Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

69 Thinline build with body found in a dumpster...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Kriticaster, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    I’m going to leave the body as it is, will replace the guard at some point... it’s an €8 purchase, so not going to cry about it...

Why no holes on guard? There are only 3 that line up, all around the neck pocket... that’s not much support for the rest of it...

2. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Yes the neck pup will be hard mounted... that lines up at least

cloink50 likes this.
  3. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    I don’t quite get this, but do you mean a gap somewhere?

Bridge Pickup - nope, fits well...

Body and bridge meeting - nope, all looks good so far...

What’cha mean man??

4. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    I’d better get some sleep... just watched the World Cup Semi Final - England v Croatia - match live with a British buddy, he took it hard...

I’m technically a Brit but was born in New Zealand, so only support England on big games like this...

Don’t tell anyone but I’d actually be surprised if they won it...

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    No one drills extra holes in the guard because they don't align with the body holes. You just use the guard holes and drill, and forget about the body holes, which are covered by the guard anyway.

fattboyzz, Kriticaster and hellopike like this.
  6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're putting a narrower vintage bridge on a body which might have had a slightly wider modern bridge.

So when you screw your bridge down, you may very likely see a bit of bridge pup rout exposed, at either the top or bottom.

A "butt crack." It doesn't fully cover the rout.

It is very, very common, so if you see that, don't freak out.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Kriticaster likes this.
  7. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Ok so this makes sense to me if the pick-guard is standard and the body holes are non-standard...

But how do I tell which is which?

And I guess, why? Why aren’t my body holes standard?

What a weird thing to do to a guitar... But then lots of weird stuff has happened to this guitar...

8. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Ah I get it now!

From initial tests everything fit well... and I got the ‘vintage’ bridge thinking it would fit on this ‘vintage’ guitar... so hopefully all will be ok...

Let’s see how it goes... a few more coats of the tung oil today, and maybe a few more tomorrow... looking for the wood to darken a little more, but off to a good start

Skamania likes this.
  9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, it's a common thing.

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Good luck!

11. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Thanks to @Club40 for the heads up...

Apparently my guitar body is a Fender Custom Shop 50’s thinline tele... so the standard guard doesn’t fit...

I’ve now been able to find those guitars online, but not just the pick guard... and I can’t afford $€£3000+ just to strip the guard off

But this is what I imagine my guitar must have started as...

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5376.JPG

Why someone would want to strip such a guitar is beyond me...

If I’d known what she started as I might have taken a different approach with the rebuild... such as getting a rosewood board and neck... but no worries...

Now I just need to find one of those guards!

Skamania likes this.
  12. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    That doesn't look like a modern in the picture.

I couldn't get the proper scale length with a modern but a vintage measured right, should be an easy way to tell

Kriticaster likes this.
  13. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    I’m confused. Besides the color, what is the difference between the pickguard you bought, and what was on the guitar originally? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The holes also look
    To be approximately inthe same locations. Just drill new holes in the body which correspond to the holes in the new pickguard. You’re working with a body that already has been stripped, sanded, scored and thrown out- and suddenly you’re hesitant to drill several new holes? Seems silly to me.

Ira7 likes this.
  14. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought a (cheap Chinese) scratchplate for my Strat (an early MIK from the Samick factory in Korea that used to make Strat clones): not one of the holes lined up! Just plugged them all with matchsticks and got drilling...

15. Just buy a piece of picguard flatstock and make your own. Drill the holes in the new guard to match the body. Few hours work & easy peasy.

Eric

16. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Only 3 of the 12 holes line up, the pick guard is a fairly different shape, especially at the control panel end, it’s half an inch or so longer than the original holes... and the lower horn is different too...

So basically it’s meant for quite a different guitar...

I’ll probably use it until I can get the right one, but I’d rather use the right one...

Yes it’s been stripped, sanded, scored, (stained badly) and thrown out... but not by me!

I guess I want to do right by the body, and drilling a bunch of new holes for an €8 pick guard seems silly to me...

But yes I take your point... I simply disagree with it ;)

eallen likes this.
  17. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    I thought about this but it’s actually something I feel I wouldn’t do a very good job of...

I don’t have the tools to cut a sheet of plastic into a pickguard...

How to get the nice bevelled edge? The nice rounded pickup hole... kitchen scissors ain’t gonna cut it (pun intended) nor will a Stanley knife blade...

I’ve worked in enough kitchens to know that I don’t want my hands near sharp blades and hard substances that don’t like being cut...

It would cost more to buy the tools than just to get a new guard...

Possibly a music shop in Heraklion could cut a custom guard for me... I’ll look into that option...

18. I understand the hesitation. But the most you can do is waste a piece of pickguard material, and learn a ton even if you do. I have a ton of tools but honestly when it comes to pickguards I just use basic ones. I originally used a jigsaw, and even a removable blade coping saw, before tool accumulation. You can do most of the shaping by hand file and sand paper.

For the edge bevel, I have just used a file held at an angle in the early days before a router table. Finish the bevel with sandpaper on flat sanding blocks. Use a round rod with sandpaper for inside curves. I have also shaved the bevel with a utility knife, just dont slip and gouge the surface of the guard.

To get the hole location when the body is already drilled, lay a peice of paper over the body and scribble over the holes with a pencil. Then lay the paper on the new pickguard and mark the locations. A bit of patience and work & baboom!

Eric

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Kriticaster likes this.
  19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Why in the world would anyone do that? Drill holes in the guard to match the body?

It makes no sense.

hellopike likes this.
  20. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I would ignore this advice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.