Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

73 Tele Notch photo..

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 73Fender, Jul 8, 2013.

1. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    I came across an older thread with a good picture of the notches from several years. Ole Fuzzy posted it I believe. I noticed it was missing a 73 so here's mine for anyone interested.
    [​IMG]
    and my 73:
    [​IMG]

2. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I've posted 0le FUZZY's picture a couple of times myself. Your '73 fills in a gap - nice! :cool:

3. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Great, thanks, notch is disappearing progressively from 1972, there's some notch left in 73, (and even half notches like this one), and is completely gone in 1974. That's why this forum is about pre-74.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. meff

meff TDPRI Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Beautiful Montreal
    After weeks of reading through this forum, I finally understand what this infamous notch thing you guys are always talking about is, thanks!

6. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    almost notching

Wow that must be a revelation! Welcome in the notch world! That is just a detail, but not as small as it appear. When you face to a typical 70's telly with no notch, the small pick of the body wood joins the neck higher (more or less 16th fret instead of 17th), which makes it as high or even slightly higher than the shoulder where the strap button is. When you focus on it, this simple detail changes something to this out of time beautiful design. It's slightly less balanced and less gracious if you see what I mean, and that is just for a tooling reason… a good symbol of what the 70's mean in the history of Telecaster's building. :p

7. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 29, 2005
    ireland
    Great example of the last of the transition notc hes

8. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    Ha, I also only recently joined the ranks of the notch enlightened. Had me scratching my head not too long ago. Should I be crestfallen that I am notch challenged as I my 73 has only half a notch? It is an awesome player though and that should mean something. One day I'll pull the neck to take some pictures. Think it has a Torres stamp in it.

Here's the story of how I got it. Back around 73 or so a high school friend who was an artistic type had this Tele but no amp. He wasn't a guitar player in any sense of the word. He wanted to make weird noises and such.

I offered a trade of some no name, two 12" combo SS amp I wasn't using and a not so great Harmony guitar for this Tele. Deal done, he was happy to be able to make great loud noises and I discovered the joys of my first Tele. I was partial to Strats and had a 73 and then a 59 Strat back then and I wasn't fond of the Tele headstock at first but I quickly discovered how well the Tele could cut through the mud of a teen age garage band.

Heard from my old friend recently, he is no longer happy with the trade.

9. Anjo

Anjo TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Stockholm
    The notch can be found as late as 1975. Mine March -75 Telecaster Custom has it...

10. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Never heard of that ... Do we have to rewrite Telecaster history?;)

But seriously, as far as I know the Telecaster Custom has always had the revamped body since the introduction in 1972 ... ? Meaning no notch.

This picture is one of a few that clearly shows no notch:

[​IMG]

Can you please document your statement with a picture? I'm sure the Major would like to have one for his archive.

11. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Thank you Telemarkman, it's true I really would like to see this one, even if actually, I do not archive Custom, Deluxe or Thinline. In fact, I've been very surprised once to see one example of Custom with notch, but it was from 1972. On the contrary, all the modern reissues have notch, as far as I know, they didn't reproduce no notch bodies.

12. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'm so glad they didn't.

13. Freewheeler

Mar 17, 2003
    Helsinki, Finland
    Definitely a notch on this 1974 one:

[​IMG]

14. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Absolutely!

If that is actually an authentic '74 body - and I have to believe you - it's quite uncommon to say the least (or isn't it?). You learn something new all the time on this forum!:cool:

15. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Here's the notch on my '73/'74 Custom. I bought it used in '76.

[​IMG]

16. Anjo

Anjo TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Stockholm

image-3936654277.jpg

image-1792476998.jpg

Here she is...

17. Freewheeler

Mar 17, 2003
    Helsinki, Finland
    That Custom was made earliest in late 1976, the serial number is under the logo. No Teles had the notch by then. Also notice the Strat like knobs, not the original "amp" knobs. That makes it late 70's too.

Dang! Now I noticed it's a 1980, it says so in the pic title :) But I was kinda right anyway.

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you click on the image bar, the title for that photo is actually...

...vintage-guitars.se1980_Fender_Telecaster_Custom_S816706.jpg

Of course, the Custom was still in production as late as early '81.

19. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Thank you for the enlightening pics guys - always nice to learn something new.:)

And I didn't mean to misrepresent that 1980's Custom as a 1975. It was just meant as an illustration of a typical no notch Tele custom - which I thought they all were.:oops:

20. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Very interesting, I'm really surprised too. So that concerns Telecaster Custom, I wonder if we'd find the same examples for Deluxe and Thinline of the same epoc... (I would have been certain that we won't, but I'm not sure anymore about anything now!)

21. TeleMeMore

TeleMeMore TDPRI Member

May 30, 2013
    Did the notch ever come back, besides on the reissues? In other words if a tele has a notch, is it safe to assume that it is either a reissue or pre-74?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.