70s Strats... ANY good ones?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Matthias, Mar 3, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

There were plenty of perfectly fine Strats made in the seventies.

When I was in my twenties, I taught guitar in a music store, in the SF Bay Area, throughout the 1970s.

Strats were my favorite solid body electrics at that time and I played plenty of new Strats during those years. Most were perfectly fine guitars that a great many guitar players loved, including guitarists of the day like Jimi Hendrix, who got along just fine with seventies Strats. :D

My 1976, that I still have today, came from that music shop in 1976.

[​IMG]

It had -and to this day still has- an almost unbelievably low action, a perfectly straight neck, and great tone. I have no doubt that there are plenty of other seventies, eighties, nineties, etc. Strats that are excellent guitars.

BUT, if I was shopping for a Strat today, unless there happened to be some nostalgic reason to buy an old Strat, I'd just buy a new Player, Performer, or Professional, or a lightly used Standard or American Special, be happy as a clam, and never look back! Strats from current and recent years production are better than they've ever been.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    thunderbyrd and RoyBGood like this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Buddy of mine had a couple brand
    new ones back in the day. (70s)
    One that kept going out of tune
    he blamed on the 3bolts.

3. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Do your research and see if a 70's Strat is really what you want.

4. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

The 70s Strats that are now going up in value - now in the $3-4k range - are an interesting case study in the price of nostalgia. An American Standard is at least as good a guitar (if not better) as an average 70s Strat, and can be had for about $800 across a number of year models.

kookaburra and DHart like this.
  5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Nostalgia is certainly a factor for some buyers. Not for me as a buyer today. I have a 1976 Strat because I bought mine in 1976 and have kept it all these years. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy an old Strat today, though.

I agree, a lightly-used recent production American Standard makes much more economic sense and is probably a better guitar.

6. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I've encountered many over the years. They are certainly not all bad. I wouldn't, however, buy one I haven't played yet. They do have a tendency to be a little brighter sounding than either earlier or more "vintage styled" examples.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think 3 bolt was a running change in '70.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Every one for sale is "one of the good ones."

9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Every Strat for sale, regardless of the vintage is "one of the good ones." :lol:

You can get good ones and (a few) messed up Strats, from any time period.

The smart money (if value and build quality matters) is buying lightly-used American Standards, inspected in person or returnable, from the last 5 to 8 years, or so. ;)

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I always liked the looks of the big headstock models, especially the black on black, maple FB models.

I remember seeing one at a shop in the 80's for about $800. Might as well been $10,000 to teenage me.

I finally bought a similar one: 1983 Squier SQ. Great neck pocket fit, sweet sounding pickups, light sen body.

My only complaint is a matter of preference: the neck is a little skinny for my giant meathooks.

I suppose 1983 ain't vintage yet, but give it time...

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Strats are parts guitars. Parts guitars are good. Therefore all Strats are good.

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.