Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

850$$ Which Tele?! Opinions?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LPDR Band, Sep 28, 2017.

1. LPDR Band

LPDR Band TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Myrtle Beach
    New to teles and new to this site as well, I have gathered some great info so far. Anyways - I am looking to get my first tele soon and my price limit is around $850 USD. I play mainly "honky tonk" country, southern rock and classic rock (vague, i know)... Some models that have caught my eye are:

1) Classic Player Baja 60s in Sonic Blue
    2) Nashville Deluxe Tele in Daphne Blue
    3) Special Edition Deluxe Ash in Cherry burst
    4) MiM standard.
    5) Modern Player telecaster

Really leaning towards 1 & 2 - I will mention there are no music stores nearby :( Can i get some opinions from the pros? Thanks in advance !!!

TheBadHombre likes this.

2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    No doubt about it.

3. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Virginia
    For that money, I would go used and buy 2. One with a humbucker in the neck and high output bridge. The other with traditionally low output single coils.

You should have about $150 left over to buy dinner until your next gig. :lol:

(I have always wanted a baja)

TheBadHombre and Piggy Stu like this.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I have #1. Great guitar - enough that I sold off my other Teles since it was the only one I gigged.

Piggy Stu and LPDR Band like this.

5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    You should play a 60's Baja and a 50's Baja (Classic Player Baja as opposed to a Classic Player 60's Baja). I understand you are not near a music store - even if you were, they are a bit hard to find.

The 50's has a chunkier neck, and the 60s is more "classic modern Fender".

The Deluxe Ash at 6 bills is a good guitar and a decent value as well. That would be a contender at that price.

Still, the Baja line is wonderful.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +1 Yup. It would be worth traveling to try out both Baja teles, but that is where it's at in that price range.

Milspec, Piggy Stu and LPDR Band like this.

7. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Another vote for the Baja.

Piggy Stu and LPDR Band like this.

8. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    For that money, I'd also consider a used '69, '72 or '72 Thinline reissue. That's assuming you like a 7.25" radius neck.

9. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Another vote for the 50s Baja. Its neck was a real eye opener to me. Now I'm addicted.

LPDR Band likes this.

10. LPDR Band

LPDR Band TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Myrtle Beach
    Sounds like I need to try out the 50's Baja. Haven't really considered that until now, and haven't played on a 7.25" radius neck in a minute! Will definitely try to play both the 50s and 60s, but sounds like the Baja line is very propular here!

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Nashville Deluxe series? I see it has the 12" radius with noiseless pickups

11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    minority report: never played a baja, though I know they have a great reputation here. I picked up an american standard tele brand-spanking-new with a case for not a lot more than that $850 -- $869 to be exact, with a nice case. Killer guitar, pro everything, ready to go on any stage right out of the box. that deal is long gone but I bet you could find a used one in that price range.

Ex-riverman and LPDR Band like this.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Maybe you have your heart set a new Tele, and that's ok, but value wise, it's hard to beat used.

I noticed on the Myrtle Beach craig'slist two teles -

https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/msg/d/fender-telecaster-deluxe/6305255661.html

at $500 offered, might be worth looking at - or

https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/msg/d/fender-telecaster/6251513218.html

American made, right at your budget;

sometimes you meet some excellent folks who happen to be selling a telecaster on CL. You are under no obligation to buy; and you can explain that you are just starting your exploration process.

these were just the two in your immediate area; with a little more searching, looks like there's a lot more of them to at least think about.

the more you play, the more you figure out what you like best.

LPDR Band likes this.

13. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    'Noiseless' pickups are nice and 'noiseless' when you're not playing but 'most people' feel they:re also not quite the real deal for Tele-type twang.

The bridge on the Nashville is also a six barrel. Also not seen as the ultimate option for twang.

OTOH many people have and love them and the Strat middle pickup makes them versatile.

LPDR Band likes this.

14. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Gotta play em. It's subjective and only you will know. My opinion is just that, mine. But...

For that money, for Honky Tonk, Southern Rock and Classic Rock, I would look at one of the newer 50s Road Worn Teles. They have much less "relicing" than the older ones. I shopped them all for Blues/Blues Rock/Classic Rock and that's the one I ended up with. It's a basic vintage-style Tele with 3 way switching. I don't care for the S1 sounds at all so those just get in the way for me. The pickups are a little hotter than traditional and drive my amps in a really good way. I get a surprising number of tone compliments with this guitar. It's my favorite neck on any of them. I love the sanded down finish that never gets sticky when I get sweaty, and I like the tall frets. I am NOT into the relic thing, but this guitar just works. I like it so much I'm even starting to like the way it looks. Whatever model you choose, play as many as you can. A couple of the 50s RWs I tried left me cold (setup issues for the most part), but the one I walked out with just spoke to me from the minute I picked it up.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    LPDR Band likes this.

15. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    ^^^What he said^^^

You have to try them. I bought a 50s Baja based on stellar reviews here. Found out it didn't work for me, especially the neck. Didn't care for the S1 and it was heavy. Strike one, strike two, and strike three. Out!

LPDR Band likes this.

16. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I am an American standard/series man myself. I've played a Baja and it didn't blow my skirt up. Apologies to the many faithful. Play as many as you can, but if you can't I'd put my money on a used American. Very good quality and consistent.

Ex-riverman likes this.

17. LPDR Band

LPDR Band TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Myrtle Beach
    Thanks for the advice so far fellas. Makes sense that I need to try it before buying one. Will probably make the trip this weekend

Chicago Matt likes this.

18. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    A lot of vendors will ship it to you with a return where you might have to pay shipping one way. Worth it to try.

19. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

PLEASE FULFILL MY FANTASY FOR ME AND GET A 50s BAJA! BEST NECK AND IT HAS THE 4TH POSITION PUTS PICKUPS IN SERIES SO ITS JUST LIKE A HUMBUCKER!

20. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I'd buy used on craigslist if you feel comfortable and be on the look out for american standard at those prices

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.