Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

8502-American Ash Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by telemon1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC
    Thanks for the Alnico 3 tip. I wonder if the CS Texas specials are close...or even the 64 vintage pu's. Are the original ones "hot?" What the output like?

2. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    Well, for what it's worth, I just took a couple of resistance readings off of my 8502, and the neck measures out at 7.2K ohms while the bridge measures out at 7.1K ohms. Of course, this is with the pickups installed, and I tend to think the readings are just a tad higher when they're measured uninstalled.

That said, they're a little hotter than a lower-wind set, but certainly not as hot as some Tele pickups out there. It would think that it would be difficult to recommend a similar set when considering that the Modern-Vintage pickups sort of did their own thing. I don't find them quite as twangy and bright as most Fender pickups (the steel bridge may have something to do with that), and they have sort of a "robust" or "rounded" flavor that I just haven't heard from many Tele pickups. Most 8502 owners like it that way.

Now, if I were looking to replace the noiseless pickups for something somewhat similar to the Modern-Vintage, I'd probably look at a few aftermarket brands. One set that I've always been interested in is the ECT-52 set made by Electric City Pickups. I've tried their Strat pickups and really like them, but I would definitely look for something with similar resistance measurements along with alnico 3 magnets.

3. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    So, I got around to "checking for dragons," and wouldn't you know, there it is......peeking over the manufacturer's sticker:

[​IMG]

I never had any idea that these dragon stamps existed.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

4. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU
    Cool!!
    Thank You for sharing that, this dragon business has had me intrigued for some time, and my guess is that it may have been used to distinguish the 8502 necks from others, just a hunch mind you.
    I have an 8402 from the 8502 period but the neck is that tight in the pocket, I'm too chicken to get the neck out of the pocket, to check it.

5. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU

6. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC

7. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU
    The headstock and fingerboard look satin, but the back of the neck looks glossy!!

8. Stevenk734

Stevenk734 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Question for all.
    I checked out a nice, used, but in Perfect cosmetic shape, probable 2005 blonde 8502.
    Plays so smooth. Anyway, I r ad about the value if it's having a magnetic steel bridge. By magnetic c, does that mean that I need a magnet that see if it sticks to it or repels it. I know this is a dump question, but how would I tell. Seller is asking 1k. I'll deal with that.
    Any other obvious things to look for. I mistakenly bought a used Baja, which I'm selling. It's a beauty, but the neck is too chunky for my small hands and wrists.
    Thanks in advance. I really liked this guitar

9. Stevenk734

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017

10. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You asked for help. Check out Toronto kijiji. No affiliation to the seller.

11. Bwanab

Bwanab TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Somerville
    So, did you buy it?

12. Stevenk734

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    No. I played it, really loved the tone, but the action was high and the truss rod had been fully tightened already, so I passed. I really liked it, but with a pretty chunky neck, once I couldn't adjust the neck, it was , unfortunately, a no go. I'm really struggling to find a decent used tele. I played a new pro and felt that it had no identity. I have small hands and these chunky reissues are just not my profile. My tech just st wants me to find a cheap one whose dound I like and he will just toss the neck and put one together for me. I'm cool ndidering buying a fully loaded Reissue body for 300 or so and have no him add a thin pro file neck on for me. Any thoughts, ideas, please share. I'm struggling here.
    I bought a 50s Baja used, but am reselling it for the same reason, neck too chunky. Great guitar. I loved the tone on the 8502. Really loved its overall vibe. But for 1k, I was not going to put snotger 3-500 into a neck. Oh well.
    Comments welcome!!'n

13. Stevenk734

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Sorry about all the typos.i hope it's readable

14. Bwanab

Bwanab TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Somerville
    Some of the mid eighties MIJ Teles have smaller than normal necks. They’re getting popular so the prices aren’t cheap, but they can be really nice instruments.

15. Stevenk734

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Funny you should say that.
    I have an MIJ strat that I love.
    Problem is, at least in my area, there just aren't any Japanese teles around at all!!!!! You're probably on the west coast. No MIJs around Boston.
    It's a total drag. I don't like buying guitars online, so I'm not going to do the reverb.com thing to buy anything, unless the seller was local. Thanks for the idea.
    What s journey!

16. Stevenk734

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Bwanab,
    If you see something out there, feel free to send a shout out.

17. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    An American Special is very close to this model with the 3 saddle bridge and choice of wood being IMHO the big difference. In my opinion the 3 saddle bridge of the Am Special gives a great vintage vibe.

18. Stevenk734

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    How's the neck on the American special? Is it Jesus chunky than a Baja?

19. Stevenk734

Sep 29, 2017
    Boston
    Sorry. Less chunky, not Jesus chunky

20. Bwanab

Bwanab TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Somerville
    I'm in your locale. You should look on Reverb. There are several within a one hour drive that are listed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.