72 RI with the neck WR/HB....

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MonkeyJefferson, Jan 11, 2019.

1. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I just got one, and I don't hate the neck pickup- however, I can't tell if I'm in love, either. I find it only really blooms when it's turned up, and I don't hear that WR sound I was expecting....

Is it worth updating? Did you do it and find it wasn't worth it? Lookin' for feedback...

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The modern Fender WRHB is nothing like the original Seth Lover Design. The originals have a magic - which is why they're $350-400 secondhand. The originals had the highs of a Tele with the breadth of a PAF and a jangle.

There's people who can do good takes on them - do a search on WRHB. Unfortunately the cunife magnets - copper, nickel, iron - are no longer available. They were a rod with thread bonded to them and screwed in to the baseplate through the bobbins.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Those are nice guitars. There are several winders making very respectable replacements...though some are quite pricy. Have a picture of your tele?

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently acquired a Telecaster Deluxe with the WRHB's. I feel your dilemma.

The bridge pickup(WRHB) isn't bad, fairly acceptable. The neck pickup is pretty lack luster.

There are several sources out there for "upgrades" for the Fenders. To be honest, none of their clips have impressed me much.

Plus, I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money to upgrade a pickup that's so size specific that limits the possibilities. The WRHB having a larger footprint than a standard bucker.

I've been looking at replacing the pickguard with a Warmoth that's cut for a Gibson HB. Then the options would be almost unlimitless. The Warmoth guard runs $30-50. They are quality though.

The bridge would probably need to be "F" spaced. Not sure on the neck pickup? Someone could weigh in on that. On yours you will need an opinion on spacing for the neck pickup.

The Deluxe came with 9's, not my preference, and probably not what I might imagine for a thicker tone from a humbucker guitar. Probably up for debate.

So by the time I buy nut files or go to a luthier to be able to go up in string gauge. A new pickguard and pickups. And while I'm under the hood, knowing me, I may replace some electronics as needed.

I'm not opposed to spending some money to get it the way I want. I'm just not sure I really want to. I might just trade it off for something else. Not sure yet.

If I'm going to have a double HB guitar. Kind of looking at a semi hollow body model. Maybe, I'm in no hurry.

I've rambled on long enough and thrown in my 2 cents worth. Hope you straighten out your situation. Keep us posted.

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

There are guys who rewind your modern WRHB's for about $100 ea, like Brandonwound or Revel. Since the original CuNiFe magnets are for most part unobtainable now, they use other magnet types that can be threaded as polepieces and rebuild the guts of the pickup to the original style and voice the pickup to be close to the original sound. Your only other option is to pay $300-400 for original WRHB's, I think having them rewound to a close approximation of the original is a good idea unless you have money to burn on original ones. The modern Fender WRHB's are really just regular humbucker construction, nothing like the original ones.
    Al

6. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I have a 72 deluxe too- excellent guitar. There is a lot of web lore out there suggesting that you need to upgrade in search of the holy grail original sound. after a lot of thinking about that and with the passage of time and playing mine a lot . I think it's great just as it is. I suggest playing it for a while before "upgrading"!

7. SPUDCASTER

There's nothing "wrong" with the playability of the Deluxe or the Custom I'm sure. That's not my point.

IMHO the current Fender WRHB's just don't meet my expectations of quality buckers. And I have spent some time with it at home and at several gigs. Again, my opinion.

To be honest, I never really liked the sound of the originals back in '72 very much. So I guess I'm not on a search for the grail tone of the original WRHB's. More in search of a better bucker tone.

For me, I'd rather experiment with as many options as possible. Instead of having the current pickups rewound or buying expensive same configuration/size replacements that might not cut it either.

Or just move on and sell or trade it.

8. SPUDCASTER

That neck pickup, according to the service diagram, has a 250k volume pot. You might change that to a 375 or 500k.

I'm probably going to try that when I change strings.

9. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster Tele-Meister

First, congrats on the new Custom :)

On my 72 Custom, I found my neck pickup to be a bit muddy. I may one day pull the trigger on a Creamery or Mojotone replacement, but before then I'll upgrade my volume pot to 500k (stock is 250k) and see what that brings to the table. For now I've found a solution that makes me a bit happier with the neck pickup. While I am not one who plays with the guitar controls maxed, since I like to adjust on the fly and not have to walk over to my amp, I still kept the controls pretty high (at about 8). I've since moved tone controls to 6 as the baseline and then readjusted my amp eq. This gives me a lot more room to color things from the guitar.

Outside of that, I love this guitar and the HS configuration. I've never been a big fan of humbuckers (P90 lover), but I've a new appreciation for buckers when paired with a single coil.

10. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I don't have pics- it's the Purple Sparkle one. The neck is sensational. I'm getting it set up by a pro buddy tomorrow, the neck is quite wicky wacked at the moment and needs attention, but feels great. I love the frets and gloss.

I thought about switching the pots out, thanks for those suggestions- I usually like keeping stuff stock, almost anything I've ever had was stock, save for cosmetic things like knobs and pickguards- but the more I play the neck pickup, the more the word "muddy" definitely comes to mind. It's muddy!

The Seymour Duncan one looks cool- anyone tried that?

Bella_Caster likes this.
  11. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

If you don't care about the original WRHB sound, try the 500k pots on the pickup, if that and pickup adjustments don't work get the pickup rewound to whatever specs you want, they are just regular humbucker construction so you should be able to get them rewound for whatever sound you want.
    Al

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.