Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

8502-American Ash Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by telemon1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 2, 2008
    Central Calif Coast
    I'm back, first off, love the guitar even though she is a bit heavier (physical therapy, lol) than the rest in my small herd, the fit and feel are among the best. The attack and sustain from the ash is somewhat different than the alder I'm used too, it's something to be learned and can be managed.

I could not get behind the pickups though, too dang shrill for me. I tried some fender OV's, better, just still not really grabbing me.

I wish that I had read this last page of this thread before now, I had some Keystone's to install and when I removed the bridge, along came a nickel sized piece of poly, wtf? I got over that, it wasn't going to affect the play-ability, I wish that I had taken a picture of it now that I have seen Circuit Doctors post, is this common?

My initial thoughts were "that it's time for a refin", but then I'm thinking that I spent way too much $$ on this 8502 to change it from the original.
    Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking to let the sleeping dog lay.

On the other hand, the Keystones came through yet again, (I do love these pickups) for me, they just trip my trigger and them some.
    My 8502 is not going to be sitting in the case for weeks on end anymore. although I may need to find a bit wider strap, lol....

The 8502 really is a fantastic telecaster,

2. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    Ironic that you don't like the pickups - that was one of the big selling points for most 8502 owners!

blujaz1 likes this.

3. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU
    untitled.png Hi Folks,
    Heres my Application, I hope it satisfies the Membership Criteria.
    A sweet 2006 8502.
    Such a great playing sounding Guitar.
    Pete

TeleFunk Man, jim_pridx and Anode100 like this.

4. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU
    Hi to All 8502 Owners,
    For me It is a great privilege to own one of these great guitars.
    I have a question.
    Could this model be the Dragon Tele.??

Has anyone seen or heard any discussion anywhere regarding the Dragon Ink Stamp that is on the underside of the neck of these guitars.
    See the attached pik, I found this little fella under the adhesive label on the guitar neck of my 2006, where the neck bolts into the body cavity/neck pocket..
    The photo in my Avatar is on the neck of a 2004.
    I have seen the Dragon stamp on 2003 and 2007 as well, can't say about 2005, which makes me think that these could be on all 8502's -MAYBE????.
    Is it a feature that is common to all 8502 Tele's, perhaps another feature that identifies an 8502.
    Would love to hear from other owners who have found him, or not
    Possibly a way of distinguishing which necks were to be 8502 necks??, or maybe made by a particular person.
    I dont know, just questions that spring to mind.
    Has anyone seen the stamp on any other Fender neck??
    Thanks for listening/reading my post.
    Pete

Attached Files:

5. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU
    Hey people.
    Coming up for the 8th Birthday of the 8502 Club, on October 16. telemon1 got the ball rolling way back then.
    Thanks to telemon1.!!!!:)
    I didn't know what an 8502 was until I found this Club some time ago.
    So would this not be an ideal time to celebrate the 8502, to get em out of their cases, take em apart, check for dragons, put em back together, clean em up, new strings, truss, lube, intonation then riffage etc etc
    whachasay

TeleFunk Man likes this.

6. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Never heard about the dragon stamp, next time I restring my 2004 I will take a look. In meantime, here she is:

IMG_1145.JPG

2tsashtele likes this.

7. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU
    Ahh, beautiful guitar there TeleFunk Man, cool Fender combination with the Bandmaster Rev,
    Heres my rig. couple sweet blondes IMG_3743.JPG

TeleFunk Man likes this.

8. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    Hey 2tsashtele! Welcome to the 8502 club! It looks as though you have a nice one! Pretty cool guitars, aren't they?

Here's mine! Of course, it's been modded a bit with a middle pickup installed and a different pickguard, but everything else is stock.

[​IMG]

I have to admit that I've never seen the dragon stamp on any of the 8502s I've owned, but that isn't to say that it isn't there. If it is, I just didn't take notice of it. I'll take mine apart one of these days when I have a little more time to get at it.

2tsashtele likes this.

9. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

The white cloth around the bobbin is a dead giveaway. Nice!!!

10. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU

11. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, it's an '06, and I've had this one for almost eight years now. Since the middle pickup cavity was already pre-routed in these guitars, I thought I'd try an alnico 3 Strat pickup that's wound to similar specs of the stock pickups. It really made the guitar quite versatile, not that it wasn't already.

12. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU

Hey,
    Thank You for the welcome., whoa man, i been gassing hard and long for a Redplate Blackline, thats the amp that Allen Hinds uses is it not??. I bet thats a great combination, does it take the 8502 well. Don't see those amps around second hand in the Downunder, or new for that matter, and very expensive new, Allen Hinds could get TONE out of a fence paling.
    YEAH, Please let us know if you find the little fella hiding in there,
    Pete

13. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU
    Thats a cool mod for a Tele, so did you just add the pickup and a five way switch??
    Its very versatile to have the Stratty tones on a Tele!!

14. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, I actually put a 5-way super switch in the 8502. Positions 1, 3, and 5 are wired like a standard Tele while positions 2 and 4 are the typical Strat-style in between settings. It works pretty well. To be honest, though, I've only had the RP Blackline for two days, and I have yet to run the 8502 into it. My other Tele sounds great with it, so I can't imagine that the 8502 wouldn't sound good. And yes.....the Blackline is the amp that Allen Hinds is using these days. They're great amps! The Blackline is especially kind to single-coil pickups.

2tsashtele likes this.

15. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC

2tsashtele likes this.

16. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC
    Just joined, having just acquired a 2003 Blonde 8502. Will post pix soon...but in the meantime: swooning over this guitar. The original pup's were swapped out for Fender Noiseless. They sound great but I am now obsessed with finding original Modern Vintage ones. Over the years has anyone concluded whether Fender has reintroduced them? What is the closest after market version? As someone said this guitar is great not just because of the PUs...and that is very true.

2tsashtele likes this.

17. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    Congrats on the 8502, and welcome to the club!

Regarding the stock modern-vintage pickups, they're tough to find. I don't believe that Fender ever reproduced them, either. Over the years I think I've seen them available maybe once or twice, but that's about it. For the most part, I don't think that many folks swap them out. It doesn't hurt to keep looking, though.

As far as similar replacements, someone may come along with some suggestions. I do know that they're alnico 3 magnets but, then again, I believe that Fender Nocasters and OVs have A3 magnets as well. Still, they're not quite the same. Best of luck with finding a set!

TheRoman and 2tsashtele like this.

18. 2tsashtele

2tsashtele TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    NSWAU
    Hey Roman,
    Well done on acquiring a 2003, I'm new around here too. thats a shame about the pickups being swapped out, but the 8502 is a wonderful guitar, great neck nice and full, plenty of meat.
    The blond finish over the Ash is something special, I too am swooning.
    I have a 2003 and it came with a non original pickup in the bridge, its a Fender pickup, not sure which one, but it still sounds great.A high quality guitar amongst all Telecasters.
    Looking forward to seeing your 2003 soon.
    Pete
    PS, if you get a chance/ have time, would you do a little Dragon Hunting???:),
    Pete

TheRoman likes this.

19. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC
    8502 tele.jpg

This is the one I just acquired. Perfect shape...but pick ups replaced by previous owner with Fender Vintage Noiseless. All together still a wonderful guitar

2tsashtele likes this.

20. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC

2tsashtele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.