Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

72 Wiring Route Question

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Hacksaw, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    Alright, more pictures. Although the neck pocket is also gobbed up, and had no marks that I could see, I do believe there are filled dowel holes, really hard to see. Comments and opinions? IMG_8326.JPG IMG_8327.JPG IMG_8328.JPG IMG_8329.JPG IMG_8330.JPG IMG_8331.JPG IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8333.JPG IMG_8334.JPG IMG_8341.JPG

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    Not sure why I couldn't attach the full size images.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    And More

Attached Files:

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    As noted in post #12, this body is not from the '70's. IT is earlier.....sometime in the '60's.

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    Maybe dear old Dad broke the original neck over the head of the dude that fired the .25 at him!

6. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    ^^^^hopefully so. I'll try to make this story short...
    I have an older friend who played professional for quite some time..played a Tele. He said one might a fellow was at the edge of the stage yelling about some song he wanted to hear. Curley was in the middle of the song and trying to ignore the drunk. The idiot thought he would get Curley's attention by slamming his fist hard on the toe of Curley's boot. Without much of a pause, Curley said that he headstock of the Tele took the right ear off of that drunk's head like a sword. The band finished the song...and the night. The drunk left.
    Moral of the story....Tele's will not only take a beating...they will give one, too.

Hacksaw likes this.

7. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    I had a close look the pics of the back of the body and I too cannot detect any dowels. I do not know any better than that if there is a router hump on old bodies, the body also has to have the dowels. The body furthermore does look very authentic to me with the misaligned string ferrules and the router hump and all (although the ferrules should be flush with the body. replacements?). Perhaps some kind of very accurate aftermarket or reissue body?

8. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I believe the pin router holes are there. I believe the upper one is pointed out by Hacksaw in his post #21. Imho, this body is from sometime in the ??mid?? '60's prior to the use of the polyester base coat, which took place in 1968. that polyester base coat is nearly impossible to remove and is better left alone rather than trying to get back to the wood during a refinish.

9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    I believe the second pin router plug is here. I noticed the ferrules too, like that when I got it, possible top-loader conversion? Anyway, I've got to wire in the RS kit and I am thinking about a proper 3 ply white pick guard and then just playing the thing.

Attached Files:

• Back.jpg
      Back.jpg
      File size:
      297.8 KB
      Views:

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    So possibly older?

13. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Or...possibly newer. You have owned it from 1996 until today. Everything before that is unknown.,.despite any stories, which have no provenance. There were replacement bodies available prior to the time that you bought this guitar. I would have no concrete, definitive thoughts unless I had that body in hand....other than I do not think the body and the neck left the Fender factory together....and it is still an 'if' that the body is a Fender body.

14. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    Well, the individual I bought it from worked for me for 8 years, I knew him pretty well. He really had no knowledge other than it was his Dad's old Telecaster. According to him, the older brother was the one who did the work, or possibly had it done.
    When I bought it, I asked for the original parts, but he said they were gone. Broken home, Dad ran off years ago, divorce, raised by his Mother, not a lot of money, same old story.

I started playing in the mid 70's, even had a friend that had a brand new 74ish Stratocaster, with the micro tilt neck. That he added a humbucker to, by chisel, so I've seen the polyurethane under the pick guard. I myself was guilty of adding Schaller tuners, brass bridge and tailpiece to my 74 SG Special, (that I still wish I had!). So I know parts, including bodies, were available.
    It just didn't seem to me that the family was the guitar modding type and I think Ron, (the seller) would have told me, if he knew, it was a parts guitar.

Anyway, I suspect the body is older than 72, and agree that the body and neck weren't born together.
    I have no plans on selling it, and not looking for estimated value, it's just sparked my curiosity.
    I appreciate all the input and opinions, if you're ever in the Northern Virginia area let me know and if I ever venture to Lubbock TX. I'll bring the old thing.
    John

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

15. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than to say the grain on that body is amazing. You don’t find them like that very often. Damn!

Hacksaw likes this.

16. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia

17. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    White guard, I like it.

Attached Files:

CWP0126 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.