Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

9.5 and 12 radius

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mozzarate54, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

What exactly are the major differences between these two?

2. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

One's slightly less curved. Some people find that more comfortable to play.

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's

Or harder to play ,especially if they play CHORDS (something that most guitar players do during 90% of their playing time):p:D

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

2.5 inchs lol ,but really not any big difference which would account for any playing issues.

6. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I have both 12" and 13.7" radius on my guitars and I have played 9.5" radius. No (extra) problem for me to switch back and forth. (The only problem is my sucky playing!) I can switch back and forth on the neck radius okay, chords or picking.

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I like 9.5, but I don't notice too much difference either when switching to 12.

8. Cliff Rogers

Cliff Rogers Tele-Meister

A shallower radius is supposed to be better for bending.

9. Vladimir

Vladimir Tele-Afflicted

I have yet to play a guitar with a 12" radius that's not a short/gibson scale.
    To me, the biggest difference is the space between the frets.

10. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

Nice printable radius guages here (a picture is worth a thousand words):

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/Images/Pickguardian%20Neck%20Radius%20Gauges.pdf

Radius has nothing to do with scale length or fret spacing. My Gretsch 5122DC had a 12" radius (24.5 scale). It was a very fine guitar to play.
    I recut the radius on an epiphone special model neck (24.5 scale I think) from 12" I believe to 9.5. I sanded the bare board down while refretting it and ooooh the shorter scale 9.5 is very cool for my hands anyway. Plays like butter.
    I make everything to 9.5 which is kind of in between I guess (and I have the radius sanding blocks to make them like that) I have yet to even try a 7.5 but would love to.
    I just took a peek at a Martin limited edition which is 16" radius.
    Then there are compound radii which start small and go bigger (larger number means flatter top curve to the fretboard).
    That's all the light I can shed on the subject.
    The actual effect of the different radius I guess has it's pros and cons depending on application. It'd be cool to have a breakdown of the pros and cons of each radius eh...

Gotta try me a 7.25

11. Revv23

Revv23 Tele-Afflicted

Ive been switching between 12-7.25 for a while and ive never really noticed too much. The difference is so minor i wouldnt fret over if. (pun intended)

Ive played one of those ibanez flat necks before wasnt a fan. Maybe for shredders that works but i hated it.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

12. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Tell that to any Spanish-style, classical, flamenco, or gypsy jazz-guitarist. I think they all play a few chords, most of which are a bit more complicated than a standard open chord.

13. Vladimir

Vladimir Tele-Afflicted

I never implied it did. Just sayin' that it's rare to find a fender scale guitar with a 12" radius.
    Most of my guitars are 9.5", but when I've played the Mike Stern Tele which has a 7.25", it didn't feel awkward at all. Didn't even notice until I read the specs.
    On the other hand, different scale lengths are very noticeable to me, especially when playing complex chords.

14. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

My MIM std neck is at least 12", flattest neck I've ever owned.. dunno what's happened to it along the way though (was about 6 years old when I got it)

I also had a thinline w/7.5, chords were fine but I had a hard time soloing on it.. the flatter board is the easiest for me to play standing up

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's

οn low tension NYLON strings.;)

16. GriffinBF

GriffinBF TDPRI Member

I've become used to 7.25" and can no longer easily switch to my humbucker guitar which is 14" and a PRS scale length. I can handle the shorter scale but the 14" radius now bothers me.
    I think I'll replace it with a Music Man Axis.. 25.5 scale length and 10" radius.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  17. fenson

not so rare these days the MIM CP60 has 12 the EJ and SRV do as well.
    The new deluxe has a compound rad some like alot.

18. fenson

and I suspose standard steel 09 are high tension;):D

There are quite a few steel string finger style players using 13 and higher gauge on Martins etc.

Nick IMO learn to think before ya speak:p

19. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

MIM Deluxe Player's Strats are 12". The "rage" in the Carvin world seems to be 14" radius. I don't know why....my Carvin is 12", I think.

20. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Me, too.

Any differences are more apparent on internet forums than when actually playing a guitar.

21. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Holic

You can get your action a little lower with a 12" radius, and it's easier to play high frets. It's very noticeable over a 7.25" radius. However, it's a bit tougher to play barre chords on a 12" neck. 9.5" is a great compromise between the two, as long as you don't need your action ridiculously low.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.