Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

70s traynor 4x12?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TeleShredder, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:51 AM.

1. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    Got a new 4x12 today anyone able to tell me anything about it? Can't find much information online.
    It's a ysc-4.
    Like how many ohms is it? I think 16 not sure.
    And does it matter that input I use on the back of the cab
    1502517090835.jpg

2. TeleShredder

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    There is just two unlabelled I out on the back no switchs. Just the two inputs.

3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    The extra jack is "probably"
    for Daisy chaining another cab to it.

An inexpensive multi-meter is handy to have for checking impedance. If I am at all unsure about a speaker or cab, I check it.

4x12 cabs tend to be 8 Ohms, with 4, 8 Ohm speakers wired in parallel/series for an eight Ohm overall load.

Those are Canadian made though, right? Who knows what those crazy Canuks might have done in there. It's probably a metric cab, and so is totally unusable in the states. ;)

Have you opened it up to see what drivers are in that bad boy eh?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2015
    Canada
    I have the 2 x 12" version. Even the cheapest Canadian Tire meter on sale will be handy for checking cabinet impedance, unless you want to spend a Sunday afternoon taking out 912 back panel screws. And even after all that work, the speakers are probably original Marsland with a weird code stamped on them, so you still won't be 101% sure what you have just using your eyes.
    Going back to the 'Marsland' part, if you want the cabinet to really 'rock', change the speakers. Traynor and Garnet used Marsland back in the day. They aren't anything other than cheap, inefficient speakers. Not a lot of bottom end, so no real 'thump' from your cabinet. Grabbing the old speakers out of a Crate would be better. Really. I've grabbed speakers from a Behringer (of all brands) that my Long & McQuade was scrapping (with a blown circuit board), and they sounded much better than any Marsland.
    If I may bore you to tears with a story: A while ago my friend picked up a vintage Super Reverb without any speakers. He had a 70's Traynor 4 x 10" cab, that he thought he could use the speakers from, and be rocking a Blackface SR. Saved him money, and he had a great old Super Reverb, right? Sure, and I'll take that empty cabinet off of your hands. :D
    He wanted to show me how his Blackface SR sounded 'better' than my drip-edge SR, just because his was older and a Blackface. OK, no problem. He couldn't for the life him understand how he had a 'really good' tone, but the amp was on '10'. Mine? I disconnected the tremolo control, and literally buried him in tone and volume, with mine on '4'. :eek: Now volume isn't everything, but the Marsland speakers just don't have a fat tone to them, to add insult to injury. For a while my friend used his SR 'as is', bragging he got 'really good' tone at a more manageable stage volume (of course he also had a pedal board the size of a door). :rolleyes: Now? He's nothing but praise over his SR with Guitar Warehouse speakers. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

6. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I really think the reason Traynor never took off in the '70s was those Marslands holding them back. I've got a YGM-3 and a YBA-4 that sound great after I put new speakers in 'em (Weber Blue Dog ceramic and Emi Big Ben, respectively).

7. TeleShredder

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    So I won't have to take the back off to test it with a multi meter?
    I rather not have to take the back off some of the screw are pretty stripped.

8. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Nope, just stick a cable in the jack and measure resistance between the tip and sleeve on the other end. It probably won't come out to exactly 8 or 16 ohms, but it'll be close to one or the other. I'm going to guess 16.

TeleShredder and JustABluesGuy like this.

9. TeleShredder

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    I got a multi meter off a friend who's a mechanic.
    The exact reading is 9.1 HAHAHAHA.
    so I assume it's 8?

Thanks bys for the help

10. TeleShredder

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    The top jack is rated at 32.... The hell...

11. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

May 23, 2003
    Canada
    Here's some info from the Traynor "Legacy" site showing that this cab was intended as a P.A. speaker.

http://traynoramps.com/legacy/vintage/product/ysc-4/

I agree with the general comments about the Marsland speakers, although I have a mid-70's Guitar Mate Reverb amp with a 12" Marsland alnico that sounds great. To be fair, I'm using it as a practice amp so I can't vouch for how it would perform at gig levels.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You can read the DC resistance at the jack.

But it may give you a skewed *impedance* impression because you have NO idea if the speakers are even wired correctly, if they are the same impedance, mixed, different types of speakers...

It's always a bad idea - and possibly unhealthy for either the speakers or your amp - to just plug in a cabinet without opening it up and verifying 1) what is inside, and 2) checking the wiring.

Stripped screws are a poor excuse. Drill them out and replace them.

The fact they are stripped makes me hitchy to start with and indicates that the back has been off multiple times. Why? I'd have that back off before ever hooking it up.

CoyotesGator likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.