Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

7189's instead of El84's?????

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by mattydaddy1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mattydaddy1

mattydaddy1 TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Saint Louis
    Hey guys I have a Orange AD30TC Combo that runs a quad of El84's. I'm needing a tube change here, starting to get micro-phonic. I have read that many people's AD30's like Vox AC30's run their El84's Hot and Hard...mmmm...to get that great classic British crunchberries. I know that these amp "eat" these tubes when ran cranked as they should be. I have read that the 7189 (NOT 7189A's) have all the same specs except the max plate voltage is 400 instead of the El's 300. I know the all around quality is supposed to be beefier too. Wondering if any one has substituted these and what it did? I know a lot of times the "premium" tubes that have less distortion used in Hifi are horrible for Guitar Amplifier use. I'm just trying to extend the life. I'm looking to stay under $100 for the quad so the NOS El84's are pretty much out. Thanks guys.

2. vanr

vanr Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2003
    AZ

3. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    ..."Try a quad of Sovtek EL84M's. Tough as nails."...

i agree entirely. these are also said to be nearly hi-fi grade tubes that don't play well with some guitar amp circuits. on the other hand, telefunken 84's are one of THE choice valves for tube hi-fi amplifiers.

i like them very much in a winfield 18/30 head. maybe you will also. (?)

tube depot's review of the 84M (russian JAN)...

below from:

http://www.tubedepot.com/el84reviews.html

Sovtek EL84M - The Sovtek EL84M is a Russian military tube that has been ruggedized and sounds like it. It is a bit sterile sounding for guitar, but in Hi-Fi this tube sings. This tube is used in a lot of Matchless designs as it has a perfect sound for the Matchless point-to-point circuit. The Sovtek EL84M is not as warm as the Sovtek EL84, but it does have a bit more power and that is evident when we switched to overdrive on our combo amp. Really a great tube for Hi-Fi. It can be used in guitar applications if you like a strong clean tone.

mitchfit

4. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Im fond of Saratovs, they have lasted years without issues in my little single ended amps, which aren't easy on tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.