this.
  5. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

In trying to picture how such a neck might be made, I would imagine that taking a 9.5" radius neck and then using a long board sander to take down the middle more and more as approaching the heel would do it. Then match with the frets (which I have no idea how to do).

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Wouldn't worry at all about the compound radius neck.. Have a 10-16 on my Fano and it only takes a moment to settle into.. It feels very natural to play..

Maxtone likes this.
  7. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

USACG has a custom built machine to do this. They can build whatever a customer wants. As an example you start with a fresh neck and attach it to a swing. For a 12 inch radius both ends of the swing are the same length. For a compound radius the lengths are different. The longer end is raised so that the fretboard remains level with the sanding/routing surface.

I have not done this but there are a number of members here on TDPRI that have come up with creative ways to radius fretboards. They hang out in tele home depot.

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

+1
    I have that neck on one of mine and it is a "player's neck" although as Jerry says- it takes a moment to settle into- just a little different feel to it.

9. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

I had USACG do me a 9.5->14 neck for a Strat a few years back (before I was making my own) and It's great from fast noodling around the 15th fret and cowboy chords up the other end. A great neck choice.

10. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

I believe you are mixing things. The profile of the neck is different than the radius of the fretboard. The Am Dlx is a Modern C profile, with a compound radius fretboard.

In terms of size and shape of the neck in the hand, the Am Dlx is similar to an Am Std (although I have found my BSB AM Dlx to be thicker than other Am Dlx's).

I have found that a compound radius is extremely comfortable to play for both chording in the first few positions (where it is 9.5") and when performing single note runs and bends further up the neck (where it approaches 14.5"). Its the best of both worlds for me.

Don

11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I'm sure it's done on a CNC machine.

12. JK1964

JK1964 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input guys. My main issue was the diameter and thickness of the neck, and it's playability compared to that of say a MIM or MIA std. Don't want something I'm gonna struggle with. Pics to follow if and when I ever make up my mind on the purchase.

13. Terry O'Malley

Terry O'Malley Tele-Holic

I got to play a Tele the other week

7.25 - 10 compound radius

Vintage to modern all at once.

It was great....... I would go for a compound 9.5 - 14 based on that experience.....

Nothing like mixing it up a bit I say

14. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

You can get this attachment from Grizzly for $395, if you have a horizontal belt sander.
    [​IMG]
    Or for $995, get the whole thing! Pretty pricey for radiusing fretboards...
    [​IMG]

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My brother in law has an American Deluxe Tele and the neck is very comfortable for those who like the American Standard Tele neck profile. Perhaps even a little thinner, you need to play one though to see if it would suit you because it has noiseless pickups which you may or may not like. I don't have a problem with them, but some do. What some call sterile I think it just another way of presenting an interesting new Tele sound. The S-1 switch also seems to be if not hated not really liked, but I think it's cool and gives you another choice in having the bridge and neck in series really soulful sound. Sort of a Gibson tone.

LocoTex likes this.
  16. willspear

willspear Tele-Holic

I play mostly 7.25 and 9.5 fenders but honestly the deluxe neck is very playable.

I just don't care for the burst or noiseless pickups. Also a used one never comes up around here for a pice that is buy one and change pickups.

17. olwdillchips

olwdillchips Tele-Meister

I have an Am Deluxe, not huge hands, and it is one of the most comfortable necks I have ever played. I LOVE it.

18. JK1964

JK1964 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking it's gonna be either the MIA Standard natural or the American Deluxe Butterscotch Blonde. Pics to follow...;)

19. HeavyRevy

HeavyRevy TDPRI Member

Can anyone tell me what year the Deluxe Telecasters started adding the compound radius to the neck profile?

20. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

If you like MIM and butterscotch blonde, GC has an FSR MIM with that look. Very nice guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.