Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

72 Thinline body weight (ash)... I want a heavy one...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ruger9, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I like heavier guitars. All my favorite guitars over the years have been heavy. I'll spare you my hypothesis (LOL) but I'm wondering, as to the BODY.... I'm looking for a heavy 72 thinline body (I'll probably buy a Squier body because that's what I'm looking to replace)...but what is "heavy"?

I see them for sale by The Stratosphere, and they range from 3,6 to 4,8. Is 4,8 heavy for a 72 thinline body (made of ash)?

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Squier Vintage Modern once had a Chinese made short scale Thinline made of ash - heavy but beware that body - it is not meant for your stuff if you want a 25.5 scale guitar.

You will find that Ensenada did seem to use some of the heaviest ash they received for Thinline bodies. Folks usually don't want that and thus, a lot of them should show up on Stratosphere. Put in a low bid - don't do the BIN thing because you don't have to.

3. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Um... I have a Squier 72VM thinline... it's 25.5 scale... ?

It's a light guitar overall- WAY lighter than anything I own, I'm looking to replace the body with a heavier one.

My Cabronita Thinline body is pretty heavy. Ash, MIM.

hrstrat57 likes this.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I think the neck and hardware generally come in ~3lbs if memory serves. So you're probably still under 8. Not sure if that is heavy in your book?

GFS sells some SERIOUSLY heavy bodies in their XGP line. I really getting one where the body alone was 7lbs.

5. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    My 3, kick-ass, guitars & their weights:

#1 (solidbody MIA tele) = 8 lb 12oz

Cabronita Thinline (MIM) = 7 lb 6oz

PRS SE Singlecut = 7 lb 14oz

My Squire 72VM Thinline that's featherweight (to me) = 6 lb 8 oz

6. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    I saw a mahogany thinline that weighs 6.9lbs. Perhaps that could be your high mark. But, but, but, the weight of a guitar means nothing tone wise. Please just use your ears. Ive got a light tele that sounds huge and Ive owned a heavy one that sounds like a blanket was thrown over it and I have a mahogany strat that weighs as much as a les paul and sounds amazing. Ive got a 10 lb les paul that is meh and I owned a 9 lb that sounded great. They either sound good and play good, or they are duds.

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Vm Thinline is 4 bolt no? AVRI and MIM Fender 3 bolt.

I'm planning a build. I've researched Warmoth they can make anything you want 3 or 4 bolt.

I've also looked into Saylor Guitars in Oregon who makes quality Thinline bodies to order. Richard best reached via Facebook I believe

8. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Really? No sh1t. What do you think I'm doing? LOL. As I said, I have a hypothesis I'm testing.

BTW, I've been playing 30 years and have owned dozens of guitars.

BTW2... many people, including builders, would disagree with your statement that "the weight of a guitar means nothing tone wise"... Now, whether it's "better" or "worse" is a matter of opinion, but there's little argument to be made that the weight of a guitar does affect tone, as EVERYTHING affects tone... it's a system of parts that makes one whole instrument, so everything matters, at least a little.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

9. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    The VM is a 4-bolt (as is my MIM Cab thinline). As I said, I'm looking at VM bodies, because that's what I'm replacing.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I was referring to another guitar. But I made a mistake, I was talking about a VM Thinline that's the '69 style, not '72 style.

I apologize for my mis-statement.

11. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    I have an ash 72 custom body in sunburst that is HEAVY. PM me if interested.
    Rob

12. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Thanks, but the pickguard doesn't match the std. 72 thinline. (I'd need a new pickguard, new switch, more pots, etc)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.