Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

72 Reissue Pick-ups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Rialto1564, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

This has probably been covered already, but is anyone aware of worthwhile aftermarket humbuckers for the 72RI? I go for an almost acoustic tone, but less metallic.

I find the stock pick ups a bit muddy on chordal work, and thin melodically, though at the end of the day they're not too bad.

Thanks

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

3. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I believe Fender uses 250k pots for those reissue WRHBs (which are nothing like the originals in design). That's why they're generally considered too muddy. You can cure this by swapping the pots for higher value ones (generally 500k is the choice for humbuckers but there are other values to experiment with).

If you want to make them closer to the original WRHBs Fender produced in the early '70s, Telenator makes a great line of products.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Thanks guys!

I tried the 500k pot swap and while it did brighten things up a bit, it also exaggerated the negative qualities of the pickups.

The new, re-voiced re-issue WRHBs are better than the first version of the re-issues and are much more user friendly. They sound decent with a bit of over-drive, but are still a little cold when played clean.

6. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Catswhisker makes the cheapest one of all and it's never the less a total quality build and they sound fantastic. Much much better than stock, even a lot better then the stocks after i modded them with alnico slug magnets and removed the bar mag. They're around $120-130 shipped depending on whether he has any on ebay of you but them direct from the website. Thats $60 cheaper than the next cheapest one. And of course as was already mentioned, telenator will mod your pickups for cheaper even still at i believe $85 each . I went for the CW because i wanted a whole new pickup vs having mine modded (which i did myself anyways) but if that doesn't matter to you, telenators get great reviews here. Anyways, i just received my 2nd CW after buying one to be sure i like them and i will be installing it tonite. I will update the review i did here a week or 2 ago once i do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.