Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

72 Thinline vs G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele-Monster, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

Local Cat wants to trade me his ASAT Special (Tribute), for my 72 Thinline. I've played many G&L guitars but never this specific model. How do the MFD pickups compare to P90s? I like the 72 but im a single coil guy, not having the single bridge snap really bugs me. So what say you? Good trade?

2. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

G&L guys like the Tributes - usually change some pickups,hardware,etc.
    Fair trade if you like it - I assume your '72 is a reissue?

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

I see two cons in this deal. The G&L is a Tribute and the lousy F-hole design on all G&L semi-hollows.

The G&L F-hole is something many often don't notice at first. I know I didn't ....... I have two of them. When you compare it to the Fender F-hole you see that it really doesn't look right ....... both design and placement.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I dont really LOVE the Thinline. It plays really well but I can't stand the pickups. Dude is also gonna throw in an MI Tube Zone pedal. Never played one but have heard they are nice. I figure if I don't like it I can flip if for some money, or trade it. Yes my guitar is a reissue. I've really been wanting a P90 guitar and this just might fit the bill.

6. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I've got a 72 Thineline RI. Never played the G&L model you are talking about. But, I had a G&L Tribute Bluesboy. The 72 Thinline killed it. I've got an American G&L Bluesboy, and it kills the 72.

7. Powers

Powers Tele-Meister

I've played the solidbody G&L special - I REALLY dig the pups. I'm not sure how I'd compare them to P90s, though - they can really scream, like P90s can, and I'd say this is the MFD's most desirable trait. However, I love P90s for the smooth, buttery lead lines I can get out of the neck pickup, and I don't think the MFDs do it the same way. I hear them as closer to tele single coils than P90s, especially for their twang.

Here's my favorite demo of an ASAT special, if it helps:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.