Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

850$$ Which Tele?! Opinions?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LPDR Band, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Baja or a used American Standard (with a hardshell case for that price).

Milspec likes this.

2. colnago

colnago TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    The Great White North
    For just a little bit more you can get an American Special. I really like mine.

hdvades likes this.

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    For me, if you like the chunky neck...the classic 50's baja is the way to go. If not, a used American Standard would be my second choice. They are both excellent telecasters and they both hold good re-sale if you decide that you don't like it.

So, if you are going the route of buying from a vendor with a good return policy, order the baja. Not only is it cheaper, but it is easier to find a used American Std on the used market than the baja.

You really can't go wrong with either one.

4. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    Fender Classic Series Classic Player Baja Telecaster Electric Guitar Black Maple Fingerboard...

$799 at Musiciansfriend.com

It's a 50's style Tele with a lot of versatility and will last you a long while.

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Baja. Just bought one two weeks ago. Couldn't be more impressed. And I'm so picky it's absurd. I'll put it up there against all of the high dollar guitars I've owned, no question.

LPDR Band likes this.

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I would think there is a pretty good chance you can negotiate an American Special for $850.
    And that is the guitar I would pick.

LPDR Band likes this.

7. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    The 60s Baja is terrific... I've got one in sunburst

I really liked the electronics but since I was getting a bender installed in it, I had a regular three way put in (still have the stock one in case I feel like putting it back in) to get more of a traditional Tele sound

It's a real nice guitar and I'm glad I bought it

8. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    American Specials are nice and well made but take heed... you better like gigantic frets

I don't which is why I returned mine and got the Baja instead

LPDR Band likes this.

9. LPDR Band

LPDR Band TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Myrtle Beach
    How did the Baja compare in sound to the American Standard? and what's the fretboard radius for the American standard?

10. DrBlast

DrBlast TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Washington
    On paper, the Nashville tele was perfect for me. They have every single spec I wanted.

Playing a couple of them really surprised me; I didn't like the neck shape at all, and I'm a fan of flatter radius fingerboards. Whatever it was just didn't feel right.

I ended up with a used American deluxe from 1998, which has a similar pickup configuration and plays like a dream.

I'd recommend a used guitar for that price... You can get a great one.

LPDR Band likes this.

11. JohnRobieTheCat

JohnRobieTheCat TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I'm not a pro, and I'm only a recent first-time Tele owner. But I have some fresh impressions, having just (last week) been in the same market as you. I ended up with a MIM Blackout Deluxe Telecaster. I like the neck more than the Standard. I did not like the road worn, although I expected to. It just looked and felt like an uncared-for pawnshop 'loser.' I did very much like the American Professional, as its neck felt clearly a step above the MIMs, even as I liked the MIMs. But, after i had already bought my Blackout (used, for $300), I found a used American (Standard or Special?) at a GC, and I kinda fell for it. I think it was around $800.... I'm 'satisfied' with what I have, but I'm still going to want an American now that I had a brief taste of one. My advice, find a used US.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    LPDR Band likes this.

12. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan
    That would be 9.5 for an Am Std.

LPDR Band likes this.

13. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    Well I played the Special not the Standard, just want to clarify

The Special uses "Texas Special" pickups which are a little on the hot side... I wasn't crazy about them, I thought the Baja had a nicer sound (despite my decision to switch to trad switching on mine)

I'm not sure on the radius off the top of my head... the Baja neck seems slightly fatter... the main difference is the frets ... Specials have giant sitar frets to me

LPDR Band likes this.

14. FilthyTerrible

FilthyTerrible TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Toronto
    Might not be helping here, but you really should consider a MIJ '72 Telecaster Custom.

15. LPDR Band

LPDR Band TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Myrtle Beach
    do you have one? pics !!

16. FilthyTerrible

FilthyTerrible TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Toronto
    I've got the '73. But the MIJ '72 reissue is just as nice and in his price range. Saw one black MIJ for $650 (Canadian) a few months back and almost went for it. Sorry, no pic at the moment.

LPDR Band likes this.

17. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    For the money it's hard to beat the Baja. I play classic rock and blues and my 50s model works really well for that. If you like slightly bigger necks and the stripped down look then a used Cabronita might work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.