Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

'78 Fender Vibro Champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cazualwhiteguy, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just picked this 1978 Vibro Champ up, looks great for being 40 years old. Haven't opened her up yet to take a look at the guts to see what's original and what not but I payed player grade money for it so I don't care much either way. Seller had it checked out by a reputable local amp tech so I'm gonna roll with it.

I love amp history, anyone know some classic albums/songs recorded with a silverface Vibro Champ?

Gonna spend the next couple hours getting to know each other :)

Attached Files:

2. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Looks like it just rolled off the line.

Cazualwhiteguy likes this.

3. pirate19

pirate19 TDPRI Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Chicago
    Great looking amp! I have a 73 Champ with a 10" Weber (and a 77 Musicmaster Bass amp). Love Silverfaces!

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    All of Layla was recorded by El Clapola and Duane Allman on a Blackface Princeton and Vibrochamp.

5. Cazualwhiteguy

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Had always heard Layla was a champ but just figured tweed since my 5F1 just nails that tone with a strat.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    LuthRavin and dallasblues like this.

6. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Mission Viejo, California
    Congrats! I got a beat up one years ago. I cleaned up my 78 VC and put all JJ tubes in it. I still have all the OEM tubes except for the 6V6. I also put a Jensen P8R ALNICO magnet speaker in it. That alone made it sound outstanding. In the future I may try a TAD 6V6. Right now I'm running JJs.

7. Cazualwhiteguy

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Honestly I haven't even looked what's in mine right now, it sounded nice so I just rolled with it. Maybe we'll open it up this weekend and have a peek.

8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I know you said a tech checked it out, but I would suggest making sure the old cap can was updated or changed out.

9. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    I’m reluctant to disagree, Dacious. You know way more about this stuff than I do. And you do hear sometimes it was a silver Champ or VibroChamp. In any case it likely can’t be settled and may be less important than the Coke v. Pepsi thing.

But I’ve looked into this some, and interviews both with the local studio guy and with Tom Dowd say 'tweed' Champ. Here's one.

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/remedy/producer.html

Still leaves it up in the air exactly what kinda Princeton it was, huh?

Now OTOH I’ve seen very credible info that in the early 70s Harrison used 'silver Champs' at the concerts for Bangla Desh and they got to be a big deal for a while so that Keef used 'em on some recordings — forget which..

10. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah. I've always heard it was a tweed Champ Clapton used on that recording.

11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    It's attributed bothways. I've owned the EC Vibrochamp (great sound disappointing build quality) and two SF Champs - 68 and 78.

At low volumes you can tell a difference. Before breakup the two Silverface Champs could be almost any Fender clean except maybe a Bassman. The 5F1 sounds a little tetchier at low volumes (no or less NFL is my guess plus straight cone speaker).

Wound up - they start to sound more like each other. I had a Weber alnico Sig in the 78 which I sold to get the EC. Pretty similar cranked - the EC was just a little squakier. The 68 was a bit smoother through its original Jensen than I recall either of the others.

So it could be either, coupled with recording process and overdubbing, boosts etc it's hard to know. There's certainly bits that sound Princeton-ish (I had a 78 SFPR) and bits that sound Champ-like on that record.

King Fan likes this.

12. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

May 2, 2010
    Illinois
    I have one too!

My amp tech put a 6L6 in mine, and I absolutely love it.

13. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    Chicago Ill
    I put a Eminence 820H speaker in my ‘79 Vibro Champ. It’s a hemp cones speaker like a smaller version of the Cannabis Rex. It’s very efficient and an stay clean almost all the way up the dial. It made a huge difference to me and I love it. But if you are looking for some break up, it might not be such a good choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.