Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

8502-American Ash Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by telemon1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Stevenk734

Stevenk734 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Bwanab,
    The only tele that I know of, that would appear to be of interest, is a classic 50s that is about 600. I already spoke to that owner. He's very nice and is going to bring it by after I sell my Baja.
    He's about an hour away. I don't see any others locally.
    If you can send me the search keys you used or links to the actual teles that you see in my area, that would be great. I will look again. I don't expect you to do all that for me, but you are obviously a better searcher than I am.

2. Stevenk734

Stevenk734 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Bwanab,

Feel free to PM me at stevenk734@aol.com

Would like to know where you reside, in the commonwealth.
    If you have any specific axes you've seen or can aim me towards sone and don't want to bore the group, feel free.
    Sk

3. Stevenk734

Stevenk734 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Bwanab,
    I'm looking on reverb and can't find anything in Massachusetts. The only filter I found got me to the US.if there is some kind of filter or trick you used to limit teles in mass or rhode island or something, please clue me in.
    Thx

4. Bwanab

Bwanab TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Somerville
    Reverb doesn't make geographic searches easy sadly.

Bedford NH: https://reverb.com/item/6708755-fender-52-reissue-telecaster-mij-1995-cream

That's the only one I find now. Last week there was one in Providence and another in Northhampton. Of course, I had really specific criteria: maple neck, single coils, through the body stringing. There may be others if you have a wider spectrum.

5. Stevenk734

Stevenk734 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Bwanab,

Thanks for looking out for me.
    I did find all those listings on my own. The problem is distance. There are two possibilities in the providence area, but they haven't even written back. They are also about an hour fifteen each way, so we will see. One was a 69s Baja, the other I forget, at the moment.They're also on the Rhode Island Craigslist.
    The one in NH is 90 minutes away, that looks nice, so I am keeping an eye out. Frankly, it's drag driving a total of 3 hrs plus visit time, if one doesn't end up liking the axe, but I really appreciate the effort. I did find a really nice fellow in Lexington, with a classic 60s for 550, who will bring it to me. I decided not to buy until I'm sell my Baja, so as not the waste his time or mine. So, that might work out. I turned down an offer on the Baja.was kinda low and the buyer must've been some kind of speculator. Didn't even want to see it, just take it. When he wouldn't come up a few bucks, I just didn't like the deal. It's a great guitar at a very good price, so it'll sell.
    Anyway, since I have you advising me a bit, do you have any feelings about either a smmex standard or s classic 50s. I'm going to check out a used but new looking MIM, asking 425 with a tweed case.
    The classic 59s guy was asking 6, but told me he'd do 550. My tech is funny. He just said that I should get the cheaest tele whose sound I liked and not to worry about the neck, action, etc. he's tiss tge beck, if he didn't like it and put one together for me.
    Si, I see these 60s fully loaded bodies from stratosphere for 399(maybe negotiable, idk)
    Why not just buy one of those and have him do his neck thing. So, that's a lot of verbiage to consume.
    In summary, I guess I'm asking what you think of a standard MIM, a classic 50s, and a classic 60s, tone wise.
    If I try out the 50s and the neck Is too thick, I'd just get a loaded body and have my tech add a neck. Sounds like the 60s have better pups.
    Might sell the Baja today, so any of your thoughts would be appreciated. The hardest part is not buying until I sell. I tend to do that and become a guitar store. Anyway, thank you.

6. Stevenk734

Stevenk734 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Again, sorry about the typos.
    Btw, the Northampton one us 2.5 hours away, so it gets difficult.

7. Stevenk734

Stevenk734 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    There's also a squirt less than an hour away, but I think 350 firm is just too much.

8. Bwanab

Bwanab TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Somerville
    If it’s an 80s MIJ Squier in good shape it’s a bargain. Those things were built to USA specs.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Guys,this is a thread about the

8502-American Ash Telecaster Club......

not a "help me find a good used tele" thread.....

there are PMs for private discussion....

10. Stevenk734

Stevenk734 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Sorry about that. I'll start a PM conversation

11. Bwanab

Bwanab TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Somerville
    Sorry, as you see by my join date, I'm new here. We'll take if offline.

Here's my application to the club.

IMG_0177.jpg

jim_pridx and Nick Fanis like this.
  12. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    As good as mine is, I may be offering for sale soon. I got an incredible Gibson 63RI ES-335 Memphis that could knock it off my "one electric" pedestal.

13. seratone

seratone TDPRI Member

May 16, 2011
    Toronto
    I'm proud to say I'm now a member of the 8502 club! I found this little beauty on local classifieds new years Eve. It's got a SD Hot Rails in the Bridge - and a 'Hot for Tele' in the Neck. The Bridge p/u has a coil splitter. It has a lot of scuffs where the poly has been bashed off the bottom.

This is not only the best Tele I have played, possibly the best 'guitar' I have ever played.

The previous owner was a real player - super nice guy - his set up was incredible. I asked him which strings he used to I could retain it. (Fender Bullet 10-46) I got it for his asking $750 CAN ($596 USD ). 8502 Telecaster.jpg

rittercu likes this.
  14. merseysteve

merseysteve TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Liverpool, UK
    My 2007 8502 to join the club. One of the last manufactured maybe? It's in mint condition. If there is such a thing as a perfect guitar, this is it. I'm now on a quest to get another 8502 in the sunburst finish. A non-guitarist would ask why. But I know you won't. P8220003.JPG

jim_pridx and rebelwoclue like this.
  15. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 10, 2004
    Melvis, TN.
    I have a set of 8502 pickups and parts for a build. Years ago I had an 8502 and foolishly sold it. I really liked the neck pickup, but was not that fond of the bridge. Its been 5+ year since I sold the guitar so I really don't have a reference point any more. Anyhow how do you like the bridge pickup on your 8502? Have you swapped it out or kept it in there?

16. merseysteve

merseysteve TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Liverpool, UK
    I've kept both bridge and neck pickups in my 8502. I really like them. Plenty of attack and can be piercing, if you want, but maybe the bridge isn't as twangy as some may want from a telecaster. The neck pickup can be bluesy and moody. Both pickups together is a well-balanced rhythm sound. Tone control creates colouring for all settings. The pickups set the 8502 apart from my other teles (as well as the neck and everything else, lol). Good luck with the re-build.

17. rittercu

rittercu TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Guelph, ON
    Found a 2005 8502 local, Best Tele I have played. Such a great guitar.
    Thanks to everyone in the forum for all the great information. I was able to make a very informed purchase.
    04568975-513E-4890-8E3C-26343B3E0359.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    merseysteve and jim_pridx like this.
  18. rittercu

rittercu TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Guelph, ON
    I quite like the bite of the bridge pickup, it’s definitely a change from my other tele’s. Great with some overdrive and good attack on cleans as well.

19. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    Congrats! Nice score, gents!

rittercu likes this.
  20. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 10, 2004
    Melvis, TN.
    I am going to install it and give it a try, maybe it just needed some adjustment. That was back in my I have to mod everything phase. I hope I have outgrown it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.