Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

72 Custom: 250k to 500k neck p/u pot swap

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Cfunky, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Cfunky

Cfunky TDPRI Member

Nov 7, 2017
    US
    Good evening,
    I am a brand new member here and this is my 1st post:)
    I recently aquired an AVRI 72 Custom. It has a himbucker in the neck, a single coil in the bridge and 4 knobs (each pickup has independent volume and tone like Gibson)

I love the feel and playability, but that wide range humbucker sounded like poo. I come to find out they wired it in with 250k pots.
    Anyway, I replaced the WRH with a Duncan Phat Cat and I replaced the 250k neck pots with 500k.
    So now I have a beautiful sounding phat cat in the neck that is wired to 500k pots like its supposed to be, and the bridge single coil is still wired to it's original 250k pots.

The problem I am having is that the bridge single coil seems to sound much brighter after the neck 500k pot swap...which I didnt expect since I didnt touch the 250k pots. Everything is wired exactly the same as factory, just 500k pots for the neck pickup only.
    What am I missing guys? Do all the pots somehow affect each other in these four knob teles?
    Thank you in advance:)

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    When the pickup switch is set to bridge-only, the pots for the neck pickup should not be affecting it at all. As far as I can tell, there are two possibilities:

1-The bridge pickup isn't really brighter, and your ears are playing tricks on you.

2-You didn't wire it the way you think you did, so you've inadvertently caused the problem.

Retrace your connections with a multimeter to be sure everything is hooked up right.

Also, welcome to the TDPRI! :)

3. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Welcome.

I'll also wager your old faux WRHB would have sound better with the 500k pots.

Curious to find out what's going on in there.

4. Cfunky

Cfunky TDPRI Member

Nov 7, 2017
    US
    Thanks for the reply!
    I suspect your 1st assumption is correct. That phat cat likely just has so much more oomph that it is making the bridge sound thin and weak in comparison.
    However, If someone told me that you cannot wire 500k pots in with the 250k pots without affecting the bridge p/u because of some funky way Fender does their wiring, then I know I done effed up, LOL... but that doesnt seem to be the problem here. I was meticulous in keeping the wiring perfect.
    Jeez, maybe I should just put in another bridge pickup now that I hear what a real quality pickup sounds like.

5. Cfunky

Cfunky TDPRI Member

Nov 7, 2017
    US
    I am sure it would have sounded a lot better. I doubt it would sound as great as the phat cat that I put in, but it would definitely be better.
    Any idea what Fender's reasoning was for using 250k pots instead of 500k with that WRHB? Were they purposely trying to make their guitar sound like poo?
    There was no setting on any of my high end amps that could make that thing sound good.

bender66 likes this.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Try single sized hot rail humbucker!

Cfunky likes this.

7. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Cost I suppose.

I've used the traditional tele wiring with a HB/SC & resistor before but not sure how that AVRI wiring works in the middle position with the separate control knobs for each. 1 of those pickups is getting the raw end.

8. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Jul 9, 2007
    fox lake, il
    I've got a Fender Japan 72 Custom RI. It came stock with 250s on the bridge PU and 500s on the neck Wide Range. I never had that problem with either the stock neck PU in there or the Mojotone one I have now. The bridge pickup, pots and caps are all stock.

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I used a combination of a 500k vol pot paired with a no-load 250k tone pot with a 47 cap. It works nice with my overwound neck + single sized rail humbuckers. She roars at the no load setting! Sounds bluesy at 250k and less on the tone setting. It fit me coz I play hard rock.

10. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    The reissue WRHB that came in your guitar was never going o sound very good in comparison to the Phat Cat, or any other good pickup, for that matter. The originals are on the bright side, so a 250k pot wasn't a problem.

The bridge pickup you have isn't that great either, but is less bad than that WRHB was. If brightness is an issue, the Donahue pickup is a good match with the Phat Cat. If you want something with the same kind of bite and attitude as the Phat Cat, the Broadcaster is a good one.

11. Cfunky

Cfunky TDPRI Member

Nov 7, 2017
    US
    Thanks for the recommendation!!! I just installed a new Donahue in the bridge, and yeah, its better....way better. Sounds a ton better in the middle position too. The output is a tad less than the phat cat, but it seems to not be an issue with the how well the Donahue cuts.
    So yeah, the original issue I was having was simply a case of having a great pickup paired with a not so great pickup.
    Its funny, because before I installed the Phat Cat, I actually kinda liked the stock bridge. But then compared to a real pickup, it just sounded like poo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.